Cartier Moose Loop

Micar

Wanting to book in Sudbury for March 8-11. Looking at doing the Cartier Moose Loop but the trail from Chateau Guay to the D that used to access this loop is closed per ITG. Is there still "local access" or do you need to head east on C to C/D to 105  to C towards Capreol? This adds about 70 km to the trip. 

Any ideas or work arounds?

TIA.

Mike

Pm me

Currently, the trail from CG and Moonlight has not been groomed for over a week for 20 Km north from the motels and 16 Km South.  The time frame is confirmed from the STP's own Spot Tracking page.  These trails have huge moguls and are brutal to ride?  Hopefully these trails will be in better shape before your planned visit.

7 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Currently, the trail from CG and Moonlight has not been groomed for over a week for 20 Km north from the motels and 16 Km South.  The time frame is confirmed from the STP's own Spot Tracking page.  These trails have huge moguls and are brutal to ride?  Hopefully these trails will be in better shape before your planned visit.

What is going on there. That is a major tourist starting and stopping point? I once went over to Sudbury trails were all bumped out, and lots of sleds and trailers at hotels there. so I decided to go to Elliot lake. Only seen about 20 sleds in 750 km's over three days. Trails were perfect every where I went. Even ran into white dragon and his buddy unloading at Dunlop lake lodge. Small world. I don't think I will ever go back to Sudbury when el is only a few hours down the road. 

10 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Stp never has groomed the trails around Coniston with any frequency, they are ignored constantly. I suspect they never will either.

19 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

ride to garson from where you are........follow the tracks, thousands have..

The section of trail from CG to coniston is done by gr 16, I am also very unhappy with the current condition of the trail.

I know they have been trying to open up the south end trails but it is no excuse not to keep the existing trails groomed.

10 hours ago, zoso said:

ride to garson from where you are........follow the tracks, thousands have..

I won't ride off an official trail without a local guide.  Without knowing where the trail goes could be trespassing and I will not be party to tainting the impression of our sport by doing this.  The 'thousands' that have created the tracks may know where they are and where they are going.  I do not.

Well, the first 16K were the same as the first 20 K going north, so if 4 K less is an improvement?  The trails were still rough after that, to the point that we looked at the GPS and decided that if we detoured and ran Trout Lake Road until the it intersected with the trail along a long lake.  Coming back, we ran that road all the way to Estaire.  The trails from Estaire to the 16 K point were groomed and were much better.

Pretty bad when you have to ride roads to avoid TOP trails due to lack of grooming.

Looking at the STP SPOT page, they seem to groom all around the hotels without ever getting closer than the 16 K to the south and 20 K to the north.

7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Well, the first 16K were the same as the first 20 K going north, so if 4 K less is an improvement?  The trails were still rough after that, to the point that we looked at the GPS and decided that if we detoured and ran Trout Lake Road until the it intersected with the trail along a long lake.  Coming back, we ran that road all the way to Estaire.  The trails from Estaire to the 16 K point were groomed and were much better.

Pretty bad when you have to ride roads to avoid TOP trails due to lack of grooming.

Looking at the STP SPOT page, they seem to groom all around the hotels without ever getting closer than the 16 K to the south and 20 K to the north.

Trust me I am all over them about that.

Please feel free to use the information I provided you.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Trust me I am all over them about that.

Please feel free to use the information I provided you.

Thanks.  We will.

Have you looked into staging in Chelmsford, Northland motel? Its right near the D trail which will give you daily access to those Sudbury loops. I often ride out there for food at Signatures (they give sledders 10% off). There are trails behind the restaurant that lead to D. 

A good place to stage is the STP office in garson, 10 min drive fro the CG or Moonlight.

It bypasses the 20 k of crap trail as well as the D trail to the railed.

If I was at either place that's what I would do.

I am not in favour of trailering on a daily basis to ride.  This past trip, we had shoehorned 3 sleds into a 2 sled trailer and it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get all three in and tied down.  Not practical.

If I can't ride from the hotel, I will go elsewhere where I can, simple as that.

Does the Northland have a restaurant on site or within easy walking distance?  Might be an option if it does.

35 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I am not in favour of trailering on a daily basis to ride.  This past trip, we had shoehorned 3 sleds into a 2 sled trailer and it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get all three in and tied down.  Not practical.

If I can't ride from the hotel, I will go elsewhere where I can, simple as that.

Does the Northland have a restaurant on site or within easy walking distance?  Might be an option if it does.

I'm not sure TBH.

There are a few resteraunts a short drive from the hotel.

I wish I had a better answer on D111 but I don't. 

I know the C/D trail into coniston was done last night but not towards the CG.

Gr 16 is supposed to do that trail but isn't.

Should make for a fun ride for the poker run out of royal this weekend.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

They used to have a restaurant, not sure if its still open. There are plenty of options for fuel and food around Chemmy. Its not too bad to cross the streets with your sled as well. A few weeks ago i ate lunch at signatures, road west down the sidewalks/ parking lots to the petro can, crossed the street at isadore which fed into the D trail. There appears to be some trails behind the motel (according to google maps) that would probably give you access to the D trail). Give them a call to verify. Worst case Ontario you give those carbides a work out and ride from your hotel down the road to the D.  

Thanks for the replies and options. I guess I will wait until closer to the date and reassess my options. 

CG is such a handy starting point and an easy drive from Huntsville. 

8 minutes ago, Micar said:

Thanks for the replies and options. I guess I will wait until closer to the date and reassess my options. 

CG is such a handy starting point and an easy drive from Huntsville. 

Windy lake motel is clean, well priced, and has good food. It is right on the loop you are interested in. That loop can get a little sketchy in |march, depending on the base and the weather. The northern section of it will rock right till the end, but the southern section can become bare fast. If I were you, I would bide my time and wait until you are close to the date,  if the snow is good and the weather is good, then windy lake is great if not maybe the sportsmans is the way to go and you can run around the northern trails and even do the moose loop as far as windy and then back the same way. many do not like running a return route, but that one is well worth it as the trail is fun both ways and you can take several options back once you get back to C.

Archived