L143

signfan

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Anyone know why this trail is listed as limited?  Is it plowed for logging?

Screenshot_20180216-021438.thumb.png.1e4d3feef9919556c052a0c23e20b05f.png

L143 between Kap and L123 ..... is this what you mean ?

Wtf are they thinking naming 2 trails the same.... 

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Wtf are they thinking naming 2 trails the same.... 

I wonder if it happened because they are in different districts and nobody caught onto it until now??

I rode L143 from timmins to Gogama last week.  Its a new trail, thin on snow and very tight and twisty.  To be honest, as much as I appreciate the efforts of all those involved in getting it open, I'd avoid it.  It was a very slow ride.

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I wonder if it happened because they are in different districts and nobody caught onto it until now??

It has occurred in other areas as well. Two trail 15's not that far away from each other. Someone will be talking about 15 and then we realize we are each thinking about two different trails. (shown in blue) One runs north off of C trail just south of Port Severn towards 14 and B105 to get to Severn Falls. The other runs north from Port Stanton toward Gravenhurst. There is also a trail 16 that runs west from D trail toward Lake Muskoka (top right corner below that I didn't mark) and a trail 16 in Port Severn that runs west from C trail passing under hwy 400 and running toward Honey Harbour. Different clubs and districts but you would kind of think that there would have been a way to avoid duplicate trail numbers.

Capture1.JPG.576bdf557eefe08da46005366e3cea68.JPG

3 hours ago, FishHog said:

I rode L143 from timmins to Gogama last week.  Its a new trail, thin on snow and very tight and twisty.  To be honest, as much as I appreciate the efforts of all those involved in getting it open, I'd avoid it.  It was a very slow ride.

How long did it take you to get from Timmins to Gogama?

I didn't really time it, but I'm guessing 2.5hr or so.  I did look at my average pace on my GPS and it was 35kph, so I guess you could do the math.  The scenery was nice, but it was very tight and you spent an awful lot of time worrying about someone else being on the otherside of a tight blind corner.

7 hours ago, FishHog said:

Did you mean to write "from timmins to Gogama"  or   Timmins to Gowganda?. 

We rode it also last week from Timmins to Gowganda and it is a slow twisty trail. A lot of new sections and a good call with it being yellow. It is not the old fast and straight Grassy Narrow road. It will be an alternative route when the C is being logged. I couldn't access my gps track or i could give you the exact timing.

Is the C trail through shiny tree and Gogama faster running?  Looking to run from New Liskeard to Timmins.  300 km is usually the limit when riding with my wife.  Might push it some, but wondering if the entire 410 km is all fast trail or not.  Don’t want to push my luck with her too much.

12 hours ago, signfan said:

Is the C trail through shiny tree and Gogama faster running?  Looking to run from New Liskeard to Timmins.  300 km is usually the limit when riding with my wife.  Might push it some, but wondering if the entire 410 km is all fast trail or not.  Don’t want to push my luck with her too much.

I wouldn't consider the C trail from Gogama to Timmins to be a fast trail but from the reports above it may be faster than the new L143 route. I'm guessing your wife wouldn't be too impressed by the time you got to Timmins.

From the Quality Inn at Liskeard to the Super 8 in Timmins is 347 km. if you stick to the A trail as much as possible. You can't do that this year with the A closed north of Elk Lake.

Gents and Ladies

11 Feb 2018

NL  waterfront Inn to Auld Reekie lodge is 160Km,  departing at 0815, arrived about 1130 hrs.

AR Lodge to Esso in Timmins is 158KM,  departed AR 1230, fueled  at 1711 hrs.

New lower L143 route takes you off of the a large portion of the 30km of road from last March. But, new route is rough and is slow. Lower L143 has a water crossing which we went around, as heading north, unless we tried to tail stand the crossing, would likely have put our skies under the far side. This same water crossing had an in prompt detour last March.

I expect that Urs will leave the bottom of L143 yellow, and I support this status. It is open but deserves significant rider attention.

I should state that we stop about every hour for a 10 to 15 min social stop.

We are in gowganda now and Urs is out grooming it today 

Archived