Hunters with rifles on 301!

Giddy UP

RANT ON!!  Since when is it "ok" for hunters to be wandering down OFSC snowmobile trails in the middle of the afternoon with hunting dogs and rifles?  Our group came across 4 men and 2 hounds on the 601 in the Wye Marsh today.  Not only did they have the 2 dogs running loose on the trail....but....when we came upon the fellows in the camo carrying rifles...they also had a freshly killed something on the side of the trail.  It was the colour of a light golden retriever - looked more like a husky sort of dog,  bigger than a fox, not the same colour of a coyote....as well as the blood trail where they had dragged the poor thing down the trail from where the shot it (approx 100+feet) or so up the trail.

This not only disgusted me - but also had me hit the throttle a little to GTFOOT!  I am thinking this is a public safety concern.  Shooting rifles in the forest when there is potential sled traffic on a GROOMED trail btw...we were not off trail in the woods!  Who does this?  Is hunting allowed in the Wye Marsh?  

RANT OVER!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

RANT ON!!  Since when is it "ok" for hunters to be wandering down OFSC snowmobile trails in the middle of the afternoon with hunting dogs and rifles?  Our group came across 4 men and 2 hounds on the 601 in the Wye Marsh today.  Not only did they have the 2 dogs running loose on the trail....but....when we came upon the fellows in the camo carrying rifles...they also had a freshly killed something on the side of the trail.  It was the colour of a light golden retriever - looked more like a husky sort of dog,  bigger than a fox, not the same colour of a coyote....as well as the blood trail where they had dragged the poor thing down the trail from where the shot it (approx 100+feet) or so up the trail.

This not only disgusted me - but also had me hit the throttle a little to GTFOOT!  I am thinking this is a public safety concern.  Shooting rifles in the forest when there is potential sled traffic on a GROOMED trail btw...we were not off trail in the woods!  Who does this?  Is hunting allowed in the Wye Marsh?  

RANT OVER!

https://www.gbhuntersandanglers.com

You were likely on their property... 

Hunting Jack Rabbits would be my first guess. 

I came across Hunters north of Port Severn hunting rabbits on crown land. Can't stop them, they have just as much right to be there as we do. And they don't need a Snowmobile permit to go hunting either....

Yukon - this was not a jack rabbit they were hunting.  And the sign said we were in the Wye Marsh.  Is that private property?  Not sure - but it was definitely a large canine animal that they had shot on the trail - not a jack rabbit that is for sure. 

Sorry I miss understood what you saw being hunted... 

I know that the reserve has a certain area for conservation purposes, but I am not sure if you can hunt outside of that perimeter. 

Where exactly is the 601 trail? All GBSR local club trails are in the 300s? 

25 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

https://www.gbhuntersandanglers.com

You were likely on their property... 

Hunting Jack Rabbits would be my first guess. 

I came across Hunters north of Port Severn hunting rabbits on crown land. Can't stop them, they have just as much right to be there as we do. And they don't need a Snowmobile permit to go hunting either....

Not hunting related but I was out today on the island in Lake Scugog. Came upon 2 ladies with about 12 dogs. A couple of them came running at the sled barking. Slowed down and maneuvered my way thru the herd of dogs. Seen the groomer coming down trail less than a km away. Stopped him and told him about the ladies with the dogs. He told me they come up from Toronto every week to walk dogs.

12 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Sorry I miss understood what you saw being hunted... 

I know that the reserve has a certain area for conservation purposes, but I am not sure if you can hunt outside of that perimeter. 

Where exactly is the 601 trail? All GBSR local club trails are in the 300s? 

Sorry....was 301 NOT 601.  The 301 runs into 601 ..but we saw them on 301. My friend “thinks” was a white wolf that was shot 

It was a coyote. And they were running dogs from a road towards the trail I'd bet. It's all legal where they were and I'm sure they hunt the area year round. Try not to let it bother you, people have been hunting long before snowmobile trails were around. :crazy:

5 minutes ago, reevester said:

It was a coyote. And they were running dogs from a road towards the trail I'd bet. It's all legal where they were and I'm sure they hunt the area year round. Try not to let it bother you, people have been hunting long before snowmobile trails were around. :crazy:

In the north I never got the wolf hunting, but down here I get it, they eat your livestock.

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

That is not the wye marsh, the 601 crosses farm land for the most part. These hunters were most likely on their own private property.

Yep they hunt the area a lot. I stopped and talked to them one day and they had about 12 of the fawn eaters in the back of a pickup. I thanked them for there efforts on control the population that is taking over and eating their livestock and wildgame some of us hunt. 

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

That is not the wye marsh, the 601 crosses farm land for the most part. These hunters were most likely on their own private property.

Correction , it was on the 301 not 601. I have corrected the title. It was in the Wye Marsh. If it was a coyote it was a white one

10 minutes ago, reevester said:

As long as there not shooting towards trail.

5 minutes ago, reevester said:

Yep they hunt the area a lot. I stopped and talked to them one day and they had about 12 of the fawn eaters in the back of a pickup. I thanked them for there efforts on control the population that is taking over and eating their livestock and wildgame some of us hunt. 

I completely agree with population control in areas where people make a living raising livestock. I am sure a farmer can afford to lose zero of their animals. The 301 is not in the wye marsh at all. These guys were just doing what they need to do.

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

The wye marsh is south of 12, and just a little north east of mud lake, nowhere near where you were.

It is tiny marsh in that area. And I'm sure they were on private land. They would love to see a thread like this and just shut the trail down I bet. 

12 minutes ago, thetorches said:

As long as there not shooting towards trail.

Do you not think they know the trail is there when they are using it to travel? They are also concession roads all over too. It's called block hunting I'm sure there safe and use proper etiquette or they would have shot someone by now. 

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

How were the trails?

The trails were great. Base is thin over the farm fields.  Definitely more snow closer to Midland. 

You are correct Reevester, it was Tiny Marsh not Wye Marsh. Either way, if there are hunters shooting on the trails  (assuming it is their property), where sledders are riding, perhaps there should be a notice or something for folks to be aware of it. It is concerning that if they shoot rifles where there are people sledding there could be an accident!  This animal was shot on the open trail, not off trail. 

Last year while riding the seguin trail we come across a group of guys wolf hunting. Stopped and talked to them for a bit and everything they were doing was completely  legal. I agree that it’s startling when u come across them walking down trail w guns in hand!!

Pretty common around here to see hunters walking the rail bed trails especially on the weekend. They likely hunt those areas most of the year. Anytime I've come upon them they are great about getting to the edge of the trail and about controlling their dogs if there is any. Not a problem at all as far as I'm concerned

8 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

The trails were great. Base is thin over the farm fields.  Definitely more snow closer to Midland. 

You are correct Reevester, it was Tiny Marsh not Wye Marsh. Either way, if there are hunters shooting on the trails  (assuming it is their property), where sledders are riding, perhaps there should be a notice or something for folks to be aware of it. It is concerning that if they shoot rifles where there are people sledding there could be an accident!  This animal was shot on the open trail, not off trail. 

Year round where I live I hear firearms being discharged all the time, it is normal in rural areas and hunters pose no danger at all. If you are not a hunter or do not live where it is a regular happening I can understand your concern. However, these guys know what they are doing, I am sure they would only take a shot with a clear sight line, while aiming down so if a shot missed it would hit the ground a very short distance from their prey. Maybe the trail needs a sign to advice sledders that they are riding through an area where hunting takes place so people are not shocked if they see a kill.

33 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Correction , it was on the 301 not 601. I have corrected the title. It was in the Wye Marsh. If it was a coyote it was a white one

Coyote coat will vary in colour from timber wolf blackish to whiteish light blonde and everything in between 

14 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Hunting along sled trails has been going on where I live for  many many years and I don't ever remember of hearing about any sledders being shot due to hunters on the trails. Who are you thinking should be  responsible for the "notice or something"? 

20 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hunting along sled trails has been going on where I live for  many many years and I don't ever remember of hearing about any sledders being shot due to hunters on the trails. Who are you thinking should be  responsible for the "notice or something"? 

Perhaps the snowmobile club could post a sign so sledders are aware of it happening

They will hear the sleds way before you know they are their. 

Doesn't really concern me, seen it many times out riding various areas...

Archived