Hunters with rifles on 301!

Giddy UP

5 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Perhaps the snowmobile club could post a sign so sledders are aware of it happening

I'm not sure how the snowmobile club(s) would know beforehand when and where hunting was going to take place. Then there is the issue of having the volunteer(s) available on demand to install the notifications in the proper areas. Then there is the liability factor if  the club missed getting  the notification done one time and there was an issue. Personally, I  don't think this is something clubs would be real interested in getting involved with.

BTW, if a landowner has granted permission for people to hunt on their property it is legal for those people to be there without the landowner. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reevester said:

It was a coyote. And they were running dogs from a road towards the trail I'd bet. It's all legal where they were and I'm sure they hunt the area year round. Try not to let it bother you, people have been hunting long before snowmobile trails were around. :crazy:

Came across a couple of hunters in the same area last year. They have as much right to be there as anyone else.

1 hour ago, Giddy UP said:

The trails were great. Base is thin over the farm fields.  Definitely more snow closer to Midland. 

You are correct Reevester, it was Tiny Marsh not Wye Marsh. Either way, if there are hunters shooting on the trails  (assuming it is their property), where sledders are riding, perhaps there should be a notice or something for folks to be aware of it. It is concerning that if they shoot rifles where there are people sledding there could be an accident!  This animal was shot on the open trail, not off trail. 

and during deer, bird, moose season they are all over the place as well... with hikers who chose to be out, ATV riders etc.

this is good info to know. Never thought about hunters could be in the woods in the winter. Again this group provides the real news.

Jerry

We walk atv and snowmobile trails in the fall hunting. You can shoot from a trail. It is illegal to discharge a firearm from or across a public access rd or within 7-8 meters (not sure of that exact distance but it’s not far) from the rd. Such as a lake access rd or one that is maintained by MTO. Nothing above a .270 NATO round can be discharged below the Mattawa/French River line either. Wolves or certain types that are protected and coyotes are decimating all kinds of wildlife The Algonquin Wolf is one. They say it’s a new rare breed. That’s BS they’ve been around for years but have expanded their territory from the north and a hybrid type I do believe and are a protected wolf. Like mentioned, when walking, hunters hear you before you see them. Shooting at game isn’t really fireing at horizon level either. Be sure of the target and beyond before you shoot. For instance, shooting over a ridge and not have sight beyond the other side is considered a big no no to all hunters. I would say hunters follow those safety rules quite well. No hunter wants to kill anything that we are not hunting,  by accident. I’d say you are pretty safe. 

There are more snowmobilers killed each year by another sledder or their own selves losing control while riding than you ever hear of hunting accidents. It just doesn’t really ever happen. Says a lot about the ethics of hunters. 

Sorry you were disgusted and felt the need to Rant. But your post disgusts me. Typical city liberal who just assumes that hunters are just flinging bullets all over the place

My private cottage road is part of the trail system. I hunt it all the time. I'll give you one guess which activity will stop if crap like this becomes an issue

11 minutes ago, FishHog said:

Sorry you were disgusted and felt the need to Rant. But your post disgusts me. Typical city liberal who just assumes that hunters are just flinging bullets all over the place

My private cottage road is part of the trail system. I hunt it all the time. I'll give you one guess which activity will stop if crap like this becomes an issue

Not sure what he found disgusting. Was it the fact that people were actually out hunting OR that they were hunting in the proximity of a snowmobile trail.

While I'm not a hunter myself I suspect there are more hunters in Ontario than there are snowmobilers. Hunting has been a part of life since the beginning of time, man hunting for dinner as well as animals hunting other animals.

About 3 winters ago we had a lot of snow and wildlife used our trails to travel. That winter we came across more than one deer carcass on or near the trails in the proximity of Swift Rapids lock. Just the way things are.

13 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

Perhaps the snowmobile club could post a sign so sledders are aware of it happening

Do you realize how many additional signs would need to be posted in the Province, not just in the area you are talking about! Countless trails run through private farm fields & bush where hunting is going on, & as someone said before the hunters will hear a sled long before you will ever see them. I guarantee that you've driven past more people hunting in your vehicle & didn't ever realize it! 

14 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

There is signs through that area. Not ofsc signs, I guess government signage as I believe it's a simcoe forest. And next time you enjoy a nice juicy steak, you might want to think about how those horrible hunters were probably farmer's protecting their cattle

56 minutes ago, FishHog said:

More of the entitlement attitude.  Bought a permit so they feel like they have “ownership “ of the trail. I also have private forest access w snowmobile trail as well as a few farm properties that we ALLOW trails on. We are constantly challenged by these users when on our own property, hunting, cutting wood, etc... How dare we interfere with their use of our property!!

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m a big fan of organized snowmobile trails. Committed multiple permit buyer for 20 plus years. You can well imagine how the farmer-landowner must feel when confronted by these type of people....

I wouldn't be too hard on Giddy Up on this topic. I rode the 301 and saw those hunters a week ago, and it took me by surprise too. I don't know that I'd ever seen hunters walking down a trail with rifles before. I saw nothing objectionable in it, but it did strike me as a bit unusual. The guys seemed to be enjoying themselves, as was I. 

I toyed with the idea of stopping to ask if they'd be interested in borrowing my Trail Patrol vest for the day.

54 minutes ago, J Feces said:

More of the entitlement attitude.  Bought a permit so they feel like they have “ownership “ of the trail. I also have private forest access w snowmobile trail as well as a few farm properties that we ALLOW trails on. We are constantly challenged by these users when on our own property, hunting, cutting wood, etc... How dare we interfere with their use of our property!!

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m a big fan of organized snowmobile trails. Committed multiple permit buyer for 20 plus years. You can well imagine how the farmer-landowner must feel when confronted by these type of people....

Not the first and won't be the last that a self entitled snowmobiler gets bent out of shape when they come across a landowner on the trail on their own property. Trails have been lost thanks to the abuse that a landowner has received from a snowmobiler that felt the landowner impacted their ability to ride as they saw fit.

19 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I toyed with the idea of stopping to ask if they'd be interested in borrowing my Trail Patrol vest for the day.

Compliance would be at an all time high! 

15 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Compliance would be at an all time high! 

:rotflmao: Armed trail patrol.... probably get the attention of those without permits.

I do not think in this case it is entitlement. I think it is a more about shock than anything else. If I came across someone hunting and having a kill on the side of the trail I would be shocked as well, it is something that you do not expect to see. Consider for a moment if you were travelling with young children and you see something like this, it could be a difficult talk. I hunt as well, so I understand both side of the issue. 

Ya , don't be too hard on her.

Hopefully this can be turned into an educational bit of enlightenment for the OP and maybe others that are somewhat sheltered from the sport of hunting.

I know some people that have a great deal of disdain for snowmobilers on there property but would welcome anyone that asked permission to hunt.

I hunt and still find myself both a bit both shocked and amazed when I come across a fresh deer kill from coyotes from the night before along side  the snowmobile trail.

Giddy Up has been a long time contributor to this forum. She is likely shocked more than anything..

She is not the entitled type, go easy on her boys....

I don't think anyone is trying to be too hard on Giddy Up, however it was the way that she posted the original about be disgusted by it & shocked, so a little education must be instilled. I understand someone be shocked by seeing someone hunting but from what I can gather is that the hunters were both legal & in there right to be there as well! Hunters have always been easy targets from those who only see a cute furry animal & it must be the mean old hunter who's only out for blood lust & to kill everything in sight as opposed to those who enjoy the outdoors & what it can provide for them for the table. Most hunters are the biggest supporters of wildlife & habitat rehab/retention. 

Also keep in mind that in the early days of the OFSC, most of the trails that were used especially in the North were those cut by trappers & hunters! 

4 hours ago, Running Wild said:

Don't know the gun laws for the northern states but I suspect a lot of sledders carry a gun on them and not for hunting. There were a couple of videos going around last year that involved snowmobilers, guns and moose. 

RW

Not in Ontario. It’s illegal to carry a firearm for protection. Even against wildlife. Laws are pretty strict. For instance, during bow season and hunting big game, you are not allowed to carry a firearm of any caliber or gauge. Poaching is a big problem in the province and the penalties would blow your mind at the consequences. They (game warden, opp) can seize your vehicle and all your belongings related to the efforts to hunt illegally. Send you home on a bus with what you are wearing if they want. 

7 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Not in Ontario. It’s illegal to carry a firearm for protection. Even against wildlife. Laws are pretty strict. For instance, during bow season and hunting big game, you are not allowed to carry a firearm of any caliber or gauge. Poaching is a big problem in the province and the penalties would blow your mind at the consequences. They (game warden, opp) can seize your vehicle and all your belongings related to the efforts to hunt illegally. Send you home on a bus with what you are wearing if they want. 

I believe if you are licensed to own a hand gun in Ontario and you go to a shooting range, you have to drive directly there and directly home when you are done. You  can't stop for anything.

5 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I believe if you are licensed to own a hand gun in Ontario and you go to a shooting range, you have to drive directly there and directly home when you are done. You  can't stop for anything.

Hand gun laws are even more strict. Not sure of the extent of the laws pertaining to hand guns because I don’t have or need a restricted firearm license. I wouldn’t doubt what you’re saying about transporting them though. 

13 hours ago, thetorches said:

Absolutely true. Even if you are stopped by the police, you are told to carry on.

You see this a lot down here in farm country, if there is snow on the ground, people, including myself, are coyote hunting. Its not unusual to see dogs running and trucks on side roads, even saw a truck on a trail once, a rarity as these are respectful people, but likely his land. Hunters are generally good people , like sledders or any group there are some exceptions, but try not to generalize, Im sorry you were disgusted.

On 2018-02-09 at 10:26 AM, 02Sled said:

Not the first and won't be the last that a self entitled snowmobiler gets bent out of shape when they come across a landowner on the trail on their own property. Trails have been lost thanks to the abuse that a landowner has received from a snowmobiler that felt the landowner impacted their ability to ride as they saw fit.

First of all.  Let me make myself clear.  I am not from the city, i have lived in the country for most of my life.  Second, my family and my friends are also hunters.  And i am certainly NOT entitled!  I am sorry, do you know that these hunters were in fact the land owners?  Sounds like you have personal knowledge of who they were?   I happen to have friends that have had these wolf hunters tresspass on their land in this same area and do this very same thing  and yes Blake, I was quite shocked more than anything to see this. I have been sledding for 50 years in and around this area, as well as Northern Ontario, long before OFSC had trails. I was suggesting that I find this perhaps a safety issue. I am not suggesting that a hunter can not use his or her land for whatever use they want, they absolutely have that right. However, accidents can happen, I was simply posting a warning that they were there. I think I was perhaps disgusted by all the blood on the trail and the fact that the animal had been left on the trail. Sorry “boys”, but this is not something that you come across everyday on the snowmobile trail.  A warning to let folks know that they are on this trail I thought was warranted in case there are others that would prefer to take a different route.

Archived