Going throough the ice....

02Sled

Busy day. Four people through the ice on Twelve Mile Lake, north of Minden. A couple of snowmobiles and a couple of ATVs went through with the people when they were drilling holes to go ice fishing.

And  Boshkung Lake near Carnarvon had another couple of people go through the ice.

Apparently everyone got out. There have been lots of reports of very deceptive ice this year. Drill a hole and find 20 inches of ice. Go as little as 10 or 20 feet away and you find as little as 1 inch of ice where typically it would be safe.

17 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Busy day. Four people through the ice on Twelve Mile Lake, north of Minden. A couple of snowmobiles and a couple of ATVs went through with the people when they were drilling holes to go ice fishing.

And  Boshkung Lake near Carnarvon had another couple of people go through the ice.

Apparently everyone got out. There have been lots of reports of very deceptive ice this year. Drill a hole and find 20 inches of ice. Go as little as 10 or 20 feet away and you find as little as 1 inch of ice where typically it would be safe.

I wouldn't be stopping on any ice at the moment. Last year I took a short cut on Kennis lake, since Kennis lake Rd was bare. didn't want to go back thru Hali forest so got on the lake. Was very few tracks at the time. The questionable area's that are usually frozen had open water for a few hundred feet. I hit it at about 80 km/hr and it slowed me down to around 45 or so, felt like I was pulling an anchor thru that section with a roaster tail of water and slush. There was 2 or 3 sections like this. If you went slow, you would be screwed. Ice on most of the lake was around 6". 

21 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I wouldn't be stopping on any ice at the moment. Last year I took a short cut on Kennis lake, since Kennis lake Rd was bare. didn't want to go back thru Hali forest so got on the lake. Was very few tracks at the time. The questionable area's that are usually frozen had open water for a few hundred feet. I hit it at about 80 km/hr and it slowed me down to around 45 or so, felt like I was pulling an anchor thru that section with a roaster tail of water and slush. There was 2 or 3 sections like this. If you went slow, you would be screwed. Ice on most of the lake was around 6". 

That was last year. This year we have had a lot colder weather for steady longer period of time. We also had the melt that got rid of any snow/slush on top of the ice on most lakes and the cold weather since to boot. I don't think it is at all fair to compare the conditions last year vs. this year anywhere in Ontario. I also believe that accurate condition reporting especially lake running should be left to the locals or people who have run those lakes in the last day or two.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

There have been lots of reports of very deceptive ice this year. Drill a hole and find 20 inches of ice. Go as little as 10 or 20 feet away and you find as little as 1 inch of ice where typically it would be safe.

I would be interested in reading reports about this. Do you recall the names of the water bodies affected?

This winter should be good for ice.  We've had lots of cold.  Much more than the short stints of warm we've had.  The melts melted snow on top which adds thickness to what ice was existing.  That been said the rain melted a lot of snow moving water into the streams, rivers and lakes much like spring conditions.  So areas with moving water could very well be worse than they traditionally are at this time of year.  I know my uncle was running the Otonabee river south of Ptbo three weeks ago with over 6" of ice.  It's wide open and cresting the banks right now as the Trent Severn let's the water down through the system.   Not a river I'd ever recommend anyone run, but he has done it lots based on his knowledge of how the water flows in it (he watches the dam upstream of where he rides).  Same will apply in any waterway controlled by dams, or with flow to it.  The thick ice we had could very well of been eaten away from below.  Best to stick to the stake lines unless you really know  (ie. you are the local knowledge in the area of it) the waterway you are playing with.

Know the lake currents. Springs. Stay fast when you don’t know

Unknown lake. Stop near shore

If you stop spread your sleds out

Lakes can be superb riding. Live by a few rules and stay safe

X2

Glad to hear all got out. The 12 mile was one sled and one quad with two people on each, and the boshkung was a side by side with four people. Both these lakes are in the same area and connected. Boshkung is dammed at the north end where halls lake runs into it.  maybe they increased  the flow and altered ice conditions.

Edit: looks like they slowed the flow a week ago at the hawk lake dam.

this took place yesterday, not today.

2 hours ago, gobills said:

O2 where abouts on twelve mile if you know. 

Just caught it on Barrie news. They didn't specify where. On the lake but the map they put up seemed to suggest the south end

26 minutes ago, zoso said:

Glad to hear all got out. The 12 mile was one sled and one quad with two people on each, and the boshkung was a side by side with four people. Both these lakes are in the same area and connected. Boshkung is dammed at the north end where halls lake runs into it.  maybe they increased  the flow and altered ice conditions.

Twelve mile also has logs/dam in it

Where it runs into mountain.  

If it's the south end then that end is never really safe either due to the constant flow going into mountain.

Yes it was yesterday later in the day which makes it today's news.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

X2

X2 love riding the lakes in the area. 

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I'm not by Boshkung on a regular basis, but noticed @ the north end of the lake by the inlet that there is quite a stretch of open water that runs towards Hwy 35. It seemed bigger/longer than in years past. I know of 1 drowning in Little Boshkung back in the 90s.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

I'm not by Boshkung on a regular basis, but noticed @ the north end of the lake by the inlet that there is quite a stretch of open water that runs towards Hwy 35. It seemed bigger/longer than in years past. I know of 1 drowning in Little Boshkung back in the 90s.

Big Boshkung is a mine field of open water My brother and I went surprise winter swimming there one night our selves. Open water at the north end were halls lake flows in on the east side where Beech lake flows in open water on the west end where the buckslides river flows in and on the south end under the hwy 118 bridge where it flows into little boshkung . Little boshkung has this opening and then one real tricky one where it flows into twelve mile it actually reopens out in the middle of twelve mile lake . Wayne Harrison died there. south end of twelve mile then has open water at the hart lodge dam. 

3 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Big Boshkung is a mine field of open water My brother and I went surprise winter swimming there one night our selves. Open water at the north end were halls lake flows in on the east side where Beech lake flows in open water on the west end where the buckslides river flows in and on the south end under the hwy 118 bridge where it flows into little boshkung . Little boshkung has this opening and then one real tricky one where it flows into twelve mile it actually reopens out in the middle of twelve mile lake . Wayne Harrison died there. south end of twelve mile then has open water at the hart lodge dam. 

Yeah & on the west side of the inlet from Hall's Lake there are fish huts. 

We're going to have to write down which of the Harrison boys drowned, since we can never remember the name. Coming back from Torrance last Sept' I had quite a chat w/ Ron Conboy @ 'dis here place on 118 . He filled me in on quite a bit of stuff about the surrounding area since we had sold the cottage. Our walks @ the time took us past the house & then back up the Harrison family farm to the road.

8 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Yeah & on the west side of the inlet from Hall's Lake there are fish huts. 

We're going to have to write down which of the Harrison boys drowned, since we can never remember the name. Coming back from Torrance last Sept' I had quite a chat w/ Ron Conboy @ 'dis here place on 118 . He filled me in on quite a bit of stuff about the surrounding area since we had sold the cottage. Our walks @ the time took us past the house & then back up the Harrison family farm to the road.

It was Wayne Harrison everybody knew him as the Beav or the beaver as a nickname he was Carl and Rosalees's oldest son. 

9 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

It was Wayne Harrison everybody knew him as the Beav or the beaver as a nickname he was Carl and Rosalees's oldest son. 

Speaking of Rosalees, I ran into Rosalea (Lea) Gauthier in Carnarvon a couple of years ago. I told her her who I was & we had quite a chat. I asked her if the family still had their 2 cottages & she said no. They were our 'neighbours' across the bay on Kushog.

Know ice travel and know the lakes you run. If not on a staked line stay off at night. Too many hazards come up too quick.

RR

38 minutes ago, ravinerat said:

Know ice travel and know the lakes you run. If not on a staked line stay off at night. Too many hazards come up too quick.

RR

For sure, pressure cracks being one of them. 

Archived