Christmas in February

revrnd

I forgot to ask, does anyone have pics of the glovebox extension? I got the 12V outlet installed. On the GPS front, I use GPSMAP64

5a7f81de592cb_GaraminGPSMAP64-Copy.jpg.963e39cff7b7c7ed9be914cfb2732f0e.jpg

So I've used a cradle style mount on the bars.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, revrnd said:

That's quite a shopping list LOL

I got the tunnel bag, mirrors & muffs. Not sure about mounting the mirrors. If got handguards installed w/ mirrors. Folks w/ the XS chassis, how difficult is it to swap windshields? I'm thinking of keeping the stock 1 mirrorless for riding down south. For trips north, remove the handguards, add the muffs & add the next taller w/s (as per irreverent) w/ the mirrors.

Some pics from today in Stoney Lake-land

5a7f7583e5766_2018DebutRide01-Copy.thumb.JPG.32c9e341bd25191ef98554eaa8c6bb25.JPG

5a7f75982074f_2018DebutRide02-Copy.thumb.JPG.582ad7c4dd6adf6fc9e6d281fc33acce.JPG5a7f75ab04d01_2018DebutRide03-Copy.thumb.JPG.f3e77a239de6dcc283cc2564bd15611d.JPG5a7f75bcbcea6_2018DebutRide05-Copy.thumb.JPG.bdd163981000acc939d64fbaf2de8aef.JPG

A mixed bag of riders out there & we've got 2" of fresh snow thru the day.

If you got the BRP muffs they will fit over factory BRP hand guards.  So you don't have to remove them.  Only rule with them is you can't use the flip throttle in finger mode with the muffs on.  To be honest it's a gimmick anyways.  I've played with it and prefer the thumb throttle.  The drive by wire throttle is great though.  No more sore thumbs.  Windshield swap is simple.  It's tool less. Just pull up gently and the windshield pops off (Mirrors and side windshield panels will come with it).  The other one you put on will just push back in.  It's plastic tabs that fit into rubber grommets that hold it on.  Should you ever breakdown (not likely with a 900 ace) and need to dig a snow hut for shelter you can pull the windshield and use it as a shovel.

14 minutes ago, signfan said:

The drive by wire throttle is great though.  No more sore thumbs.  

I noticed that when I was switching 'rides' today. I was told on DooTalk that I'd have to adjust to it. I think the new position just comes automatically.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not sure about mounting the mirrors. If got handguards installed w/ mirrors. Folks w/ the XS chassis, how difficult is it to swap windshields? I'm thinking of keeping the stock 1 mirrorless for riding down south. For trips north, remove the handguards, add the muffs & add the next taller w/s (as per irreverent) w/ the mirrors.

I have the same sled, or close enough, in a 2017 model. Love that little 900 motor. I like your plan, but I don't find the taller BRP windshield a problem even in the warmer weather, and I am short. The windshield change is relatively easy, but with the washer style push clips, it is not as easy as re and reing 5 small screws. I wouldn't be without my BRP mirrors. Not the best photo attached, but does show the w/s and mirrors.

I am a little fussy about handling, and it has turned out that I am not a fan of the ice ripper track or the Pilot TS skis. Skis have been replaced with Pilot 5.7. Will likely add conventional studs. 

Thursday I put 270 km on a tank of fuel and still had 4+ litres of fuel to go. Fuel range and 87 octane gas are just bonuses. My fuel gauge is pessimistic at the "empty" end and optimistic at the "full" end.

Great sled, hope you enjoy it.

DSC00411.jpg

3 hours ago, signfan said:

If you got the BRP muffs they will fit over factory BRP hand guards.  So you don't have to remove them.  Only rule with them is you can't use the flip throttle in finger mode with the muffs on.  To be honest it's a gimmick anyways.  I've played with it and prefer the thumb throttle.  The drive by wire throttle is great though.  No more sore thumbs.  Windshield swap is simple.  It's tool less. Just pull up gently and the windshield pops off (Mirrors and side windshield panels will come with it).  The other one you put on will just push back in.  It's plastic tabs that fit into rubber grommets that hold it on.  Should you ever breakdown (not likely with a 900 ace) and need to dig a snow hut for shelter you can pull the windshield and use it as a shovel.

That "gimmick" throttle has allowed me to continue sledding. I can use a thumb throttle for about 20 minutes before the nerve problems in my thumb force me to stop. I leave the throttle in 'finger' position 99% of the time, and now that I am used to it, I don't get accidental accelerations over bumps like I did before. I have better grip on the right hand grip.

I would rather have the throttle in the finger position... seems much more natural  (I rode bikes for years).... and YES it works in the forward position with muffs on.

1 hour ago, tricky said:

I have the same sled, or close enough, in a 2017 model. Love that little 900 motor. I like your plan, but I don't find the taller BRP windshield a problem even in the warmer weather, and I am short. The windshield change is relatively easy, but with the washer style push clips, it is not as easy as re and reing 5 small screws. I wouldn't be without my BRP mirrors. Not the best photo attached, but does show the w/s and mirrors.

I am a little fussy about handling, and it has turned out that I am not a fan of the ice ripper track or the Pilot TS skis. Skis have been replaced with Pilot 5.7. Will likely add conventional studs. 

Thursday I put 270 km on a tank of fuel and still had 4+ litres of fuel to go. Fuel range and 87 octane gas are just bonuses. My fuel gauge is pessimistic at the "empty" end and optimistic at the "full" end.

Great sled, hope you enjoy it.

DSC00411.jpg

Taken @ the GolfnSki?

Irreverent & the Mrs have the higher w/s & mirrors too. Hope to meet up w/ them later on & compare notes. 

I was under the impression from the owners manual that you could only use 87 if it was ethanol free. Otherwise you should use premium.

Played w/ the skis & did notice an improvement w/ the changing conditions. My REV had a shorter lug track that I studded when the sled was new. Not sure what I'll do w/ this sled. Pavement running is req'd to get in & out of the village so the jury is out. The roads dep't/township council here would be in tears if they saw the state of the streets in northern Ontario.

Finished the GPS mount tonight

5a7fc682a5d5f_2018BlizzardGPSMount01-Copy.thumb.JPG.5b1f3fe3e2b46425aad1a929046eb14f.JPG

5a7fc690da837_2018BlizzardGPSMount04-Copy.thumb.JPG.05c5131574b47b7825470774ebebeb5f.JPG

5a7fc69cca53a_2018BlizzardGPSMount05-Copy.thumb.JPG.42fa2940ed23bcb039a5b66b087fc66d.JPG

1 hour ago, tricky said:

That "gimmick" throttle has allowed me to continue sledding. I can use a thumb throttle for about 20 minutes before the nerve problems in my thumb force me to stop. I leave the throttle in 'finger' position 99% of the time, and now that I am used to it, I don't get accidental accelerations over bumps like I did before. I have better grip on the right hand grip.

Guess it's personal preference.  I can see it being a bonus if you have health issues with your thumb.  

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I would rather have the throttle in the finger position... seems much more natural  (I rode bikes for years).... and YES it works in the forward position with muffs on.

Lol,  not according to the disclaimer from BRP on the muffs.  It's clearly stated on their muffs not to use the finger throttle.  Thought is when you pull your hand out of the muff the muff will pull back caught on your glove and engage the throttle accidentally.  I agree you can do it.  But BRP is saying not to and I see there point.

56 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Taken @ the GolfnSki?

Irreverent & the Mrs have the higher w/s & mirrors too. Hope to meet up w/ them later on & compare notes. 

I was under the impression from the owners manual that you could only use 87 if it was ethanol free. Otherwise you should use premium.

Played w/ the skis & did notice an improvement w/ the changing conditions. My REV had a shorter lug track that I studded when the sled was new. Not sure what I'll do w/ this sled. Pavement running is req'd to get in & out of the village so the jury is out. The roads dep't/township council here would be in tears if they saw the state of the streets in northern Ontario.

Yes, Mattawa Golf and Ski, one and a half weeks ago on Wednesday. My daughter and I were the only guests. A week later at mid week, our group got the only cabin available - 100% full and good on them. They deserve the good weather for all they do for sledders. Great conditions both weeks, but the Mattawa groomer was temporarily down when we were there this past Wednesday.

The fuel issue is made clear as mud by BRP. The manual says as you describe in one place, but where would one ever find ethanol free 87. Even if you buy 91 octane, most of it contains ethanol. So the fuel cap on my sled says use 87. My dealer says use 87. I believe Denis said use 87. The compression ratio invites 87 use. So 87 is what it gets, without complaint. I am at just over 7K km.

Nice job on the GPS mount, BTW.

+1 on the finger throttle.

My 900 ACE is my first sled and a big bonus with the ACE for me is the ability to rotate the throttle.  A thumb throttle is completely foreign to me, I want to 'hold' the bar and also I broke my thumb skiing years ago so I'm fairly sure using my thumb for throttle control would be painful after a short time although I must admit I have not even tried it.  I keep my index and second finger on the throttle with the lever facing downwards about 35 degrees which is perfect for me sitting, standing & kneeling. 

I've been very impressed with the 900ACE.  I'm not a fan of two-stroke noise and smell so for me the ACE is perfect.  Super smooth, quiet, fuel efficient and has a proven track record for outstanding reliability.  I was initially looking to buy a 600ACE Renegade Sport but there weren't many around so I ended up choosing a 2018 Renegade Adrenaline 900ACE which I have absolutely zero regrets purchasing.  

I put a set of used carbides on the outside of the Pilot 5.7 and that worked a treat and only took a few minutes to install.  Next year I plan on swapping out the track for a Camso Storm 150 (there is a pre-studded version coming out next year), possibly changing the skis for C&A XPT.  The following winter I want to swap out the HPG shocks for Fox.  That should make an great sled excellent.

Enjoy revrnd

Tricky, use 87 with confidence, and get your fuel at reputable stations with decent traffic, you'll not likely ever have an issue.  If you want better off-season protection, put 91 in with stabilizer for summer storage.  I don't use premium in all my sleds so stabilizer is a must.  Never an issue come fall.

Glove box extension with my Nuvi 265WT on a homemade mount .... 

5a804bbaa6255_20171112_105736(2).thumb.jpg.1ea05565ca9d16fead772cbdff6420af.jpg

11 hours ago, tricky said:

Yes, Mattawa Golf and Ski, one and a half weeks ago on Wednesday. My daughter and I were the only guests. A week later at mid week, our group got the only cabin available - 100% full and good on them. They deserve the good weather for all they do for sledders. Great conditions both weeks, but the Mattawa groomer was temporarily down when we were there this past Wednesday.

The fuel issue is made clear as mud by BRP. The manual says as you describe in one place, but where would one ever find ethanol free 87. Even if you buy 91 octane, most of it contains ethanol. So the fuel cap on my sled says use 87. My dealer says use 87. I believe Denis said use 87. The compression ratio invites 87 use. So 87 is what it gets, without complaint. I am at just over 7K km.

Nice job on the GPS mount, BTW.

We stayed there in '13 on our RAP tour.

Reminds me of my 1st year w/ an SDI, you absolutely, positively had to use 91 in it. Well, what do you do in Aisselle, PQ @ Gaz de Jean-Guy's & all they sell is 87? About 2 seasons later (after the warranties had expired) they started to relent on the 91 fuel. They should've marketed the knock sensor as providing the rider w/ the ability to use different octane-rated fuels.

You're welcome. 

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Tricky, use 87 with confidence, and get your fuel at reputable stations with decent traffic, you'll not likely ever have an issue.  If you want better off-season protection, put 91 in with stabilizer for summer storage.  I don't use premium in all my sleds so stabilizer is a must.  Never an issue come fall.

Glove box extension with my Nuvi 265WT on a homemade mount .... 

Denis, we've always tried to buy branded fuel for the sleds. I know guys have talked over the years about being hesitant to buy 91 in off the beaten path locations. Hard to know how old the fuel is in the tanks. I had a couple of experiences w/ no name gas in the 80s, so I swore off them for my road vehicles.

Then you read stories like this:

http://leslieville.com/leslieville-breaking-story-bad-gas-at-neon-on-queen-street-east-update/

I also remember years ago undercover cops in T.O. catching a couple of bikers that had stole a tanker truck of used industrial solvent & were working a deal to sell it to some sketchy gas station.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

We stayed there in '13 on our RAP tour.

Reminds me of my 1st year w/ an SDI, you absolutely, positively had to use 91 in it. Well, what do you do in Aisselle, PQ @ Gaz de Jean-Guy's & all they sell is 87? About 2 seasons later (after the warranties had expired) they started to relent on the 91 fuel. They should've marketed the knock sensor as providing the rider w/ the ability to use different octane-rated fuels.

You're welcome. 

Denis, we've always tried to buy branded fuel for the sleds. I know guys have talked over the years about being hesitant to buy 91 in off the beaten path locations. Hard to know how old the fuel is in the tanks. I had a couple of experiences w/ no name gas in the 80s, so I swore off them for my road vehicles.

Then you read stories like this:

http://leslieville.com/leslieville-breaking-story-bad-gas-at-neon-on-queen-street-east-update/

I also remember years ago undercover cops in T.O. catching a couple of bikers that had stole a tanker truck of used industrial solvent & were working a deal to sell it to some sketchy gas station.

Image result for shell station flooded

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Image result for shell station flooded

That looks more like Sea-doo weather than Ski-doo season. LOL

22 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Hope you enjoy the new ride, colors are extremely nice.

:right_on:

I was not a fan of Sunburst Yellow.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

:right_on:

I was not a fan of Sunburst Yellow.

Neither am I, but my son won't give me back my 670 so I'm stuck with the Sunburst....

21 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Ya. OK Denis. :cheers:

.... wait for it ......

27 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Neither am I, but my son won't give me back my 670 so I'm stuck with the Sunburst....

No no no.... not true.... wouldn't mind to trade the 670 for your 800R  :D:D

Denis, the 2018 brochure says that the temp' gauge was standard, however looking @ the owners manual says it's optional. Is it possible to have it installed 'after the fact'?

29 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Denis, the 2018 brochure says that the temp' gauge was standard, however looking @ the owners manual says it's optional. Is it possible to have it installed 'after the fact'?

You have the premium gauge.... it's included. Your engine temperature shows on the left side bar graph. Supposed to anyways. 

Go outside  (if you're not sitting on the sled right now) and take a photo of the cluster.... idling please....

7 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

You have the premium gauge.... it's included. Your engine temperature shows on the left side bar graph. Supposed to anyways. 

Go outside  (if you're not sitting on the sled right now) and take a photo of the cluster.... idling please....

I'm in for the night. I'll check it tomorrow.

Archived