IDIOTS ON TRAIL

thetorches

Was coming back from Bewdley today. Was going thru field with about 30 ft between stakes. Could have had 6 sleds side by side. Anyway, i'm going over a hill about 2 ft. from trail marker. All of a sudden there is an idiot coming right at me. Had to turn hard right to avoid him. His buddy was following him in the same lane. Waved a fist at the second guy to let him know I wasn't too happy with there driving. I can't believe people are so stupid.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get used to it. Happens all the time. Be vigilant and stay far right when cresting hills. Don’t try and clothes line anyone as much as you’d like to, you will shatter your arm. 

I can see close calls on 10 ft. wide trails, but come on, there was room for at least 6 sleds side by side. 

Let me guess. There was a slight left bend in the trail for the idiots and they wanted to take the inside edge for the shortest distance.

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Let me guess. There was a slight left bend in the trail for the idiots and they wanted to take the inside edge for the shortest distance.

No. It was a straight stretch and 30 ft. wide. That's what pisses me off the most. There was no need to be that far over. He's an idiot.

Definitely

1 hour ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Get used to it. Happens all the time. Be vigilant and stay far right when cresting hills. Don’t try and clothes line anyone as much as you’d like to, you will shatter your arm. 

Speaking from experience?

I imagine w/ this fresh snow, it'll be a zoo from Port thru the Ganny to Bewdley this weekend.

6 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I imagine w/ this fresh snow, it'll be a zoo from Port thru the Ganny to Bewdley this weekend.

I'm sure it will be a zoo. There were at least 30 sleds at Rhino's in Bewdley today.

23 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I was out yesterday and today with my son and I have never seen so many trucks and trailers like I seen today at the Port Perry C/H. I don't work Fridays but I had no idea so many others didn't either! 

Torches, what was the Ganny like? It was beat to h*ll yesterday entering via the tunnel and past there and it was the same today. I was disappointed as this was my son's first ride of the season but I assume a groomer was down or they don't have an operator? Usually excellent so I can't complain, but I was hoping to make it to the big tree or possibly even Bewdley myself.

I turned around about a mile or 2 in and returned on excellent Port trails. We went north from there but the snow was getting pretty thin. 

Edit: Just read your other post, Torches. Glad I turned around when I did. 

WP_20180208_10_40_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180208_10_40_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_09_15_20_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180209_09_15_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_10_36_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180209_10_36_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_10_34_59_Pro.jpg

I live on a relatively busy County road. The trail crosses my field and lawn at the road. We have just enough snow to finally open the trail but very little hard base if any at all in places.

About 25 minutes ago I had to go out and explain to a young man on an old MXZ that starting back in my neighbours hay field , hammering the  throttle and jumping the highway, landing on my lawn with the track spinning  and his 5 buddies watching was not acceptable. I guess I'm going to have to hand in my patrol jacket  because when he said he wasn't landing on my grass the trail ambassador thing went out the window.

In retrospect I should have taken my camera got pics of his permit / registration# / and helmet and walked back towards the house. It may or may not have had more effect.

BTW these trails were opened 24 hours ago. And so it begins.

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I live on a relatively busy County road. The trail crosses my field and lawn at the road. We have just enough snow to finally open the trail but very little hard base if any at all in places.

About 25 minutes ago I had to go out and explain to a young man on an old MXZ that starting back in my neighbours hay field , hammering the  throttle and jumping the highway, landing on my lawn with the track spinning  and his 5 buddies watching was not acceptable. I guess I'm going to have to hand in my patrol jacket  because when he said he wasn't landing on my grass the trail ambassador thing went out the window.

In retrospect I should have taken my camera got pics of his permit / registration# / and helmet and walked back towards the house. It may or may not have had more effect.

Aren't beater MXZs the best?

Carhartt Racing apparel too?

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Jumping a road on an old MXZ, that is impressive, you should have given him a beer.

It's unbelievable how fast some off these people drive on the old rail tracks around here.  Don't even slow down as I approach and most keep high beams on.  After another close call tonight where a train of 6 sleds heading in opposite direction blew past me by mere inches when trail is wide enough for three sleds to fit side by side, I resorted to just pulling way right and giving these people all the room they want.  

22 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

It's unbelievable how fast some off these people drive on the old rail tracks around here.  Don't even slow down as I approach and most keep high beams on.  After another close call tonight where a train of 6 sleds heading in opposite direction blew past me by mere inches when trail is wide enough for three sleds to fit side by side, I resorted to just pulling way right and giving these people all the room they want.  

I've seen that on the railbed south of Bancroft. We'd be stopped on the side of the trail working on a sled & passing traffic doesn't even bother to slow down.

59 minutes ago, Irv said:

I was out yesterday and today with my son and I have never seen so many trucks and trailers like I seen today at the Port Perry C/H. I don't work Fridays but I had no idea so many others didn't either! 

Torches, what was the Ganny like? It was beat to h*ll yesterday entering via the tunnel and past there and it was the same today. I was disappointed as this was my son's first ride of the season but I assume a groomer was down or they don't have an operator? Usually excellent so I can't complain, but I was hoping to make it to the big tree or possibly even Bewdley myself.

I turned around about a mile or 2 in and returned on excellent Port trails. We went north from there but the snow was getting pretty thin. 

Edit: Just read your other post, Torches. Glad I turned around when I did. 

WP_20180208_10_40_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180208_10_40_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_09_15_20_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180209_09_15_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_10_36_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180209_10_36_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180209_10_34_59_Pro.jpg

It was brutal for about 5km's leaving the tunnel and the same on the way back. After the 5km's it wasn't to bad. A few slippery corners though.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I’ve only experience close calls from oncoming sledders over hill crests. I’ve never attempted any professional wrestling moves while snowmobiling lol. 

And just one more reason to ride from Monday to Friday morning. Friday afternoon to Sunday night is just way too scary.

21 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

And just one more reason to ride from Monday to Friday morning. Friday afternoon to Sunday night is just way too scary.

EARLY Saturday and Sunday mornings are the next best option as soon as the sun rises until noonish. The younger party crowd will still be in bed. 

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

I usually try to stand when approaching hills to hopefully see what may be coming on the wrong side......with MX helmet, shovel & backpack in tow.....

I stand once and awhile to stretch the aching knees and back. 

10 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

EARLY Saturday and Sunday mornings are the next best option as soon as the sun rises until noonish. The younger party crowd will still be in bed. 

I love early Sunday morning rides normally freshly groomed and next to no traffic.

Archived