IDIOTS ON TRAIL

thetorches

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, thetorches said:

It was brutal for about 5km's leaving the tunnel and the same on the way back. After the 5km's it wasn't to bad. A few slippery corners though.

Thanks again for the info, Torches. For those out today, hopefully that section and others was groomed last night. 

9 hours ago, blackjack1 said:

hi Irv,where did you get your red ski loops for your curves. thanks.

I got them right from them, Blackjack. I've had them on there since 2010-2011 but I assume by your question, they no longer carry/make red ski loops? As you likely know, they are unique ones and will only work on their skis, no one else's and vice versa. 

I believe it was on TY4stroke where I read all about them and conversed with the owners before I ended up purchasing them.    

https://www.curveindustries.com/

Edit: Decided to check out the site/link and seen they only have black loops now. Back when I got mine, I think there were 4-5 different colors? 

HPIM1201 (Large).JPG

HPIM1218.JPG

HPIM1220 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1222.JPG

17 hours ago, thetorches said:

I can see close calls on 10 ft. wide trails, but come on, there was room for at least 6 sleds side by side. 

Have to be careful around Dorset, 70 degree corners are dangerous. I have been hit before and I was on my side of corner, by people riding too fast, then sliding thru corner like they are only one on trail. 

Here is a couple pics from D trail below south river ,was getting busy at noon we went got back from our early morn ride 

66686C6B-FFF6-468D-B5D0-A9FA325D8499.jpeg

21CD6802-0E69-412A-BFE5-FE2C4A3FCE0C.jpeg

C763A0EB-F5AA-4A3F-AAB9-2C3F4D6F5F54.jpeg

More bad news ,sled on fire near Bracebridge 

935ACDE8-F72B-4853-82CB-A4891677ACCE.jpeg

45E81BB4-D7CA-4B31-A5FB-3A104F3736C8.jpeg

39 minutes ago, zoso said:

They sure do burn good. yamaha vector...

The local club having a bonfire?

1 hour ago, zoso said:

They sure do burn good. yamaha vector...

Looks to be an older one, pre 2008 anyways. Wonder what the story is? Can't say I've heard of many of these catching fire before. 

As a newbie to this sport I've been a little bit surprised at some peoples complete disregard for oncoming traffic especially in totally blind corners and crests.  A few times this week I've had to put my sled completely or partially off the trail to avoid someone cutting the apex on a blind corner and about to crash into me.  If you have a clear sight line around a corner than yeah, go for the apex but man some people just seem to roll the dice around corners.  I like to stand up to get a better view and also to hopefully be seen sooner if there is someone approaching and always keep right and slow down when I can't see what's coming up.  I've been thinking about getting a sticker for my windshield: KEEP RIGHT!  I will be buying a Tekvest shortly for obvious reasons.  I should note that I've had just as many close calls with 'fast/aggressive' riders as I've had with the 'family outing 2up wanderers/going to cut every single corner on my old sled' riders.

On a similar topic, the whole hand signals thing can be a bit much sometimes.  Yes, I see your entire group on this perfectly straight section but definitely everyone take one hand of the handlebars, proceed to do an uncontrolled wander, all to inform me that there is someone two feet behind you.  Great.  For sure it's good to know that there is going to be an approaching rider behind someone but really only the first and last rider need to do anything.  The Green & Yellow light indicator needs to be more prevalent and I plan on getting one sometime soon. Green = alone or last of group.  Yellow = riders behind.  Easy and this should be standard on all sleds IMHO.

Rant over lol 

I'm a newbie to the trail system as well and echo your sentiments.  Even pulling far right these guys run right up the middle of a 6 foot wide trail.   The blind corners like you said can be a watch out as I find if lead sled is cutting and moving the rest that's following will be doing the same.   I can understand the hand signals on narrow forest trails but the rail beds are another story.  Seeing people constantly almost hitting me  cause their sled is jerking everywhere because they feel the need to signal the 3 guys 10 feet behind is just asinine.   My sleds darts around abit in grooves and powder as it's older and the Pro action isn't the newest of suspension tech so my arms stay on the bars.

Still won't keep me from riding though I love it.  Have not rode a sled since my teen years an just exploring is excitement for me.  Just need to be constantly aware of my surroundings and what could be coming. 

The red light / green light idea is ok, but I like to keep it simple. Keep your hands on the bars and ride as if there is an oncoming sled around every turn. 

1 hour ago, Brodieman said:

As a newbie to this sport I've been a little bit surprised at some peoples complete disregard for oncoming traffic especially in totally blind corners and crests.  A few times this week I've had to put my sled completely or partially off the trail to avoid someone cutting the apex on a blind corner and about to crash into me.  If you have a clear sight line around a corner than yeah, go for the apex but man some people just seem to roll the dice around corners.  I like to stand up to get a better view and also to hopefully be seen sooner if there is someone approaching and always keep right and slow down when I can't see what's coming up.  I've been thinking about getting a sticker for my windshield: KEEP RIGHT!  I will be buying a Tekvest shortly for obvious reasons.  I should note that I've had just as many close calls with 'fast/aggressive' riders as I've had with the 'family outing 2up wanderers/going to cut every single corner on my old sled' riders.

On a similar topic, the whole hand signals thing can be a bit much sometimes.  Yes, I see your entire group on this perfectly straight section but definitely everyone take one hand of the handlebars, proceed to do an uncontrolled wander, all to inform me that there is someone two feet behind you.  Great.  For sure it's good to know that there is going to be an approaching rider behind someone but really only the first and last rider need to do anything.  The Green & Red light indicater needs to be more prevalent and I plan on getting one sometime soon. Green = alone or last of group.  Red = riders behind.  Easy and this should be standard on all sleds IMHO.

Rant over lol 

The lights might be a good idea until someone forgets to flip the indicator and BLAM. I don't know if in over 50 years snowmobiling i have ever heard of an accident caused by oncoming sleds signalling riders coming. If your sled is set up well, one hand off the handlebar for as long as it takes to signal isn't an issue. Experience may enter into it as well.  

You may think that it's unnecessary for all the sleds to signal but sometime when the dust is really flying on a railbed you may be glad to know how many sleds there are in that dust.

1 hour ago, SRXChris said:

I'm a newbie to the trail system as well and echo your sentiments.  Even pulling far right these guys run right up the middle of a 6 foot wide trail.   The blind corners like you said can be a watch out as I find if lead sled is cutting and moving the rest that's following will be doing the same.   I can understand the hand signals on narrow forest trails but the rail beds are another story.  Seeing people constantly almost hitting me  cause their sled is jerking everywhere because they feel the need to signal the 3 guys 10 feet behind is just asinine.   My sleds darts around abit in grooves and powder as it's older and the Pro action isn't the newest of suspension tech so my arms stay on the bars.

Still won't keep me from riding though I love it.  Have not rode a sled since my teen years an just exploring is excitement for me.  Just need to be constantly aware of my surroundings and what could be coming. 

If your sled is darting find out on Totally Yamaha what it will take to fix/improve the issue. ?It could be as simple as replacing the carbides with a set of Duelers. You will be so much more at ease when the sled isn't darting.

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Looks to be an older one, pre 2008 anyways. Wonder what the story is? Can't say I've heard of many of these catching fire before. 

A big crowd like that standing around watching a sled go up in flames. I think there have been a few of these over the years.

We got about ten inches of snow here today. I went for a short 80km ride this evening. The trails were all one track, every single corned was cut to the inside, not one rider keeping right while going around a left turn.  Pretty sure the riders in this area are lemmings in helmets.

10 minutes ago, zoso said:

We got about ten inches of snow here today. I went for a short 80km ride this evening. The trails were all one track, every single corned was cut to the inside, not one rider keeping right while going around a left turn.  Pretty sure the riders in this area are lemmings in helmets.

Only one other sled track?!?! You lucky bugger. 

14 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Only one other sled track?!?! You lucky bugger. 

Ya, five hundred sles all following it, every single corner all snow taken out of the one inside track. strange. it was the same when the trails were first being broken here, they all ride in the one track. they should change the club name to the Lemmings.

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

Ya, five hundred sles all following it, every single corner all snow taken out of the one inside track. strange. it was the same when the trails were first being broken here, they all ride in the one track. they should change the club name to the Lemmings.

Seen that before. The outside of the corner is untouched @ 3 PM on a Sat'.

I'm glad I didn't see that pic of the burning 1 ton earlier today. We played leap frog w/ a group of 3 sleds (including an RX1). They got by us for the last time near Nephton. No smouldering pile of alum' between there & Apsley.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The lights might be a good idea until someone forgets to flip the indicator and BLAM. I don't know if in over 50 years snowmobiling i have ever heard of an accident caused by oncoming sleds signalling riders coming. If your sled is set up well, one hand off the handlebar for as long as it takes to signal isn't an issue. Experience may enter into it as well.  

You may think that it's unnecessary for all the sleds to signal but sometime when the dust is really flying on a railbed you may be glad to know how many sleds there are in that dust.

When you see one sled, good chance there is more to come, when snow dust is gone no more sleds coming, simple, i run with my high beam just like when on my bike

My biggest pet peeve are the aggressive group riders. They will come up out of no where and try passing you on a blind corner, before you can get a chance to safely pull over and wave them by. Sometimes I don't even know they are there, until I hear the can on the sled as they go by me. Next thing they will stop 5 or so miles up the trail, in a bad spot with sleds taking up most of the one side of trail,  while they walk on the remaining  portion of the trail to have a smoke and not pay any attention to approaching sleds. Then 15 minutes later the whole process repeats. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

My biggest pet peeve are the aggressive group riders. They will come up out of no where and try passing you on a blind corner, before you can get a chance to safely pull over and wave them by. Sometimes I don't even know they are there, until I hear the can on the sled as they go by me. Next thing they will stop 5 or so miles up the trail, in a bad spot with sleds taking up most of the one side of trail,  while they walk on the remaining  portion of the trail to have a smoke and not pay any attention to approaching sleds. Then 15 minutes later the whole process repeats. 

They most likely drive on the road in their car or truck in the same way. Today it was funny. On the 401 taking my kid to work, pass a truck, guy in BMW tailgaiting, snow and ice covered road, before I could move back to the right the guy passes me on the right then cuts me off. Five minutes down the road, the douche is in the ditch. I honked and waved as I drove on by.

Archived