OFSC "Stay Connected" Events Section

DaveTess

Just went on this section of the OFSC web page to see what's up this weekend. 

Are they for real!! Everything is dated 2015????

What the heck is with that?

Am I missing something?

Don't surprise me in the least. I am into week 3 of waiting for them to contact me for visa info to do trail pass transfer. And yes said I could not legally ride without it. Haha I gave them all required info and pictures three weeks ago. 

Ya but 2015. How has this not been updated for THREE YEARS???

Noticed a couple of months ago.i would be embarrassed if it were my workplace. I have looked at other provinces websites and all are updated and useful. The ofsc has really taken a step backward in my opinion and in most areas. 

14 hours ago, There's a Blizzard coming said:

Don't surprise me in the least. I am into week 3 of waiting for them to contact me for visa info to do trail pass transfer. And yes said I could not legally ride without it. Haha I gave them all required info and pictures three weeks ago. 

yup same here 

5 hours ago, slomo said:

Need a new marketing company - current contract ends in 4 years or so - will make sure more 'competition' next time involving competant organizations.

Sorry slomo, this has nothing to do with a Marketing Contract, either there is no one responsible for this at the OFSC H.O. or with the staff turnover nobody has realized whose responsibility it is to look after this task.

Updating a Website is simple task not something that needs or should be contracted out.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, bbakernbay said:

Sorry slomo, this has nothing to do with a Marketing Contract

Actually it does in the spirit of the "OFSC Rider Experience Request for Proposals" of August 2016 -

The OFSC is seeking a contract agreement with supplier(s) that will provide solutions for rider engagement whilst benefiting
the Federation and of course, snowmobilers. We are looking for innovative solutions that achieve the following:
  Ontario snowmobiling stories (and photos) that engage current permit buyers and attract returning permit buyers.
  Ontario specific content development including tours, rider experiences, club profiles, rider tips ..etc.
  Provide OFSC with access to the content for distribution as required.
  Stories (photos, video) that can be shared through various multi-media channels as deemed appropriate by the
OFSC.
  Added value for OFSC member organizations (including stories that highlight local happenings, club life and
promotion of club membership) and permit buyers in exchange for their permit purchase.
  Messaging that reflects the OFSC strategy and vision while addressing current topics within the snowmobiling
industry.

Additionally - in the same document-  perhaps some interest given the current holder of the OFSC marketing contract -

Terms and Conditions
  Supplier will not engage in any activity which may amount to a conflict of interest during the term of the agreement.
  Supplier agrees to conduct all business within the requisites and spirit of the Federation and its member
organizations.
  The OFSC agrees to comply with suppliers opt in requirements within reason on the electronic permit buying
system. Any changes or amendments required during the term of the contract which involve development costs
will be transferred to the supplier.

Many examples exist where the business of the current holder of the marketing contract is in direct conflict with the goals and core competencies of the OFSC, not to mention pushing agendas which have nothing to do with the OFSC trail system.

Original document -

Rider Experience RFP August 2016.pdf

Anyway, would be interesting to see what kind of 'rigorous process' occured as per Supertrax press release in 2017:

"The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) recently announced that Supertrax Media Inc. (SMI) has been awarded its Rider Engagement Communications contract after a rigorous RFP process that began in August 2016. As a result, SMI will continue its eight-year relationship with the OFSC in a new contract beginning for the 2017/18 season."

Document:

supertrax press release contract.docx

;-)

eight years is one heck of a long term commitment

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

eight years is one heck of a long term commitment

Only about 3.5 years until the end of the current contract - they had an 8 year relationship up to this point. Plenty of time for some other entity to get acquainted with the situation and geared up for the next request for proposals.

Jim, I saw what you did there. 

:icon_lolsign:

Isnt  Ned Nickerson part of the Supertraxx crew. I get a bit peeved when his facebook posts pop up promoting sledding in Wisconsin or Michigan or whereever some one will put him up for free. I made a comment once about him taking ofsc monies and then doing marketing for a competing area. I got friging killed with feedback from his supporters. Old Ned seems to involved in a conflict of interest but it is all overlooked. Maybe i am seeing it all wrong but when I pay some one I dont expect them to promote the competition.

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

Isnt  Ned Nickerson part of the Supertraxx crew. I get a bit peeved when his facebook posts pop up promoting sledding in Wisconsin or Michigan or whereever some one will put him up for free. I made a comment once about him taking ofsc monies and then doing marketing for a competing area. I got friging killed with feedback from his supporters. Old Ned seems to involved in a conflict of interest but it is all overlooked. Maybe i am seeing it all wrong but when I pay some one I dont expect them to promote the competition.

X2 - I also find his articles boring. Come to think of it I haven't heard any of his radio spots, Intrepid Cottager or Snowmobiler in quite some time. I prefer the writings of Groomer Guy myself.

The “ perturbed snowmobiler “ articles are so boring and stale. I can picture him sitting in a drive thru at Timmy Hoes tapping them out on a smart phone while waiting for a double double. 

Ever think that the possibility of 3 bad seasons in a row have taken their toll on clubs setting event dates in advance enough to be worth putting on any website or print publication,  as was done in the past ?  We set our Cat demo date that we did this past weekend only 5 days prior, we waited for a window of opportunity where we had decent conditions and a somewhat solid forecast of cold temps, we still got rained on LOL.  Same is going to be happening for our Poker Run. KLSC just announced their Family Fun Run for this coming Saturday yesterday.  Facebook is fast quick and easy and seems to be trumping all forms of media right now,  and we still get fantastic turnouts on the fly. With these points in mind is it really worth the hassle of having district admins collect all the event info for their clubs when clubs think it's going to happen, then passing it onto OFSC to repost on the OFSC website ?  With seasons like the past 3 it would become an almost daily task to update for all levels, club, district and OFSC.

As our clubs Events and Promotions Coordinator for the past 15 years I can tell you rain/check dates really don't work, volunteers want to ride too and not be on standby all season to have an event/s. Crappy but it is what it is right now.  3 Seasons ago I shifted focus for our biggest event of the season to be a none sledding event before the season starts. It's worked out really well. 

5 hours ago, pt3189 said:

The “ perturbed snowmobiler “ articles are so boring and stale. I can picture him sitting in a drive thru at Timmy Hoes tapping them out on a smart phone while waiting for a double double. 

Craigs FB page has 38,000 followers and is very active with people commenting, asking questions and sharing his posts.  He's obviously doing something right. Heck I've been to most of that places he covers multiple times, and I still enjoy reading his take on it.  Same goes for Supertrax TV,  just looking at the shows Youtube hits alone are enough to see people enjoy watching. With it now online and being able to watch on demand it's become a during breakfast Chromecast staple with our riding crew at the cottage, we watch it every weekend. 

9 hours ago, Nutter said:

Ever think that the possibility of 3 bad seasons in a row have taken their toll on clubs setting event dates in advance enough to be worth putting on any website or print publication,  as was done in the past ?  With seasons like the past 3 it would become an almost daily task to update for all levels, club, district and OFSC.

Yes - because the last few seasons have been bad, this is exactly what is needed - some responsiveness to the major changes of the face of snowmobiling in Ontario.

9 hours ago, Nutter said:

Craigs FB page has 38,000 followers and is very active with people commenting, asking questions and sharing his posts.  He's obviously doing something right. Heck I've been to most of that places he covers multiple times, and I still enjoy reading his take on it.  Same goes for Supertrax TV,  just looking at the shows Youtube hits alone are enough to see people enjoy watching. With it now online and being able to watch on demand it's become a during breakfast Chromecast staple with our riding crew at the cottage, we watch it every weekend. 

As you are co-authoring articles with Mr. Nicholson, and his name (along with his wife's) and all of the various Lesters are printed on the masthead of supertrax magazine, I would hardly call your opinions on this objective or realistic. It is however, noble of you to stand up for your friend, whatever the reason(s) may be.

There are many important snowmobiling issues Mr. Nicholson blithely skips over while he flits from place to place with his peons in tow...things you read about constantly on this forum - volunteer burnout, people spending hours getting trails ready (Cochrane for instance - not a peep although there are many facebook posts wondering why these people aren't highlighted) lack of government coordination or any type of lobbying on the part of the OFSC, lame marketing gambits....then of course there was his 2016 article on riding the Sudbury area when he decided to make a few 'suggestions' as to how the STP could improve their trails....

........but the worst in my opinion is ignoring the hard work of people running businesses that could benefit from snowmobiling such as the restaurants and motel/hotels that he ignores in his 'reports' as he does not get free or discounted services from them.

facebook....continuously scrolling drivel....

38 minutes ago, slomo said:

Yes - because the last few seasons have been bad, this is exactly what is needed - some responsiveness to the major changes of the face of snowmobiling in Ontario.

As you are co-authoring articles with Mr. Nicholson, and his name (along with his wife's) and all of the various Lesters are printed on the masthead of supertrax magazine, I would hardly call your opinions on this objective or realistic. It is however, noble of you to stand up for your friend, whatever the reason(s) may be.

There are many important snowmobiling issues Mr. Nicholson blithely skips over while he flits from place to place with his peons in tow...things you read about constantly on this forum - volunteer burnout, people spending hours getting trails ready (Cochrane for instance - not a peep although there are many facebook posts wondering why these people aren't highlighted) lack of government coordination or any type of lobbying on the part of the OFSC, lame marketing gambits....then of course there was his 2016 article on riding the Sudbury area when he decided to make a few 'suggestions' as to how the STP could improve their trails....

........but the worst in my opinion is ignoring the hard work of people running businesses that could benefit from snowmobiling such as the restaurants and motel/hotels that he ignores in his 'reports' as he does not get free or discounted services from them.

facebook....continuously scrolling drivel....

Co-Author ??   I posted my favorite butter stops to his FB post asking people where their favorite butter stops are,  and he used them and quoted me in one of his articles.

Slomo enough already, like seriously stop with the butt hurt and slagging Craig and the Lesters. They cover all the things you mentioned a lot, your relentless hate for them because you have not been published anywhere is blinding you. They obviously have a good following which shows people like their stuff, your energy trying to discredit them would be much better spent actually doing something to better the sport.  The Lester family, and Craig Nicholson and his wife have been involved in sledding for decades, they were once club, district and association volunteers brushing trails, grooming and holding exec positions. Both still volunteer a considerable amount their FREE time to helping and supporting clubs and volunteers, and also within their paid for content, just because they don't run around touting it doesn't mean it isn't happening, they look for no accolades for doing it, they do it with class, they also don't run around putting others down trying to discredit them every chance they get.  Your constant badgering and putting them down is getting old, and quite frankly is very childish and doing absolutely nothing to help the sport.  I have yet to see you post about your volunteer efforts or anything positive that you have done for the sport, only constant complaining and putting others down. 

The old sayings ....  "never trust a mechanic that puts down other mechanics"  and  "if you have nothing nice to say better to say nothing at all"  both ring very true in life.  

The insipid snowmobilers opinion holds no weight to me his opinions are for sale. At one time the chamber of commerce invited him to speak here his speech basically told the business community that sledding had no future here. I cannot even fathom why he would say that. 

31 minutes ago, Nutter said:

Co-Author ??   I posted my favorite butter stops to his FB post asking people where their favorite butter stops are,  and he used them and quoted me in one of his articles.

Slomo enough already, like seriously stop with the butt hurt and slagging Craig and the Lesters. They cover all the things you mentioned a lot, your relentless hate for them because you have not been published anywhere is blinding you. They obviously have a good following which shows people like their stuff, your energy trying to discredit them would be much better spent actually doing something to better the sport.  The Lester family, and Craig Nicholson and his wife have been involved in sledding for decades, they were once club, district and association volunteers brushing trails, grooming and holding exec positions. Both still volunteer a considerable amount their FREE time to helping and supporting clubs and volunteers, and also within their paid for content, just because they don't run around touting it doesn't mean it isn't happening, they look for no accolades for doing it, they do it with class, they also don't run around putting others down trying to discredit them every chance they get.  Your constant badgering and putting them down is getting old, and quite frankly is very childish and doing absolutely nothing to help the sport.  I have yet to see you post about your volunteer efforts or anything positive that you have done for the sport, only constant complaining and putting others down. 

The old sayings ....  "never trust a mechanic that puts down other mechanics"  and  "if you have nothing nice to say better to say nothing at all"  both ring very true in life.  

It's pathetic the hate for them all on this site. I find it rather comical at times reading the drivel from the likes of the old boys club. I'll admit slomo actually has some seat time and provides excellent posts and info to help others, the rest are keyboard hero's. But for sure Rick, some just need to grow up. 

Archived