Month old Yamaha bent tunnel!?

IndyIan

Bought a Sidewinder XTX exactly a month ago, have done 3 good weekends of riding and put on roughly 800 miles. Had my first service done friday, went for a ride saturday, came home to my tunnel buckling in the centre and the rear of the rail pulling out.

I have not rode this nearly as hard as any of my previous sleds as I was still in break in and I was hesitant to break anything being a $20k sled...

Dealer tried to put it through warranty as they are just as miffed about this as I am. No sign of damage anywhere and I only ride groomed trails. Needless to say they denied it, now I am dealing with Yamaha Customer Care... I was brand loyal to Polaris for 10 years, fell in love with the turbo and jumped ship... wishing I never stepped foot on this sled. Now I am waiting for parts from the states and will miss out on the best part of the season. It will be fixed regardless, and sold. I will cut my losses and get out of this disaster as quickly as I got into it. Sad to think my $9k 2014 Indy tin foil tunnel held up to 12k miles of my abuse and a few "mishaps", the $20k winder lasted 800 miles.

Oh and i look over on the yamaha forum, another guy had the same issue as me last week also a month old...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks big time.

That sucks big time. Doesn't say much about Yamaha, or Arctic Cat, for that matter. Hope they come through for you - that's a huge  and expensive problem for a brand spanking new sled. 

btw, I have a '16 Indy 800 SP and I can't say enough about it. It is my first Polaris since a 1990 Indy 650. Been riding only Cats up until now. Good luck !

39 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

This doesn't hold well for Yamaha. I understand they are not making sleds anymore from next year. :wtf:

Hope you get your problem fixed.

Yamaha are not making sleds anymore?????

I am very unhappy with how quick they were to deny the possibility of a defect. Did something bind in my skid? Did a shock seize? Was there an underlying issue before I bought it?

They are desperately trying to get the weight down on the big hp turbo 4 strokes. They are reducing structural strength trying to shave off pounds. You just can't make an elephant dance ballet.

6 hours ago, IndyIan said:

Bought a Sidewinder XTX exactly a month ago, have done 3 good weekends of riding and put on roughly 800 miles. Had my first service done friday, went for a ride saturday, came home to my tunnel buckling in the centre and the rear of the rail pulling out.

I have not rode this nearly as hard as any of my previous sleds as I was still in break in and I was hesitant to break anything being a $20k sled...

Dealer tried to put it through warranty as they are just as miffed about this as I am. No sign of damage anywhere and I only ride groomed trails. Needless to say they denied it, now I am dealing with Yamaha Customer Care... I was brand loyal to Polaris for 10 years, fell in love with the turbo and jumped ship... wishing I never stepped foot on this sled. Now I am waiting for parts from the states and will miss out on the best part of the season. It will be fixed regardless, and sold. I will cut my losses and get out of this disaster as quickly as I got into it. Sad to think my $9k 2014 Indy tin foil tunnel held up to 12k miles of my abuse and a few "mishaps", the $20k winder lasted 800 miles.

Oh and i look over on the yamaha forum, another guy had the same issue as me last week also a month old...

I have beaten my 17 sidewinder xtx for about 7500km and have had no problem.  I think they all are prone to their own share of problems regardless of brand.  I did put a rack on the back of mine that also helped with tunnel stifining.

Yamaha use to be number one in customer care. I have a Yamaha atv very happy with it. I would take pics and write Yamaha Canada headquarters about the problem and tell them you will follow up with a phone call too. They should give you a brand new sled. 

47 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Yamaha use to be number one in customer care. I have a Yamaha atv very happy with it. I would take pics and write Yamaha Canada headquarters about the problem and tell them you will follow up with a phone call too. They should give you a brand new sled. 

When was this, 1972. Yamaha warranty on their sleds has been terrible for many years. They blame the customer for every single failure any of their sleds has. The only way they will own this issue is if they are forced to by a court. Cat might have helped, but even that is a long shot. The very nature of the usage of a sled will give them an easy out.

12 minutes ago, zoso said:

When was this, 1972. Yamaha warranty on their sleds has been terrible for many years. They blame the customer for every single failure any of their sleds has. The only way they will own this issue is if they are forced to by a court. Cat might have helped, but even that is a long shot. The very nature of the usage of a sled will give them an easy out.

80's they were number 1 before Polaris took over the spot.  usually they have good customer service. 

very surprising to say the least,

isnt the sidewinder chassis actually a Arctic Cat chassis  ?

best of luck

cheers

8 hours ago, Wildbill said:

find Jeff Mcgirr on facebook he is a good guy and works for yamaha 

He is actually a buddy of mome, hence how I got the sled. Being on the sales end of things he has pulled the strings he can as far as I know. Its up to "customer care" now. 

That was a short season.... 3 weekends on the sled. 

7 minutes ago, IndyIan said:

He is actually a buddy of mome, hence how I got the sled. Being on the sales end of things he has pulled the strings he can as far as I know. Its up to "customer care" now. 

That was a short season.... 3 weekends on the sled. 

very odd I have not seen that on any of them or the cat version could you please post a picture 

As a matter of fact a quick search on the TY forum and there is another person dealing with this same issue, also a month old sidewinder. Will try to add some picture tonight. Already thursday and still havent heard from anyone. Apparently the tunnel is in the states.

1 hour ago, IndyIan said:

As a matter of fact a quick search on the TY forum and there is another person dealing with this same issue, also a month old sidewinder. Will try to add some picture tonight. Already thursday and still havent heard from anyone. Apparently the tunnel is in the states.

I'm old and slow so bear with me please. Are you saying that they said NO on the first shot for warranty on the tunnel but requested and I assume paid for your tunnel to be sent to the US?

If my assumption above is correct, that in itself is a partial admittance of defect. If they were holding to the "abuse" defense there would be absolutely no reason for them to request the tunnel other than looking at the reliability factor IMHO. 

For what it's worth Indylan, I was involved with customer warranty issues for over 40 years. If they are at all considering giving you warranty on the tunnel, I would hold off posting any pictures at this point in the process JMHO. Every product has some failures. Give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

27 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm old and slow so bear with me please. Are you saying that they said NO on the first shot for warranty on the tunnel but requested and I assume paid for your tunnel to be sent to the US?

If my assumption above is correct, that in itself is a partial admittance of defect. If they were holding to the "abuse" defense there would be absolutely no reason for them to request the tunnel other than looking at the reliability factor IMHO. 

For what it's worth Indylan, I was involved with customer warranty issues for over 40 years. If they are at all considering giving you warranty on the tunnel, I would hold off posting any pictures at this point in the process. Every product has some failures. Give  them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Sorry I should have specified the replacement tunnel that I will have to pay for is in the states. As far as the dealer has told me it was denied on the submission of photos... now that I have opened a case with yamaha they are contacting the district service manager, and waiting for his written statement. My interpretation of this now is that it will set me back even further as they wont touch the sled until he can come see it in person.

At the moment I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt, before I make my final statement on my experience with Yamaha and post it everywhere. 

This post was to make people aware of my issue and take anyones input or advice on the situation.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, Kahshe Rider said:

Yamaha are not making sleds anymore?????

Cat has been making all their new model sleds for a few years...

Not all. 

Archived