2019 Ski-Doo Release Date

Turbo Doo

1 hour ago, Sledguy74 said:

I'm always attracted to the high hp sleds 

I know I don't NEED any of that power but it is fun now and then! 

That is true. I really like doo's 600 etec. I may try 650 if it comes out or new 600 etec. I like light weight and it is plenty fast enough and can get amazing fuel economy. Hard to beat that engine. I am at 9350 km's. Already have one 900 so another etec makes sense. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres never enough horse power, only not enough machine to support it properly. Thats the simple truth with any machinery and sleds especially benefit from that approach. I'm suprised we havent seen a 3-400 horsepower "knock it out of the park" OEM machine yet. Think Dodge Viper and what that car did for Dodge. Practically saved it from oblivion with its legend and hype and its instant target as the go fast machine bar of the day. Then they used that hype to go cab forward designs etc and Dodge grew out of that hole in the early 90's

Now say if Polaris built a 400hp four stroke and detuned it from day 1, it would take the other manufacturers so long to catch up buy the time they did? Polaris would already OWN the best chassis and market sizzle because keeping a sled together and functioning at that power level would prove challenging.

Considering car sales, and the HP games being played Im very surprised this hasnt hit the sled market yet.

Ski-Doo seems blind to this with relatively wimpy 4 strokes. While the new etecs are exciting and their chassis incredible. The only gaping hole in their market dominance is a HUGE hp dominance. Seems Yamaha is wise to this and already moving there building on such a wicked reliability reputation. Ski Doo should be focused on building THE machine made from pure WOW

Polaris could have been leader in four stroke turbo power, but quit after the fst. That sled was stellar at the time. With mountain dominance they have you think they would up skidoo in a new four stroke turbo engine.  

Skidoo with cold air in winter could probably get close to 170 horsepower out of the 900, it will compete head to head with 850 etec, rumours say. With extra weight of turbo you may as well just buy 1200 if you need more power though. 

I also read 850 etec has been designed to delivery 12,000 trouble free km's. 

If the 850 etec has been designed to deliver 12,000 trouble free km's as been suggested this has already been proven to be false many time. Lots of threads here and on dootalk about many issues with the 850 etec.

IF doo really wanted to instil buyer confidence in the new 850, come out with a warranty that will fully cover the engine for 12K kms, period, not this crap calling it 3-4 years, when most won,t put half that mileage on in those years, and your time expires while the sled is sitting in the garage for 10 months a year. Then I might consider owning one. Until then, IF I stay in snowmobiling, I will stick with 4 strokes, which have a much higher chance of being reliable for a longer time.

I'm more than happy with a 4 yr engine warranty 

even my car has a 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty

when warranty runs out time to upgrade!

10 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

I'm always attracted to the high hp sleds 

I know I don't NEED any of that power but it is fun now and then! 

I look at them, think I want one, but reality is I do not. If I analyse my riding over the last years, I rarely have my 125hp pinned, and then for just brief shots on a lake or railbed. I find myself mostly riding no more than 70kmh for 90% of the day a little faster when we lived north. My sled has 90 ft lbs of torque, and it is linear so it pulls hard from engagement all the way to 85mph and will hit 100. Do I want 125 ft lbs,  not sure I need it or would even get into much on these trails. I may buy a used turbo and set it up for lake runs being that we could play with that more down here than a trail sled and it could be fun. I think manus have no need to try for much more out of 2 strokes, and the turbo cat and yama or any do should not press further than where they are stock. If you want more a simple program will get you there and insurance has no need to know.

I am always hoping Skidoo would fix some of the annoying problems they already have on their 1200s. Like the coil connector pin problem, slider wear, belt life.  etc . Oh ya and the annoying need to burp when refuelling lol

19 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

IF doo really wanted to instil buyer confidence w/ any sled, come out with a warranty that will fully cover the engine for 12K kms, period, not this crap calling it 3-4 years, when most won,t put half that mileage on in those years, and your time expires while the sled is sitting in the garage for 10 months a year. Then I might consider owning one. Until then, IF I stay in snowmobiling, I will stick with 4 strokes, which have a much higher chance of being reliable for a longer time.

Exactly! 

After seeing the 1st 600 only last 1 season & the 3rd 600 block last less that 2000 miles, I was done w/ 2 strokes regardless of what I may have said in the past. Mind you the 2nd motor had 11,000 miles on it when swapped out. Maybe I should've just sold it & bought a '15 instead that winter? Mind you I had no seat time in the newer sleds, so I had no way of knowing if I'd like the new sled's ride etc (been there before). My '98 S chassis was a disappointment from my '95 F chassis, even though I went from a 440 to 500. After 3 seasons I bought a MXZ 600 (ZX chassis) & I was quite happy w/ the ride & handling.

The dealer had a 600ETEC in the showroom that would've been cheaper, but I wasn't interested.

The 850 shows a lot of promise and sure there have been some problems, some... most seem very happy. Looks like belt durability has been the biggest but 1000kms per belt is normal to me so? Top end rebuilds at 4k and completes at 8k are pretty standard fair for two strokes.

As for four stroke? V4 block, 750, 1000, and 1500 CC variants with a boosted top dog. 300ish hp will be within easy grasp and for the die hards running race fuel or E85 perhaps, 400 will be a cake walk. Build it to withstand 500hp of head/piston/rod load and then its a one and done deal for 10-20 years coupled with instant market dominance and the V4 will be ideal for narrow chassis fitment for centralized mass. 750 at 100hp, 1000 at 160hp, and the 1500 and 220hp naturally aspirated with a 300+ hp turbo.

Something like that would completely dominate market for ski-doo right now especially with that chassis. Double down for a more relaxed set up, two up convertible type market and the GSX style air suspended rear. Sounds good to me

57 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Exactly! 

After seeing the 1st 600 only last 1 season & the 3rd 600 block last less that 2000 miles, I was done w/ 2 strokes regardless of what I may have said in the past. Mind you the 2nd motor had 11,000 miles on it when swapped out. Maybe I should've just sold it & bought a '15 instead that winter? Mind you I had no seat time in the newer sleds, so I had no way of knowing if I'd like the new sled's ride etc (been there before). My '98 S chassis was a disappointment from my '95 F chassis, even though I went from a 440 to 500. After 3 seasons I bought a MXZ 600 (ZX chassis) & I was quite happy w/ the ride & handling.

The dealer had a 600ETEC in the showroom that would've been cheaper, but I wasn't interested.

Etec 600's have been very reliable. For your area 900 is a good choice. Low end torque is great for twisty trails and lower speed lake riding. That 900 can handle slush with ease. Just wish it had a bit more top end, it falls flat fast after 115 km/hr or so. Fuel economy still doesn't match etec on our's yet. Had ignition coils and voltage regulator fail at around 1000 km's on 900. Hopefully that isn't a common problem. 

1cf7764b33bca1f209b454b357357831.jpg

Where is that posted?   They will be getting a big slap from BRP over breaking the embargo.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, hancop said:

If the 850 etec has been designed to deliver 12,000 trouble free km's as been suggested this has already been proven to be false many time. Lots of threads here and on dootalk about many issues with the 850 etec.

I've got over 11,000 trouble free on my 2013 800, you have to remember how many more sleds ski doo sells compared to everyone else, I think the number when they come out in 2017 was between 40 - 60 sleds and only a few of those were engine problems, some belt.

29 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Where is that posted?   They will be getting a big slap from BRP over breaking the embargo.

got an email from snowgoer late this morning

I got the email as well.  Interestingly, the link does not work?!

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

36 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

I get a 404 message when I click on the link in my email

Looks like thats the engine from the Maverick X3 which isnt much of a leap to see happen. I still think its a major gaff not to outgun Yami and go big with it. Left market share there and a BIG door open for bragging rights which will lead to market shift.

Probably be a great sled to ride though. Any idea how much boost and RPM that 150 number comes in at?

52 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I get a 404 message when I click on the link in my email

I get the same message when I try to open it

41 minutes ago, crispy said:

Looks like thats the engine from the Maverick X3 which isnt much of a leap to see happen. I still think its a major gaff not to outgun Yami and go big with it. Left market share there and a BIG door open for bragging rights which will lead to market shift.

Probably be a great sled to ride though. Any idea how much boost and RPM that 150 number comes in at?

I agree, seems a little silly to have a new turbo sled that is less than the Yamaha.

never was a fan of the Gen 4 look but this one looks good IMO

image.png.17ffaefb9cdea077db1bb4038fdc14bb.png

what's wrong with 150hp?

2 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

There will be a marketing or web guy at SnowGoer looking for a job tomorrow.   :(  

The OEMs take these embargos very seriously.   

Archived