SLed done for the year

SRXChris

Had it out yesterday for it's last ride and thats what it turned out to be'.  Pretty sure it melted the a piston on a lake run across Limerick.  WOT hit 106 and fell on it's face, rpms dropped from 8600-7000 like that.

Seemed low on power so I limped it back to my truck but 100 meters from the backfiring started and barely made it on trailer.

Brought it home and pulled plug tip was smashed shut.  Pulled exhaust and dumped the metal out and pulled powervalve out to see the damage it received, wasnt perty.  It's to bad I really loved this sled and the trails were perfect for it yesterday all hardpacked and smooth.  Mulling over options right now as I need to tear the rest down to find full extent of damage.  A little down on myself and sled as I've invested some time and money into it and now no ride.  Might have been my last foray into sledding as I never have much luck with them..

Condolences for sure.  My last sled died on the last trip of the season too.

3 Skidoos all with toasted engines but all were second hand and high Kms but never abused and well maintained.

All 3 were in close proximity to Bent Toys in Redbridge where they were parted out and I left with some cash each time.

With this weather it really is hard to justify the $$$

29 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Condolences for sure.  My last sled died on the last trip of the season too.

3 Skidoos all with toasted engines but all were second hand and high Kms but never abused and well maintained.

All 3 were in close proximity to Bent Toys in Redbridge where they were parted out and I left with some cash each time.

With this weather it really is hard to justify the $$$

You had like 27,000 km's on that grand touring? Can't expect much more. So far only blown one engine and that was on an air free sled 78 Polaris. 

Sorry to hear, I also blew the engine. My 2000 srx. I have lots of used srx parts. I should be able to help you out if you want to keep the old iron going for next year...or this year

3 hours ago, SRXChris said:

Had it out yesterday for it's last ride and thats what it turned out to be'.  Pretty sure it melted the a piston on a lake run across Limerick.  WOT hit 106 and fell on it's face, rpms dropped from 8600-7000 like that.

Seemed low on power so I limped it back to my truck but 100 meters from the backfiring started and barely made it on trailer.

Brought it home and pulled plug tip was smashed shut.  Pulled exhaust and dumped the metal out and pulled powervalve out to see the damage it received, wasnt perty.  It's to bad I really loved this sled and the trails were perfect for it yesterday all hardpacked and smooth.  Mulling over options right now as I need to tear the rest down to find full extent of damage.  A little down on myself and sled as I've invested some time and money into it and now no ride.  Might have been my last foray into sledding as I never have much luck with them.    

you will likely find that the destruction includes the crank . It may be time to upgrade lots of great deals at this time 

A friend holed a piston on his SRX back in '07 up on TOP A. I think it had around 21,000 klicks on it.

He wasn't impressed w/ what he got for trade in value even though the sled was in showroom condition. He thought it should've been worth more. It might've been if the motor was OK.

The way I looked @ it, they gave him money for something that would've/could've ended up costing him a lot to fix & he'd still have a sled w/ 21,000 klicks on it.

After finding out what happened to my REV & getting the price on a new sled. I told the sales guy, that I had a 'boat anchor' in the service dep't. He'd talk to the boss. When I went in to do the deal, I was happy w/ the allowance they would give me. If I had fixed the sled & then sold it, I would've still been in the hole.

Now I've got a sled w/ nearly 400 klicks on it & I'm quite happy w/ it's handling & performance. 

40 minutes ago, revrnd said:

A friend holed a piston on his SRX back in '07 up on TOP A. I think it had around 21,000 klicks on it.

He wasn't impressed w/ what he got for trade in value even though the sled was in showroom condition. He thought it should've been worth more. It might've been if the motor was OK.

The way I looked @ it, they gave him money for something that would've/could've ended up costing him a lot to fix & he'd still have a sled w/ 21,000 klicks on it.

After finding out what happened to my REV & getting the price on a new sled. I told the sales guy, that I had a 'boat anchor' in the service dep't. He'd talk to the boss. When I went in to do the deal, I was happy w/ the allowance they would give me. If I had fixed the sled & then sold it, I would've still been in the hole.

Now I've got a sled w/ nearly 400 klicks on it & I'm quite happy w/ it's handling & performance. 

sometimes you just have to bury the dead 

Roasting engines is never fun. That dreaded whoooooar sound

The way you feel now will pass, its really all about learning how to accept the parameters of snowmobiling to be able to enjoy the sport properly. No one ever said it was cheap though

Don’t give up on sledding that easy. I bet you were grinning at 106 mph. There is a very tiny percentage of sledders that have not had a meltdown. Take some time and weigh your options. Awesome couple of weeks to buy , maybe look for a donor sled  for parts.

Took heads off found exhaust side piston severely melted, metal from it took out my powervalve.  Jug is gouged bad and top of head full of metal.  Centre cylinder was starting to go as well tip of piston stating to melt and that jug may have slight damage at top.  PTO side is fine.  I haven't made it to bottom end yet but crank all bearings and rods looks obsolete from Yamaha for 2001.

I'll post up some pics of the damage but looks leaned out, carbs were just cleaned 2 weeks prior as well as new plugs and plug caps installed.  So far in need of 3 pistons/rings and jugs.  Still have spare set blue tops. 

8 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Sorry to hear, I also blew the engine. My 2000 srx. I have lots of used srx parts. I should be able to help you out if you want to keep the old iron going for next year...or this year

Appreciate that.

7 hours ago, Wildbill said:

you will likely find that the destruction includes the crank . It may be time to upgrade lots of great deals at this time 

I hope not or it may be parted out as those parts are obsolete from Yamaha.

I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago. Just let it stew for a bit before you decide what to do. Good thing is your not missing out on good riding!

How many klicks were on the sled?

14 hours ago, Poo Man said:

I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago. Just let it stew for a bit before you decide what to do. Good thing is your not missing out on good riding!

Some of the best riding I had was on Saturday, trails were perfect.   They probably still are.....

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

How many klicks were on the sled?

SRX 700? Sell for parts and replace the machine. It's not worth cost to fix, you did fantastic on getting those miles out of it imo. Nothing negative about it aside from saying fare the well to an old trusted soldier of the snow. Not trying to be a meanie, trying to save you hassle and money and keep you having fun

Hope this wasnt "too soon" advice ;)

I miss my srx 700 like crazy and wish I still had it especially for those days the trails are groomed to perfection! The power, handling & sound of a triple/triple is untouchable!

id say if you absolutely love the machine, look for a used complete engine. You should be able to pick one up for around $1000. Drop it in and go! Just depends if you plan on keeping it for a few more years. It’s still cheaper than a new sled! Now if you want a new sled, that’s fine too...part out the srx and get your money back. You can’t loose either way. There is a guy in Kitchener that has a complete engine for sale. Look on kijiji...

5 hours ago, crispy said:

SRX 700? Sell for parts and replace the machine. It's not worth cost to fix, you did fantastic on getting those miles out of it imo. Nothing negative about it aside from saying fare the well to an old trusted soldier of the snow. Not trying to be a meanie, trying to save you hassle and money and keep you having fun

Hope this wasnt "too soon" advice ;)

Crispy, my thoughts exactly on how I dealt w/ my situation. Other than the motor issues, I liked the REV. I was happy what the dealer gave me & saved me dealing w/ idgits on online if I had parted it out. 

Well I'm leaning towards a rebuild rather than buy another.  I can do the teardown and top end rebuild myself.  The parts would be under 1000 if nothing needed for bottom end.  I've already toen it down to bottom end just need to pull clutch and yank it out.  Anyone with a Yamaha clutch puller they want to part with?

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Ive seen his ads.  That one is a 99 my is an 01.  There are some differences I believe that wouldn't be a direct drop in.

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I miss my srx 700 like crazy and wish I still had it especially for those days the trails are groomed to perfection! The power, handling & sound of a triple/triple is untouchable!

id say if you absolutely love the machine, look for a used complete engine. You should be able to pick one up for around $1000. Drop it in and go! Just depends if you plan on keeping it for a few more years. It’s still cheaper than a new sled! Now if you want a new sled, that’s fine too...part out the srx and get your money back. You can’t loose either way. There is a guy in Kitchener that has a complete engine for sale. Look on kijiji...

I love the Yamaha SRX's.    I always planned on keeping it even after I was looking at newer four strokes this year.  I planned on keeping it for my 2 stroke fix and those perfect trails conditions, just wasn't expecting to rebuild it this year. 

1 hour ago, SRXChris said:

Well I'm leaning towards a rebuild rather than buy another.  I can do the teardown and top end rebuild myself.  The parts would be under 1000 if nothing needed for bottom end.  I've already toen it down to bottom end just need to pull clutch and yank it out.  Anyone with a Yamaha clutch puller they want to part with?

I have one that you can borrow.  I wouldn't want to part with it, though.  I might need it again in the future, but right now, all my Vectors have PB-80 clutches and they require a different puller.

Archived