Hand Sigbals and Ride Lite

signfan

Recently guy back from Quebec.  They use the approved last sled in line signal while in Ontario I see everyone using the slowing signal to indicate last sled in line.  I'm wondering how we got this messed up in Ontario.  Everyone here signals improperly.  Also curious is anyone using the ride lite system?  If so how do you like it?  Easy install?  Any issues with it?

7 minutes ago, signfan said:

Recently guy back from Quebec.  They use the approved last sled in line signal while in Ontario I see everyone using the slowing signal to indicate last sled in line.  I'm wondering how we got this messed up in Ontario.  Everyone here signals improperly.  Also curious is anyone using the ride lite system?  If so how do you like it?  Easy install?  Any issues with it?

The waving hi last in line hand signal is the best though!

You get no hand signals from me. You should assume there is an oncoming sled over every hill and around every corner. I cannot count the number of times some rider has nearly hit me while waving his arm about trying to signal. Then there are those on a  railbed  that all signal how many are behind them, when they are all in sight. Keep your hands the bars. when you should signal is when turning off the trail to the left.

57 minutes ago, signfan said:

Recently guy back from Quebec.  They use the approved last sled in line signal while in Ontario I see everyone using the slowing signal to indicate last sled in line.  I'm wondering how we got this messed up in Ontario.  Everyone here signals improperly.  

You mean that they use the signal that one can always see and understand, even at dusk? Maybe that's why it is so commonly used.

Im getting to hate hand signals, worry about controlling your sled first, as was said most times you can see the other sleds coming behind, last guy should signal and thats it!

I have used the ride lights for years, but I also use hand signals because not everyone understands the ride light system.  In the past, I had built my own systems, but at the Novi show, Rocz ToyZ was demonstrating his prototype.  We, (son, daughter and I),  each bought one and they arrived Tuesday.  They connect with a weatherproof RCA plug and mount with velcro.  Here is the link.

They work great and even stayed put through the Sudbury  trails

11 hours ago, zoso said:

You get no hand signals from me. You should assume there is an oncoming sled over every hill and around every corner. I cannot count the number of times some rider has nearly hit me while waving his arm about trying to signal. Then there are those on a  railbed  that all signal how many are behind them, when they are all in sight. Keep your hands the bars. when you should signal is when turning off the trail to the left.

That is just ignorant. I know that when someone signals there are riders behind them, I will make an effort to stay back from a blind corner, just so that I do not put myself somewhere that could result in a collision. If a rider in your group apexes a corner, I want to know he is coming.

12 hours ago, signfan said:

I find a slight majority are courteous in Ontario and will signal.  My opinion is that if you are driving to the point where you are unable to take a hand off the bar to signal, then you are driving too aggressively.

Lots of things with regard to snowmobiling in Ontario are getting more and more messed up, in large part to the idiot generation others have bestowed on us.  In the last 4 days we've snowmobiled 1,000 km's, and some of the crap we witnessed (in particular yesterday in the Pembroke-Beachburg-Calabogie areas) indicate that this sport won't be around in 10 years...just unbelievable. 

I signal 95% of the time .... the 5% that I don't is either because the guy oncoming is a local standup prick with a can, the oncoming guys don't make an effort to signal to me, or 'cause I'm busy staying on my side. 

Bumps in corners, off-camber turns due to banks being pushed from everyone running the inside line regardless of their direction of travel, darting, are all particular reasons to not be able to take a hand off the bars.  This, due to a comment above about riding too agressively.  Be careful what you write, not everyone is an idiot.  :poke2:

3 hours ago, Zertrider said:

That is just ignorant. I know that when someone signals there are riders behind them, I will make an effort to stay back from a blind corner, just so that I do not put myself somewhere that could result in a collision. If a rider in your group apexes a corner, I want to know he is coming.

I ride making the assumption that every single corner will have a sled with a rider cutting the corner. Riding with this mindset has allowed me to log over 150,000kms sledding on trails and never be involved in an accident. So if 50 years of riding experience, more miles logged than most will ever have in a lifetime, makes me ignorant, so be it. What you are saying is that if a guy signals he is last sled, you assume there are none following, that assumption may well get you hurt or killed.

16 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Sledding in downtown LA would be confusing 

4E00BD71-D8E2-4B10-A91A-8F6F8C65F7B6.jpeg

I'm going to start throwing these up.     Maybe confuse some of these guys that feel the need to point our their buddy 10 feet behind him on a 2 km straightaway.  The last sled in line is ridiculous on some trails as most indicate their slowing down?  Seen so many last sled inline signals yet sled right behind them.   In a blind corner keep your hands on the bars.

When I'm alone I always signal last guy, using the wrong slow signal that everyone uses. If I'm first in pack I will signal more coming if on a tighter trail. Middle of pack signal is stupid. 

4 hours ago, zoso said:

I ride making the assumption that every single corner will have a sled with a rider cutting the corner. Riding with this mindset has allowed me to log over 150,000kms sledding on trails and never be involved in an accident. So if 50 years of riding experience, more miles logged than most will ever have in a lifetime, makes me ignorant, so be it. What you are saying is that if a guy signals he is last sled, you assume there are none following, that assumption may well get you hurt or killed.

X2, but I only got 48 yrs. What do I know.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:21 PM, Yukon Cornelious said:

The waving hi last in line hand signal is the best though!

Always makes me laugh when there is another group behind them that they do not even know about. I believe in mirrors for sure 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, Spanky said:

I find a slight majority are courteous in Ontario and will signal.  My opinion is that if you are driving to the point where you are unable to take a hand off the bar to signal, then you are driving too aggressively.

Lots of things with regard to snowmobiling in Ontario are getting more and more messed up, in large part to the idiot generation others have bestowed on us.  In the last 4 days we've snowmobiled 1,000 km's, and some of the crap we witnessed (in particular yesterday in the Pembroke-Beachburg-Calabogie areas) indicate that this sport won't be around in 10 years...just unbelievable. 

Agree 110%

Only time I will signal is if I just came out of a corner and there is someone coming towards me.  I got a good laugh up in Cochrane in piston alley.  Guy signals there is someone behind him even though I could see them coming for the last 5 minutes.  The amount of sleds that I've come across that can't keep control of their sleds while trying to signal is scary.  

13 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Only time I will signal is if I just came out of a corner and there is someone coming towards me.  I got a good laugh up in Cochrane in piston alley.  Guy signals there is someone behind him even though I could see them coming for the last 5 minutes.  The amount of sleds that I've come across that can't keep control of their sleds while trying to signal is scary.  

Even when you think it's safe to take your hand off the handlebar, are you sure. Riding on what you think is a nice fairly smooth trail and then one ski suddenly hits a rock that is barely covered with snow and the ski reacts suddenly while you've got your hand up to tell people there are more sleds directly behind you that you can clearly see.

How about riding with the anticipation that there are perhaps more sleds coming even if there aren't. It's a simple principle. Stay in control and stay on YOUR side of the trail and be vigilant for oncoming traffic. Really when you think of it do you do anything differently knowing there's another sled coming than you would simply being prepared for that first sled in the line that you didn't have any warning about. Just like the boy scouts. Be prepared.

Or are you someone who if they don't see another sled coming rides down the middle of the trail, blows around blind turns and jumps the crest of the hill HOPING there isn't another sled coming at you.

51 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Agree 110%

Consider this. I have on multiple occasions been riding slowly under 25kmh, had my ski catch an obstacle under the snow and pull the bars hard. When this happens, if you only had on hand on the bar you would lose control, maybe even come off the sled. taking your hands off the bars to tell me you are the last in line, when in fact you are not the last coming towards me, but simply the last sled in the group you are with, is far more dangerous to both of us than if you simply focus on passing me in control and in a safe manner. I have ridden enough to know that things happen fast out there, and they can happen at any time in any conditions on any trail. Do us all a favor and save your hand signals for baseball. The last thing we should be doing is promoting new riders to use these idiotic hand signals. Not to mention some do not think, and because they were signaled last sled just before a curve, they assume no traffic is coming. Now if they assume traffic is coming, as they should, what use was the signal, if they assume no traffic then the signal put them and oncoming traffic in danger if they ride differently when they think no traffic is headed their way..

Archived