Rockys!

Baylaker

anyone know how the cabins are at rockys in Sudbury? ive been in the restaurant and it was pretty cool. but have no idea on their cabins. they sleep 4 and are only $60 night. any info is greatly appreciated! we're booked in for next weekend 23, 24 & 25th....

The food is fanstastic and you get gas also. Never slept there...  but would be nice to wake up there to Lake Wanapitei with a sunrise. Go for it I'd say..... after a day of snowmobiling any cabin would do at $60 bucks.

The rooms at Rock's were discussed on this forum about a month ago but for the life of me I can't find the thread. Someone even posted pics of the cabins. The thing that I can remember is that the cabins don't have running water and there is one shower/washroom building.

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The rooms at Rock's were discussed on this forum about a month ago but for the life of me I can't find the thread. Someone even posted pics of the cabins. The thing that I can remember is that the cabins don't have running water and there is one shower/washroom building.

Uh oh, that kinda sucks about the washroom/running water situation....not sure how the girlfriend will like that

22 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Uh oh, that kinda sucks about the washroom/running water situation....not sure how the girlfriend will like that

If it was my wife and there wasn't any running water or a washroom and she had to go for a walk, especially in the middle of the night, I would pay big time.

23 minutes ago, Canuck said:

thanks canuck

Baylaker....  women need to have their fuss time also running water with bathroom and toilet. Don't want to turn her off from snowmobiling ....  make other arrangements.

Rocky's to Chateau Guay is not that far away ....  just a suggestion. :ph34r:  That depends on if Lake Wanapitei is frozen and staked to Skead.

The lake is staked, but DO NOT go to CG unless soupkids confirms that the trail in has been groomed.  Last weekend, the trail was very rough in general and the section from 20 K north to CG had not been groomed in over a week!!!!  Maybe try the place in Chelmsford ( see post by SudsJeff in this thread.)  or Windy Lake.

6 hours ago, Baylaker said:

"An outhouse builds character"  - Winston Churchill

I can guarantee  that the trail will be groomed by the weekend.

There is a poker run out of royal this weekend. 

6 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I can guarantee  that the trail will be groomed by the weekend.

There is a poker run out of royal this weekend. 

Are you able to let me know if it’ll be groomed next weekend? That would be greatly appreciated! We canceled at Rockys and booked at moonlight inn instead.

"You can't sled from here to there". That was the issue for folks staying at Chateau Guay and Moonlight last weekend (and prior?)

We had to trailer to Garson from Moonlight Hotel. 10 minutes by truck. Garson is a great launch spot. Snowmobile Groomer yard ("STP" - Sudbury Trail Plan).  Just follow the groomer path out, LOL

I'd rate hotels proximate to Sudbury snowmobile trails as:

1. Moonlight (it has continental breakfast included). Very clean. 

2. Northland  Motel (Chelmsford) - http://www.northland-motel.ca/West of the others. Trail north of there can get beat up. Would stay there if heading south, to Killarney / Manitoulin Island.  Note that superior rooms (as they are called, are on ground floor. Something like 18 room on ground floor. And 18 rooms in basement. Stick with ground floor...pleasantly surprised by heated (or at least not cold) floor because of basement.

3. Chateau Guay - my old favourite (with onsite restaurant), but that was before seeing the super clean Moonlight and Northland. 

Look, these are modest hotels with a small degree of difference.

Sportsman's is it's own animal and we've never stayed at Rocky's, Motel 6 or Ambassador.

Chelmsfold was an eye opener - wide open out there. Don't need to traverse kms of trails before you actually get to open 'er up. Proximate to Windy Lake and that western loop.

32 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Are you able to let me know if it’ll be groomed next weekend? 

We reviewed the Groomer SPOT trackers the night before heading out. Just in case someone on forum hasn't seen it before, here's the link:

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Archived