WILL O.F.S.C. open their fat wallet

RIVERMAN

Cartwright Dynos snowmobile club has two groomers broken down and has run out of money to fix them . Will they be able to convince  O.F.S.C. to cough up for the repairs, or it be another short season here in the south.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than the OFSC or the club, is it not the District's responsibility to look after grooming?

1 hour ago, RIVERMAN said:

Cartwright Dynos snowmobile club has two groomers broken down and has run out of money to fix them . Will they be able to convince  O.F.S.C. to cough up for the repairs, or it be another short season here in the south.

What kind of groomers and what is wrong with them? 

2 hours ago, RIVERMAN said:

Our groomer repairs are paid for by the district. Same as the groomer operators are paid by the district. Have they asked their district office about repairs?

4 hours ago, Wildbill said:

not all districts operate like that as well the reduction in grooming fleets under mots has reduced the ability to overlap when groomers went down 

"Reduction in grooming fleets under More on the Snow"  Oxymoronic perhaps?

4 hours ago, RIVERMAN said:

This has nothing to do with the OSFC and money, District 3 has more than enough to pay for these repairs and are covering it. The issue is volunteer manpower. Both groomers are currently at Long Sault Club house. Once I find out the game plan I'll post here and will also pm you  with said info so you know where and when to be there to give hand at fixing these units. 

Curious, how does the story go from this:

5 hours ago, RIVERMAN said:

To this:

33 minutes ago, Nutter said:

This has nothing to do with the OSFC and money, District 3 has more than enough to pay for these repairs and are covering it. The issue is volunteer manpower. Both groomers are currently at Long Sault Club house. Once I find out the game plan I'll post here and will also pm you  with said info so you know where and when to be there to give hand at fixing these units. 

5 hours ago, RIVERMAN said:

Here's where things stand right now, a set of tracks are picked up from Rice Lake Snowdrifters right now by Long Sault Prez Wayne. The Cartwright guys are all busy with family and work stuff and Wayne is leaving for his big anual trip up north tonight, so right now it's just a couple guys from PPSC and Long Sault, we're trying to find as many hands as we can get so this can get done today and trails get groomed for the weekend.  The other unit just needs a tire repair, which will require the track to come off and be put back on.  I will post as soon as I hear what time the tracks will arrive.

7 minutes ago, stoney said:

Curious, how does the story go from this:

To this:

Riverman obviously doesn't know all the details or how things work. This just happened yesterday afternoon, we're scrambling to find hands to get it done, and everyone's already overworked from re-opening trails this week.   

Nutter... you are one of the most dedicated volunteers I know of. Your efforts and those of the others who are "scrambling" to get these groomers back out on the snow should be applauded and a big thank you extended rather than misguided criticism.

28 minutes ago, Nutter said:

Riverman obviously doesn't know all the details or how things work. This just happened yesterday afternoon, we're scrambling to find hands to get it done, and everyone's already overworked from re-opening trails this week.   

I was wondering about the timing, when I checked their FB page, grooming was happening just a few days ago. 

LOL, imagine that huh.......the system really works, grossly underfunded, yet dedication prevails........best protocol I have seen, pound the crap outta the keyboard and trash a system that works. If all the cheap mf out there ponied up we could raise the permit fee and tow the groomers to the repair facility to fix the junk in a timely manor......hahahahahahahaha. ...im goin back to work

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Nutter... you are one of the most dedicated volunteers I know of. Your efforts and those of the others who are "scrambling" to get these groomers back out on the snow should be applauded and a big thank you extended rather than misguided criticism.

Have to echo 02Sleds comment about Nutter and the other volunteers trying to get this problem solved. Bravo to all of you and the dozens and dozens of club volunteers who are also scrambling to get trails ready for the weekend 

55 minutes ago, Nutter said:

Here's where things stand right now, a set of tracks are picked up from Rice Lake Snowdrifters right now by Long Sault Prez Wayne. The Cartwright guys are all busy with family and work stuff and Wayne is leaving for his big anual trip up north tonight, so right now it's just a couple guys from PPSC and Long Sault, we're trying to find as many hands as we can get so this can get done today and trails get groomed for the weekend.  The other unit just needs a tire repair, which will require the track to come off and be put back on.  I will post as soon as I hear what time the tracks will arrive.

Its usually more to do with manpower than money, Elliot Lakes groomer went down at 12;30 yesterday with a broken walking beam. A few phone calls and we had 5 guys on their way out. The track was removed, 2 idler tires removed, broken walking beam removed, then everything put back together. Groomer back running by 6;00. If it wasn't for the 5 guys and the operator stepping up the machine would be still sitting on the trail. Fortunatly we had a spare refurbished walking beam in stock and had access to another one an hour away.

23 minutes ago, Wildman said:

LOL, imagine that huh.......the system really works, grossly underfunded, yet dedication prevails........best protocol I have seen, pound the crap outta the keyboard and trash a system that works. If all the cheap mf out there ponied up we could raise the permit fee and tow the groomers to the repair facility to fix the junk in a timely manor......hahahahahahahaha. ...im goin back to work

I agree Wildman. What we don't know is if the permit buyers would not buy if the price went up. There is absolutely no way to know the true answer to that unless we raise the price and find out. I believe riders will buy permits. Everything else is going up in price(other than McD's coffee). Permit prices need to be raised to a rate that will pay the expenses+ IMHO. Along with the price increases must come increased enforcement.

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I agree Wildman. What we don't know is if the permit buyers would not buy if the price went up. There is absolutely no way to know the true answer to that unless we raise the price and find out. I believe riders will buy permits. Everything else is going up in price(other than McD's coffee). Permit prices need to be raised to a rate that will pay the expenses+ IMHO. Along with the price increases must come increased enforcement.

That's the problem. People want to "see" that they get something for that price increase. Not saying it's right, just the way things are.

29 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would like to see a system where the snowmobile license is a trail pass. Every licensed snowmobile in the province has a valid trail pass. More funding and a lot less enforcement issues. Perhaps even incorporate basic insurance into it. A guy can only dream eh.....

43 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The prices of the permits were higher and people were balking at the price with declining sales. They were reduced and the sales started to climb back. I still believe firmly the permit is a great value.

14 minutes ago, J Feces said:

I would like to see a system where the snowmobile license is a trail pass. Every licensed snowmobile in the province has a valid trail pass. More funding and a lot less enforcement issues. Perhaps even incorporate basic insurance into it. A guy can only dream eh.....

That would indeed make enforcement a lot easier. When the OPP comes across a sled the first thing they look for are the registration numbers and val tag. The trail permit is secondary. The sled could be on a road, in a gas station or wherever. They need the registration and val tag when off of their own property.

I could be mistaken but I believe if you are insured and off your property but your sled isn't currently licensed you may have challenges with your insurance coverage not being valid on an unlicensed sled.

Price needs to be a min of 250. Insurance is same or more, fuel has doubled in cost over past 12 years, permit has increased 10%, sleds are now 15k plus for top of the line and entry level at 9k. What we need is legislation with teeth to burn the freeloaders. I would love a fine of 1000 min for no permit and if that were the case a few of those nice juicy fines and word would travel fast, pay now, or pay 4 times and still have permit. Sales would be fine. But without a min very high fine, we would see more freeloaders if the price went up.

9 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That would indeed make enforcement a lot easier. When the OPP comes across a sled the first thing they look for are the registration numbers and val tag. The trail permit is secondary. The sled could be on a road, in a gas station or wherever. They need the registration and val tag when off of their own property.

I could be mistaken but I believe if you are insured and off your property but your sled isn't currently licensed you may have challenges with your insurance coverage not being valid on an unlicensed sled.

Tying the permit to registration is not the way to go. Nobody that does not use the trail system should pay for it. 

21 minutes ago, zoso said:

Price needs to be a min of 250. Insurance is same or more, fuel has doubled in cost over past 12 years, permit has increased 10%, sleds are now 15k plus for top of the line and entry level at 9k. What we need is legislation with teeth to burn the freeloaders. I would love a fine of 1000 min for no permit and if that were the case a few of those nice juicy fines and word would travel fast, pay now, or pay 4 times and still have permit. Sales would be fine. But without a min very high fine, we would see more freeloaders if the price went up.

18 minutes ago, zoso said:

Tying the permit to registration is not the way to go. Nobody that does not use the trail system should pay for it. 

Doesn’t need to be that complex. I believe permit cost would be reduced and create more funding. I believe it would simplify enforcement. I believe it would create an improved, stronger trail system. We have different opinions on this. That’s ok.... Im out. Work to do. 

Archived