LH mirror in Quebec.

ZR SLEDHEAD

One rider in our group got a warning / report for not having one. He was given 4 days to install and email in picture proof so as to avoid a $150 ticket.  Trail patrol guys were pleasant n just doing their job. Hope they caught up with the pair of piped sleds who saw the flashing lights, spun around quickly and fled.

2 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

One rider in our group got a warning / report for not having one. He was given 4 days to install and email in picture proof so as to avoid a $150 ticket.  Trail patrol guys were pleasant n just doing their job. Hope they caught up with the pair of piped sleds who saw the flashing lights, spun around quickly and fled.

There was a thread about this just a short bit ago inquiring about that.

Was it trail patrol or the QPP?

I am not sure you can issue a ticket after the offence has occurred...I think it needs to be issued at the time of the infraction. I wonder if that is just a scare tactic being used.

Interesting about the ticket though, I know I have yet to receive one for this and have ran into the Police a few times on the trails while in QC.....always been a pleasant encounter.

Anyone know if modified exhausts are allowed in QC?

Trail patrol.

All I can tell you is what we were told, paperwork issued is a report, if you don't follow up with proof of repair as requested,  $150 ticket will be issued. Guys we dealt with, x tra pleasant.

Exhaust mods,  can say for sure none are allowed.

Also worth noting, on my own sled, have a small convex on the LH rear edge of the hood, no problem yes in spite of I can not see a flipping thing outta it because of the angle.

15 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Trail patrol.

All I can tell you is what we were told, paperwork issued is a report, if you don't follow up with proof of repair as requested,  $150 ticket will be issued. Guys we dealt with, x tra pleasant.

Exhaust mods,  can say for sure none are allowed.

Also worth noting, on my own sled, have a small convex on the LH rear edge of the hood, no problem yes in spite of I can not see a flipping thing outta it because of the angle.

So a report/paperwork was issued? I thought it was just a verbal thing with paperwork submitted later if no proof was sent...regardless, easy enough to appease them with a picture and proof afterwards.

9 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Buddy standing by my sled last yr in Quebec, you can make out the mirror

20170220_170925.jpg

LOL....yep, looks very useful!

But I guess meets compliance.

Got stopped on last day of seven day ride last year and officer didn't like the mirror I wear on back of my hand but was completely okay with the useless convex on my buddies sled.  Weird

2 hours ago, Doze00F7 said:

Got stopped on last day of seven day ride last year and officer didn't like the mirror I wear on back of my hand but was completely okay with the useless convex on my buddies sled.  Weird

Doesn't seem right but I think the key is MOUNTED ON LEFT SIDE OF SLED.

I just got back from a 6 day ride through Quebec and we ran into 1 trail patrol guy who warned us about speeding.   He said the cops would ticket you if they got you on radar going over 100km/h.   

I have heard this argument for years about having a mirror on a sled in Quebec. I have been riding in Quebec for over 20 years without a mirror and never had a issue. 

My understanding is that if the sled is registered in Quebec then yes the sled has to have a mirror. But if it’s not a Quebec sled then no it doesn’t. I put it the same as if a car from Quebec comes to Ontario it doesn’t have to put a front plate on the vehicle because that’s what Ontario vehicles have to have. 

If someone can post the actual law as it pertains to out of province snowmobiles in regards to mirrors , then that would be great

10 minutes ago, gsx6 said:

I have heard this argument for years about having a mirror on a sled in Quebec. I have been riding in Quebec for over 20 years without a mirror and never had a issue. 

My understanding is that if the sled is registered in Quebec then yes the sled has to have a mirror. But if it’s not a Quebec sled then no it doesn’t. I put it the same as if a car from Quebec comes to Ontario it doesn’t have to put a front plate on the vehicle because that’s what Ontario vehicles have to have. 

If someone can post the actual law as it pertains to out of province snowmobiles in regards to mirrors , then that would be great

I don't know. But it might be because having no mirror is a safety issue and plates are not.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:29 AM, Doze00F7 said:

We had heard about that in the past. Buddy had to get mirrors for his Apex.

QC has this requirement for sleds built since 1998, if I read this correctly..

Entirely up to the officer on how he will handle the ticket, or if he will issue one. 

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/V-1.2

Screenshot_2018-02-09-19-21-24.png

1 hour ago, Running Wild said:

Can someone explain why you wouldn't want a mirror (or 2) on you sled?

Maybe because some riders don't look behind them period.  Buddy is broke down 10 km back and they are still going.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

QC has this requirement for sleds built since 1998, if I read this correctly..

Entirely up to the officer on how he will handle the ticket, or if he will issue one. 

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/V-1.2

Screenshot_2018-02-09-19-21-24.png

Thanks for the information 

I stand corrected 

3 hours ago, Running Wild said:

Thanks

RW

That's what I want to know. Why don't you want a mirror. I find if you are trying to look behind you without a mirror, you tend to steer the way you are turning.

1 hour ago, thetorches said:

That's what I want to know. Why don't you want a mirror. I find if you are trying to look behind you without a mirror, you tend to steer the way you are turning.

Yup..cant understand NOT having them..

5 hours ago, Running Wild said:

Thanks

RW

Exactly...makes no sense to me, especially if doing a lot of touring in groups. 

What is the most frustrating is people that have mirrors and don’t use them. 

Have caught up to slower riders riding down the middle of trail for mile after mile and they don’t check their mirrors and let people pass. Not everyone rides at the same pace. 

Agree it should be law everywhere that you need them.  Why put something ugly on the left side.  Get a proper set of factory mirrors and be done with it.  I hear you that the odd slow group doesn't use them.  I've encountered it myself in Quebec behind a tour group doing 20 km/h for 10 miles straight before I found a safe place to pass them.  I chocked it up to new riders to the sport.  Don't we owe it to the newbies to have a little patience with them.  With this said many groups do use their mirrors religiously.  My wife and I let faster groups by us.  We are normally middle of the pack running 60 - 100 km/h on logging roads and 30 - 50 in the tighter bush trails.  There is probably one to two groups a day that will want by and we never hold them up for more than a mile while finding a safe place to waive them through.  If we didn't have mirrors those groups would wait much longer.  I see having mirrors as a respect thing to the people you ride with and other groups that you encounter.   There's no reason everyone shouldn't have them.

Archived