Helmet Suggestions

johnsazzr

My Gmax modular helmet is toast...broke at the hinge....looking to get get something better quality.

-prefer modular but tempted to go with something hybrid I can also use with my new Can Am Max650

-must have electric W S

-2 most important wants are noise levels and warmth in cold weather

-budget...200-500

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

My Gmax modular helmet is toast...broke at the hinge....looking to get get something better quality.

-prefer modular but tempted to go with something hybrid I can also use with my new Can Am Max650

-must have electric W S

-budget...200-500

I have heard very good thing about the new CKX Titan. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

Ckx titan gets my vote.   I bought the electric goggles and have not had to use them yet.  The ckx rep told me to wear it wrong the first time out and I got frost bite.  My buddy showed me the right way and I love it now.

I wear glasses so would likely need the electric goggles with the Titan....looking at it online and also the Ski Doo Modular 3

take a  look at castle x 950 . Modular with peak . Good quality 

I have a Titan and love it. My buddy also bought one this year and we got caught last week in -25 to -35 and no matter what we did with his, he was always getting too much moisture in his goggles. We changed balaclavas removed clothing, he swapped goggles with mine. No matter what we tried he had too much moisture in his and mine was always fine. One dealer told us it had to be defective and to return it. Mine i will keep as the light weight is nice, but you do need to have it set up right.

48 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

I have a Titan and love it. My buddy also bought one this year and we got caught last week in -25 to -35 and no matter what we did with his, he was always getting too much moisture in his goggles. We changed balaclavas removed clothing, he swapped goggles with mine. No matter what we tried he had too much moisture in his and mine was always fine. One dealer told us it had to be defective and to return it. Mine i will keep as the light weight is nice, but you do need to have it set up right.

That is very odd. oh and gross on trading balaclavas. are you to dating...

Yes it was a special day to be able to share balaclavas...:ph34r:

It took us 2 hours to do 35km on 400km day, you will try anything. Besides he got the used one, i had two fresh ones in my backpack.

It isn't sledding if there is not a challenge.

it seems CKX is out of stock for the season on electric goggle models ....I may wait until Peterborough Snowmobile show in the fall to try a few

16 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

-must have electric W S

-budget...200-500

Brp modular 2. Parts always available. Mine is a modular 1, had it since 1998. still works great after about 45,000 km's. 

15 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Brp modular 2. Parts always available. Mine is a modular 1, had it since 1998. still works great after about 45,000 km's. 

X2 - My wife and I each have one and they are great. I too wear glasses and the breath deflector works extremely well. I have never had any fogging problems. One time only did I find the bottom corners of the lenses closest to my nose with a tiny bit of fogging. A quick slight movement of the breath mask and no more problem. I don't have a heated visor and have never needed it. Last Sunday we got freezing rain and the face shield kept icing up. The key factor is that those in the group with heated visors also had theirs ice up.

If you do go with a heated visor everyone I speak to says be sure to carry an extra power cord for it. Apparently the RCA plugs have a habit of failing. If it fails out on the trail and you don't have a spare cord it could be a very cold ride back.

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

X2 - My wife and I each have one and they are great. I too wear glasses and the breath deflector works extremely well. I have never had any fogging problems. One time only did I find the bottom corners of the lenses closest to my nose with a tiny bit of fogging. A quick slight movement of the breath mask and no more problem. I don't have a heated visor and have never needed it. Last Sunday we got freezing rain and the face shield kept icing up. The key factor is that those in the group with heated visors also had theirs ice up.

If you do go with a heated visor everyone I speak to says be sure to carry an extra power cord for it. Apparently the RCA plugs have a habit of failing. If it fails out on the trail and you don't have a spare cord it could be a very cold ride back.

Modular 2 with heated visor is 399 for black. Only plug it in when you have freezing rain. only time I wished I had electric shield. Yes power cords are a pain always forget about them when I get off the sled, had ones in past get caught in track while riding, only to notice when shield stops working. Next helmet will be a modular 2 electric, since it is only 70 more to get electric shield when buying the whole thing, in black. Colours are more. 

Don't buy a Ski Doo EX-2 Enduro helmet at least until they fix the manufacturing defect on the heated visor that delaminates.   I pick up my second replacement visor tomorrow and hopefully it last longer than one day before falling apart. 

I just got back from a week in Quebec and the guys with BRP helmets were not having fog issues but the fact that 1 of them was replacing their power cords daily is enough to turn me off.  

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

I just got back from a week in Quebec and the guys with BRP helmets were not having fog issues but the fact that 1 of them was replacing their power cords daily is enough to turn me off.  

I have a 4 year old BRP BVS2.

No electric shield. 

Driven in minus 35 degrees without fogging up. Great product.

Always thought I'd replace this visor with electric shield. Maybe not.

8 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

what about the modular 3? I can get no electric for $270 and electric for about $350

I have a Modular 3 upgrades from the 2 for a colour change. A bit noisy but tolerable below 120 km/h... :). Non electric both.  They want to start fogging up after a couple of hours at -20 or colder, but a quick removal of residual ice buildup in the vents and it's good to go.  Never fogs up otherwise. 

Note that if you have an extra tall windshield, you're hidden from wind, but no air over the side vents causes moisture to hang around and promote fogging.   My XS REV has the tall windshield, still have enough airflow to suck out moisture. I prefer the noise and no stupid cord.

Btw the chin strap latch is better on the 2 ....

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

I have a 4 year old BRP BVS2.

No electric shield. 

Driven in minus 35 degrees without fogging up. Great product.

Always thought I'd replace this visor with electric shield. Maybe not.

Visors are around 199 or so. Bv2s is a great product too and warmer then modulars. Better to pay abit more up front and get electric shield for Those crappy freezing rain or ice fog days. 

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Visors are around 199 or so. Bv2s is a great product too and warmer then modulars. Better to pay abit more up front and get electric shield for Those crappy freezing rain or ice fog days. 

We were out on Sunday in the freezing rain and those with heated visors iced up just as fast as those without

The electric shield on any brand helmet is not designed for de-icing.  It's for defogging.

This happened to me a few years ago.

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

28 minutes ago, Grimm said:

The electric shield on any brand helmet is not designed for de-icing.  It's for defogging.

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Dam that sucks. I figured new heated visors would be able to keep ice off. Usually I crank my handle bars on high and use heat from my glove to keep my visor clean. Works ok at lower trail speeds. 

Check your gloves to see if they have a plastic scraper built into the back side of the thumb. I have a pair of Scott gloves that has this feature on the left glove and it works great for cleaning the ice off your shield.

1 hour ago, Grimm said:

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

That's what we encountered every 5 to 10 minutes last Sunday. Stop, use the warmth of your hand and the fingernails to scrape the ice off, try and stuff your damp hand back into the glove ride another bit and repeat. Riding in the open iced up so much faster than riding in the bush so rather than run the lakes we took the longer route through the bush.

Archived