Helmet Suggestions

johnsazzr

It was just one of those days...freezing rain when it was -15 out.  Glove squeegee/scraper couldn't do a dang thing.  I was stopping every 5 minutes and scraping it off with a credit card.  Ended up riding with the visor up and freezing my eyeballs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Grimm said:

It was just one of those days...freezing rain when it was -15 out.  Glove squeegee/scraper couldn't do a dang thing.  I was stopping every 5 minutes and scraping it off with a credit card.  Ended up riding with the visor up and freezing my eyeballs.

I tried riding with the visor up just enough that I could peek out under it. I wear glasses and unfortunately there was enough mist coming in the opening that they were now icing up as well while the face was getting cold. De-ice the glasses and face shield only to find that the temp difference and the moisture still on the lenses of the glasses caused them to fog up for a minute or two. It was just below freezing that day.

Someone told me after the fact that they keep a tiny spray bottle of windshield washer fluid in their sled just in case they hit one of those days.

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

That is what those plastic key cards from hotels are good for.

5 hours ago, Grimm said:

The electric shield on any brand helmet is not designed for de-icing.  It's for defogging.

This happened to me a few years ago.

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

You are mistaken my friend.  I once bought a helmet with electric shield, that the heating element was outside .... would only be useful on days like the one pictured .... Still have the helmet, ditched the shield ....

That certainly would have been helpful that day.  Maybe a shield with an inner and outer electric element.

• 2 weeks later...

finally tried the Modular 3 and the BVS2 today...not crazy about the snorkel system and snaps on the Modular 3...loved the BVS2 ...just have to decide electric or not...I wear glasses so have to avoid any potential for fogging

8 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

finally tried the Modular 3 and the BVS2 today...not crazy about the snorkel system and snaps on the Modular 3...loved the BVS2 ...just have to decide electric or not...I wear glasses so have to avoid any potential for fogging

Neither will fog with glasses on. The Bv2s is a warmer design no doubt. Mouth piece is fully adjustable (telescopic can gently pull it out to make it longer oo push it in to make it shorter). Can then turn it a few turns to get perfect fit. 

Modular is nice too but harder to breath thru snorkel system when it is really cold out, tubes tend to ice up. 

Modular snaps can break so if you go that route buy a few extra ones and carry them with you. 

Many people find you don't need electric with either helmet and electric visor won't help in freezing rain either. 

Good luck. 

16 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Ordered/snowchecked a new Ski doo Oxygen helmet. Will give a review once i use it.. looks neat.  Climate controlled, and sled activated brake light. Time will tell..

So whole inside of helmet is heated not just the shield? 

I wear glasses so fogging is important to me as well. We have the BRP Mod 2 and like it. We have never had any of the tubes freeze up however we don't ride below -25 typically. We did go out at -29 once but didn't last more than a couple of hours then called it quit. Just too quick out on the ice with the wind blowing. (Still no icing problems in the tubes) Fogging has never been a problem. The worst ever was tiny tiny corners of the lens closest to the nose. A quick wiggle adjustment of the mask and that was resolved. It just wasn't positioned well.

Never had one of the snaps break on the mask to the helmet. What did happen though was my wife has a habit  of unhooking one side only and letting the mask dangle. On the one side that dangles the plastic kept flexing and finally cracked.

As for the heated shield, never needed or wanted it. We were out in the freezing rain a few weeks ago and it doesn't help having a heated shield. Those with us that had it iced up just as fast as those that didn't.

Lessons learned by friends over the years that have a heated shield. Carry your breath mask regardless. Your heated shield fails and it fogs up quickly. The breath mask can address that. OR it's a very cold ride back with the face shield open. Same thing if the cord fails which it likely will. Too many times I've seen people get off the sled and forget to unplug. Hence the need to carry a spare cord.

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Ordered/snowchecked a new Ski doo Oxygen helmet. Will give a review once i use it.. looks neat.  Climate controlled, and sled activated brake light. Time will tell..

Paige and I are planning to try this one also.

Coming this fall.

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Yes.  Shield is not heated. Controller for levels of heat/etc. Plugs into regular heated visor cord hookup. Going to give it a try.  Been using HJC modulars for years now. Going to try something different. 

Sounds neat. I wonder how long heating elements in helmet will last? Brp gear quality is top notch though. I might have to order a new bucket too. 

I, m waiting till the fall as well by then the Chinese will have a knock with more bells and whistles , retailing at  $ 199.  Maybe .

6 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Are you sure it's a brake activated light?  I thought it was just a running light.

ordered the bvs2 non electric...got 30% off....heading  to New Liskeard area for a few nights in March Break....trails look decent and expecting more snow

7 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

ordered the bvs2 non electric...got 30% off....heading  to New Liskeard area for a few nights in March Break....trails look decent and expecting more snow

John, beware that the trails/ fields west and north of Liskeard were already showing brown spots and rocks peaking through last Tuesday. It appears that they never got alot of snow to build a good base with this year. Anywhere you were in the bush was OK. Have a good holiday!

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

John, beware that the trails/ fields west and north of Liskeard were already showing brown spots and rocks peaking through last Tuesday. It appears that they never got alot of snow to build a good base with this year. Anywhere you were in the bush was OK. Have a good holiday!

they have had snow since then and more to come...have seen many photos from friday Temagami through New Liskeard and today from Marten River and it all looks

good..

I am due for new bucket. The CKX with the electric goggles was at the top of the list, but this new BRP helmet looks interesting. I like the more modern electric shield, it functions as a normal electric shield with elements  but the connection is in the hinge and the cord is a magnet on the back of the helmet, and the fact that the space where the sun visor retracts is heated also heats the helmet as well as makes what is often useless, the frozen sun visor, now always ready to use. The flashlight on the front option also may be a life saver and it has a battery that also allows it to charge and be used with the sled powered down. Lots of thought went into this one and the only thing that may keep me away would be price.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:57 PM, IQ TURBO said:

Yes.  Shield is not heated. Controller for levels of heat/etc. Plugs into regular heated visor cord hookup. Going to give it a try.  Been using HJC modulars for years now. Going to try something different. 

The shield is heated with elements. The power runs through the hinge, and the space where the sun visor retracts is also heated keeping the visor and the helmet warm. I do like the variable heat levels.

if anyone wants a BRP Modular 3 or BVS2....there is a dealer near Ottawa that has their remaining stock at 30% off...which is limited depending upon sizing....check Kijiji for their ad or google Maximum Powersports Hawkesbury....$16 shipping for me to Lindsay Ont via Purolator over 450km away...I got last large BVS2 non electric...they had 1 large electric...they also had both in extra large and various Mod 3....check your sizing at local dealer first....I was a clear XL in the Modular 3 and perfect large in the BVS2...it is tight fitting over the ears when you pull it on but then it is exquisite...

1 hour ago, johnsazzr said:

if anyone wants a BRP Modular 3 or BVS2....there is a dealer near Ottawa that has their remaining stock at 30% off...which is limited depending upon sizing....check Kijiji for their ad or google Maximum Powersports Hawkesbury....$16 shipping for me to Lindsay Ont via Purolator over 450km away...I got last large BVS2 non electric...they had 1 large electric...they also had both in extra large and various Mod 3....check your sizing at local dealer first....I was a clear XL in the Modular 3 and perfect large in the BVS2...it is tight fitting over the ears when you pull it on but then it is exquisite...

I saw those, 450 for an electric BVS2, good deal for sure, being you could use it two years and sell it for 300.

8 hours ago, zoso said:

I saw those, 450 for an electric BVS2, good deal for sure, being you could use it two years and sell it for 300.

I would never buy or sell a used helmet!!! 

Archived