Ox Narrows - 2018 Report

revrnd

From the appearance both today & Wed', both businesses are closed. The Firehouse has a for sale sign out front.

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

From the appearance both today & Wed', both businesses are closed. The Firehouse has a for sale sign out front.

Been a tough year. Both of these places have been struggling last few years it seems. 

Yes the firehouse has been down for about 3 years.

Ox narrows was open last winter and was packed all the time.  They closed up this year not sure why.  

You can still pass through their parking lot by sled to avoid going under the bridge.

3 hours ago, gobills said:

Yes the firehouse has been down for about 3 years.

Ox narrows was open last winter and was packed all the time.  They closed up this year not sure why.  

You can still pass through their parking lot by sled to avoid going under the bridge.

Little hawk still open. That place was packed last year too? Had great music and stopped in for a few drinks on a Friday night.  It was a short session maybe 4 weeks last year for lakes anyways. 

Edited by Viperules700

On 2/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, Viperules700 said:

Little hawk still open. That place was packed last year too? Had great music and stopped in for a few drinks on a Friday night.  It was a short session maybe 4 weeks last year for lakes anyways. 

Yes its a busy spot sometimes.  Kids love going there because she always has popcorn going LOL

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Last time I was thru in the fall the Firehouse was still for sale & not much going on @ Ox Narrows.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, revrnd said:

Last time I was thru in the fall the Firehouse was still for sale & not much going on @ Ox Narrows.

Dead in the area other than the ice climbers.  Always enjoy watching them.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

On the way over to irREVerentland last Fri' afternoon, there were a few cars parked in the lot by the Firehouse and a few people on the deck between the building and lake. I didn't notice an open side (not the easiest spot for gawking around). It was after 10 PM when I drove back thru so it was pretty quiet @ most businesses.

21 hours ago, revrnd said:

On the way over to irREVerentland last Fri' afternoon, there were a few cars parked in the lot by the Firehouse and a few people on the deck between the building and lake. I didn't notice an open side (not the easiest spot for gawking around). It was after 10 PM when I drove back thru so it was pretty quiet @ most businesses.

I believe that it is cottages only 

• 1 year later...

Old topic yes    Was at the firehouse in 2013 I am thinking   The displays in the place were awesome  Wonder what happened to everything  Food and drink too  were great   Was wondering what happened to it    If we would do the Rap in 2021 we would need to ride a bit further than that area to make the loop work with time off work 

9 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Old topic yes    Was at the firehouse in 2013 I am thinking   The displays in the place were awesome  Wonder what happened to everything  Food and drink too  were great   Was wondering what happened to it    If we would do the Rap in 2021 we would need to ride a bit further than that area to make the loop work with time off work 

The Firehouse and Ox Narrows are closed.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, volunteer2 said:

I remember ox narrows changing owners around late 2000’s or so. New owners tried to bring it back but didn’t work out. It need allot of work and they were way over charging too. Then it closed basically. 
It is a great location that is located in a reliable snow area too. 
I find hailburton good location to start from. Pine stone been good to us. As long as you stay one night they let you park trailer no issues. Perfect days ride to pembroke or Pettawa then onto north bay, then back to hailburton and home. Or go reverse direction. We have rode from pembroke back to hail and made drive home same day too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

I enjoy reading old posts - always wondered if the restaurant reopened ( winter ). 

Agree that the area, and SF's routes, are primo. 

Haliburton highlands a great place for early season sledding.

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Haliburton highlands a great place for early season sledding.

Really. Usually area is still waiting for snow third week of January and b thru area is usually last to open to complete rap tour.  Had so many rough, rides out of village in early to mid Jan, I would pick Kearney or mattawa area for early riding, even Bancroft is better. Hcsa has tough terrain besides rail way line. Now with old b route closed have to wait on hailburton lake to freeze to get to Whitney. When it is good, it is a great ride thru area as you know. 

• 1 month later...

Ox Narrows looked vacant (not sure about the cabins) when we went thru in August. I think the Fire House is just renting cabins.

Came through there on the bikes a couple weeks ago(kushog lk rd is hilarious, even in the rain on knobbies :) )  and there were people at a few of the cabins at Ox Narrows, main building still looked quiet.

The Fire house itself is now a cabin! you can rent the main restaurant building as a cabin! We looked at it when we were trying to find a place to ride bikes out of , contact was a dude, so I guess Anita is gone.

3 minutes ago, toddszr600 said:

Came through there on the bikes a couple weeks ago(kushog lk rd is hilarious, even in the rain on knobbies :) )  and there were people at a few of the cabins at Ox Narrows, main building still looked quiet.

The Fire house itself is now a cabin! you can rent the main restaurant building as a cabin! We looked at it when we were trying to find a place to ride bikes out of , contact was a dude, so I guess Anita is gone.

I think owners change a awhile ago. Place was pretty run down in mid to late 2000’s. 
Good to see some activity there again. Wonder if they would rent anything for winter, location is fantastic in middle of major snow belt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 9:09 AM, toddszr600 said:

You would've passed our old cottage down at the south end. I think it's now the fourth or fifth cottage on the west shore. When my parents sold in '73 it was the second one you saw on your right.