Quick trip around the top from Searchmont.

AC+YA

Friday

We drove from lower Michigan to Searchmont and rode directly to Chapleau.  Stayed at Valentines B&B.  Always nice!  Trail was very good.  The way we go is only 120 miles.

Saturday

Got pretty cold.  Stopped at gas station along Hwy 101 where they said no diesel, no LP, and only one gas pump hose swivel not leaking dripping badly due to cold.  Got gas and headed to Foleyet.   Snow was lower around Chapleau, but better than I remember for the last few years and trail was well groomed with what they had.  Found the trail to Foleyet to be very nice and only a short distance of new trail still needed trimmed up just before getting to the last 101 crossing before town.  They have really made that trail nice and eliminated the long section next to the Hwy.

Then after a warm up break at the gas station, the run up to Timmins was also very nice!  Best overall trails to Timmins I have seen.  Got to Cedar Meadows  after a fuel stop.

Sunday 

No inside or heated garage at Cedar Meadows so the 4-stroke would not do it.  After the most violent backfire and checking to see if my boot was torn open, I towed it to a parking spot with an outlet.  Got a hair dryer and let it run inside the hood cowling for about 40 minutes.  The ZR-7000 started and the group delay was over.

The ride up to the end of the Timmins Trails (C Trail) was great.  From where the closed C Trail cut through to Smooth Rock Falls starts into Cochrane were the worst trails of the entire trip.  The connectors were not kept up.  Then once on the A trail all was good again.  Gas in Smooth Rock and a nice run over to Moonbeam club house for lunch.  Always a great stop.

Then the A trail over to Kap and on to Hearst.  All very nice riding as usual.  Interesting hydro line work with impressive tracked vehicles and fires to thaw the ground for new poles.  ALL done without any interference with the A Trail.  Just keep your eyes open.  Great cooperation from the utility.

Then back to a heated garage at the Companion in Hearst after filling up our sleds which were getting low on fuel.

Watch the Super Bowl and had a Lumber Jack Burger in the bar.  Good burger.

Monday

Left late at 11:30AM and ran down to Hornepayne..  As usual the Hearst Trails and Hornepayne Trails were fantastic. 

After fuel a warm up and snacks we continued down the D108A.  There were a couple spots before the Kabi River which had iced up so watch for them.  They were not marked, but only an issue if your planning to not continuing in a straight line across the center of the trail.  If nobody is coming the other way you should be fine.

After the river crossing you will notice all the road building which has been done.  Trail is not involved yet.  There are a couple spots in the trail after the warming shack which are always fixed up by the groomers to keep there from being any water crossings on the trail.  The one spot had a small drop in the center of the trail which they planned to fix as soon as today, but it was really a small issue, especially if you pay attention to the warning tape or flagging tape as they call it.  Just slow when you see such things along the trail.  This was really a non-issue in my book.  The trails were great all through the Dub trail system.

we stayed at the RMR with its heated garage and that is always a wonderful experience.  The people make this 1st class motel my favorite place to overnight! 

Tuesday

Rode from Dub and took the Irish Lake Trail over to the Magpie River and down to Trail 7 to Wawa Lake and through town to get gas and check out the lookout.  Low snow right in town, but I have seen worse.  Trails not too bad.  The D Trail maybe 10 miles after the tracks at the Anjigami Lake Power station has a slight blockage.  The groomer from Halfway Haven sits on the trail broken.  This I am told will be left because to plow into this area would ruin the trail for the season.  Just look at the ITG as it is yellow in this area to warn riders.  you can pass next to it single file only until they can cut another groomer width around it.

Hafway for lunch and gas.  Sean is a great cook and the food is always at the top of my list for all of Ontario.

Then after good food and good talk we were back at it to finish at our trailer in Searchmont at the Driftwood. 

Then it was a long drive home after our 950 miles of fun.

B537DC69-3A6E-4626-8DE9-137673F47B7C.jpeg

BFB64E56-9E0D-4106-BB6A-CC1A4CC59BEE.jpeg

4DC69667-E9D5-4456-A1CD-EA59F9B0CCF9.jpeg

2D305EE6-2C22-4F7F-BDDB-367B3585D524.jpeg

5061DA65-84DD-4699-ACE8-F6F421CEB70E.jpeg

3B67B7AA-DB9E-4F07-AA64-E75296AC4835.jpeg

1D6A38FE-B36A-489A-B793-F29C682E579D.jpeg

5933A49F-F8BE-4398-A77A-85C2A90A1C98.jpeg

D8D1E077-D7D9-4B19-8B4C-4074229DE700.jpeg

C4A7DA1B-59AC-45F2-8B52-A39B5676CBDA.jpeg

94EC930D-B138-42B1-BDFC-6D5FA96937F4.jpeg

987888C4-0D9A-48C0-9BB2-6ECAA8EF2747.jpeg

Sounds like a awesome trip we missed you by a day we were at Valintines on Saturday Dubreuilville on Friday 

6 minutes ago, 1049 said:

Sounds like a awesome trip we missed you by a day we were at Valintines on Saturday Dubreuilville on Friday 

Mark, 

Wish we would have seen you both.

Paige loves talking with your wife.

See you soon.

5 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Mark, 

See you soon.

6 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Mark, 

See you soon.

Had to leave Pam home this time it just me and my son Alex hope you and Paige can make it for the March 17 week say hi to Paige and Graham for us

nice report scott! sounds like you guys, mark, and pam will be up around dub sometime around march 17th-ish? we will be there the 8-18 all week. probably doing a lot of fishing. maybe we can get a beer together, or get a group and head to ernies for a burger. Ski

26 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

nice report scott! sounds like you guys, mark, and pam will be up around dub sometime around march 17th-ish? we will be there the 8-18 all week. probably doing a lot of fishing. maybe we can get a beer together, or get a group and head to ernies for a burger. Ski

Hey Ski we are in Dubreuilville 15 till 19 sounds like a plan

48 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Let me know if you plan a trip to Ernie's I have always wanted to make it there when they are open.  (supply taught a couple days in Missinabi but Ernie's was always closed).  I will head down for the day to join you, maybe even get some evening fishing in too.  

Scott, that sucks to hear about the icy spots.  I put a bunch of snow over them Friday night with the groomer and had hoped with the cold weather the issue had been resolved until things start to melt.  I guess not.  I or whoever else does that trail next will get some slow signs up.  

AC+YA,

Nice pictures.  Brings back memories of our loop through Foleyet before the loop was broken.  One of my riding buddies is a fabricator and adds the frame and lifts to those tracked vehicles.  Whenever he has one in the shop, I always point out he has another groomer.

See the link on how to eliminate the hair dryer routine.  Plug it in all night.    http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16697-yama-cat-viper-7000-cold-starting-issues/

BP

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

AC+YA,

Nice pictures.  Brings back memories of our loop through Foleyet before the loop was broken.  One of my riding buddies is a fabricator and adds the frame and lifts to those tracked vehicles.  Whenever he has one in the shop, I always point out he has another groomer.

See the link on how to eliminate the hair dryer routine.  Plug it in all night.    http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16697-yama-cat-viper-7000-cold-starting-issues/

BP

Did that to our vipers last year they start like it's summer 

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Will plan on seeing you ski. 

Hope weather and all holds in there and Ernie’s would be great. 

Love to see everyone. 

Heading to Quebec tomorrow to meet up with the White Dragon Crew for a week of touring. 

Groomer stuck on trail about 10 miles south of Anjigami track crossing. 

FEE5B230-82CD-4DFF-9408-4EBD390FB0B0.jpeg

Enjoy your Quebec trip Scott looking forward to the Report 

look forward to the pics, and report. you guys travel safe, have fun. we will see you in a few weeks. we are heading up next weekend to ride a day or so with the wawa snowdown, rally connex crew, on the bikes. Ski

Glad you enjoyed riding the area .... I had sledding friends as company 2 days in a row that weekend, should have sent me a message, could have had a drink together ... I still owe you one Scott ... :D 

16 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Will plan on seeing you ski. 

Hope weather and all holds in there and Ernie’s would be great. 

Love to see everyone. 

Heading to Quebec tomorrow to meet up with the White Dragon Crew for a week of touring. 

Groomer stuck on trail about 10 miles south of Anjigami track crossing. 

FEE5B230-82CD-4DFF-9408-4EBD390FB0B0.jpeg

Scott

have a good ride in Quebec Zrtkat & Crew will be starting in Temiscaming on Monday the 12th heading to Quebec City then northbound around the top thru Valdor will return to Temiscaming on the 21st of February ,then Back to Ohio,

will keep in touch

Greg

Gary Scott

Archived