Upper Michigan-Muninsing

hancop

Just got back from sledding in Upper Michigan. Awesome groomed trails and wonderful place to ride.

I rented a sled as don't have one of my own yet, and so have not been on the Ontario trails, but was wondering if anyone on this forum has been to Upper Michigan and how the trails in Ontario compare to them. They were fantastic and I am hoping that the trails in Ontario are just as good for when I get my sled for next year.

Thanks

Was there in 1992-93 season, good riding, good snow at the time.  Motel overbooked on return night, put us up at another motel for the night and fed us, had to negotiate for food,  8 in our party.  7 days riding, not impressed with motel and no rooms afterwards.  Never returned again, cover UP Michigan and part of Wisconsin.  Decent riding, Quebec a much better option, especially with the dollar exchange. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, hancop said:

Just got back from sledding in Upper Michigan. Awesome groomed trails and wonderful place to ride.

I rented a sled as don't have one of my own yet, and so have not been on the Ontario trails, but was wondering if anyone on this forum has been to Upper Michigan and how the trails in Ontario compare to them. They were fantastic and I am hoping that the trails in Ontario are just as good for when I get my sled for next year.

Thanks

I would promote riding during the week.  Munising can be a Zoo.  Quit riding much in the UP and always go to Ontario now.  Stay in the north and usually is fantastic.

Many more ripping stuff up on the weekends in Michigan and my neighbors said because no snow south, there were too many sleds even during the week.  They are retired now.

They groom and re-groom way more it seems to make up for all the sleds ripping stuff up. 

in reality, if you are trailering to Munising in the U.P of Mich, if you straighten your drive direction, you can be almost to wawa in that time frame, on ALOT BETTER SNOW, TRAILS, AND WITH LESS PEOPLE ON SAID SNOW/TRAILS. if you stop and start in the soo, or searchmont, it would be closer, than Munising. my.02 Ski

14 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

in reality, if you are trailering to Munising in the U.P of Mich, if you straighten your drive direction, you can be almost to wawa in that time frame, on ALOT BETTER SNOW, TRAILS, AND WITH LESS PEOPLE ON SAID SNOW/TRAILS. if you stop and start in the soo, or searchmont, it would be closer, than Munising. my.02 Ski

Shhhhhh....lets keep that between us eh!!!

My memory of the UP Michigan riding is as follows: Sleds...Sleds...and more Sleds.....the Groomer.....then 15-20 sleds behind the groomer.  

I have not encountered this issue on Northern Ontario trails, at least not in the Searchmont / Aubrey Falls / Black Creek areas.  

Michigan has almost 200,000 registered snowmobiles, then add in the Wisconsin, Minnesota, ohio, Indiana, Illinois riders for the weekend trips ect... the UP, gets beat FAST! you may see hundreds of sleds a day. Algoma, and the northern corridor... probably less than 20 per day. I know where I am going. Ski

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Michigan has almost 200,000 registered snowmobiles, then add in the Wisconsin, Minnesota, ohio, Indiana, Illinois riders for the weekend trips ect... the UP, gets beat FAST! you may see hundreds of sleds a day. Algoma, and the northern corridor... probably less than 20 per day. I know where I am going. Ski

I know there have been days running from Chapleau to Hornepayne or Hornepayne to Kap & you'd be lucky to meet a dozen sleds. Riding from Geraldton to Wawa, we met 3 sleds near Caramat, a few (1 group frm southern Ont') just east of White River & I think that was it.

Are Deckers still running the tours in Ontario? We crossed paths w/ their groups during a couple of our Northern Blastoffs.

i haven't saw a touring group like deckers, or "come play in the snow" in years. they may still be operating but, I don't know. Ski

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

i haven't saw a touring group like deckers, or "come play in the snow" in years. they may still be operating but, I don't know. Ski

X2

I believe it's all dependent on how the annual snowfall spreads out. If the Gaylord area gets lots of snow, then the UP doesn't see the traffic. Likewise in Ontario, where District 9 is 1/3 of the drive to Sudbury or further for many in the South-West. I have been to the UP several times in the past 5 years and it's always been awesome with the exception of riding the last 2-3 miles into any town where it's always whooped out, but otherwise you've got 100's of miles of smooth trails with lots of different terrain. The UP benefits from tons of crown forests and no winter maintenance back roads that allow for tons of twisty and turny tree'd rides which we lack in Southern Ontario. We have backpacked out of St. Ignace if snow permits and do a big loop up the Northern shoreline over to Munising. The snow depths in these areas are always staggering and the trails are superb. Northern Ontario is much the same. It's not until you get into the South-West where it's alot of field running bush to bush, and lots of old rail lines. But the diversity is always awesome and any day spent sledding is an awesome day in my books!  Happy riding!

24 minutes ago, oldesledupes said:

I believe it's all dependent on how the annual snowfall spreads out. If the Gaylord area gets lots of snow, then the UP doesn't see the traffic. Likewise in Ontario, where District 9 is 1/3 of the drive to Sudbury or further for many in the South-West. I have been to the UP several times in the past 5 years and it's always been awesome with the exception of riding the last 2-3 miles into any town where it's always whooped out, but otherwise you've got 100's of miles of smooth trails with lots of different terrain. The UP benefits from tons of crown forests and no winter maintenance back roads that allow for tons of twisty and turny tree'd rides which we lack in Southern Ontario. We have backpacked out of St. Ignace if snow permits and do a big loop up the Northern shoreline over to Munising. The snow depths in these areas are always staggering and the trails are superb. Northern Ontario is much the same. It's not until you get into the South-West where it's alot of field running bush to bush, and lots of old rail lines. But the diversity is always awesome and any day spent sledding is an awesome day in my books!  Happy riding!

I would agree with that if you add weekday riding.  Sometimes there are just too many riders in and out of the Munising area.  Like you mentioned, this is a bad snow year down below the Bridge so everybody from multiple states are trucking to the U.P. this season and the sad part is that they don't understand what northern Ontario has to offer.  Passports or enhanced drivers license is another big issue with many from the states and it stops them at the border. 

Archived