Fun With Sam and The Kids

Laughing Moose

Sam and The Kids are heading to New Liskeard tonight, sledding out tomorrow morning for a quick 2 1/2 day loop through Kirkland Lake, Cochrane, Timmins, Gowganda, back to NL.  

Friday Night - Best Western Cochrane

Saturday Night - Auld Reekie Gowganda

Stay tuned for updates regarding accommodations, trail conditions, various members’ possible mishaps?   

Update:

Driving through Algonquin Park.  

Damn slippery. 

A9B7707C-F375-48E5-804B-39A29BBCCBC6.jpeg

FYI

Kids are all riding BRP 1200 Renegades. 

Trail Boss Sam riding 900 Grand Touring.

Booked into New Liskeard Econo Lodge tonight.  $103.49 plus tax for a double room. 

Trail Boss and Dave arrived in NL.  Booked into Econo Lodge. Cold in NL!!

Just what we want!!!!

CDE0BC31-4398-4762-9BC6-8A840C9E0DCE.jpeg

Our new hero - Nathaniel!!   He just rode in to New Liskeard, 8 days sledding solo out of Bathhurst, New Brunswick, through Maine and Quebec.  He’s heading for Hearst, then returning to New Brunswick.  Up to 3 weeks solo sled trip.  Hope to ride a few miles with him tomorrow.  

The adventure continues!!!

I think I caught him blinking in the photo - he really was awake!

04814CFA-E11A-463F-B8D1-66801A399DC4.jpeg

8 hours ago, Laughing Moose said:

Sam and The Kids are heading to New Liskeard tonight, sledding out tomorrow morning for a quick 2 1/2 day loop through Kirkland Lake, Cochrane, Timmins, Gowganda, back to NL.  

Friday Night - Best Western Cochrane

Saturday Night - Auld Reekie Gowganda

Stay tuned for updates regarding accommodations, trail conditions, various members’ possible mishaps?   

That awesome he can do that. It would great to be able to take off for that long.

Hope you enjoy your ride and keep us posted on your loop.

Friday morning.  New Liskeard.  

Getting ready.  The boys are pumped.

A balmy -26.   

687C49EB-1D73-4764-93CD-FFE242D10A1F.jpeg

Team member sporting his

1867 Confederation Log Home toque!!!!

Missing you Dick!!!

He looks a little crazy cuz he is a little crazy.   

478B5FBA-229B-4925-8789-2B3B94584005.jpeg

Checking in from Kirkland Lake.   It’s been cold, clear and fast.  Trails awesome!  Lunch at Rotten Ronnie’s.  

Traffic light.   

Great supper at The Ice Hut.  We said au revoir to our new friend Nathaniel.  He’s making a round trip (solo) to Hearst tomorrow.  We’re heading south through Timmins to Gowganda - Auld Reekie Lodge.  Temperature dropping.  

We’re overlooking the train station at Cochrane.  Trails were awesome all day.  Traffic was light but was beginning to get heavier toward the end of the day.  Hotel is fully booked.  Free weekend starts tomorrow - oh joy.   

1AD61C73-BF8F-4CD1-9B58-DDEEA2E6C65E.jpeg

Well, it’s -36 here in Cochrane.  All four 4-stroke BRP’s have been started and warm-up.  It’ll be wheels up for Timmins in about 20 minutes!!

D00B45F8-450D-4D6D-845D-B056D30CBE7C.jpeg

C5AC59C2-3FB3-478B-8110-1FF87F989CE9.jpeg

To each their own... at -36 I'm not sticking my head out the door let alone ripping along a trail especially with the mini windshield on the yellow doo on the left in the second picture.

Have a great ride guys and watch out for frostbite. I'm guessing you know about either duct tape or Vaseline on your chin / cheeks to help avoid frostbite.

On 01/02/2018 at 10:39 PM, Laughing Moose said:

Our new hero - Nathaniel!!   He just rode in to New Liskeard, 8 days sledding solo out of Bathhurst, New Brunswick, through Maine and Quebec.  He’s heading for Hearst, then returning to New Brunswick.  Up to 3 weeks solo sled trip.  Hope to ride a few miles with him tomorrow.  

The adventure continues!!!

I think I caught him blinking in the photo - he really was awake!

04814CFA-E11A-463F-B8D1-66801A399DC4.jpeg

Wouldn't that be a cool trip. I think I'd prefer at least one other rider along for the ride though, never know when you might need some help.

The team has arrived in Timmins.  Enjoying delicious brunch at Mike’s Restaurant.  Trails frol Cochrane were excellent, with fresh untouched grooming at least 1/2 the time. 

So it’s on down the 142 to Gowganda this afternoon.  A (hopefully) easy 165 kn to the hot tub.   Temperature has soared to -24 here in Timmins 

33 minutes ago, Laughing Moose said:

The team has arrived in Timmins.  Enjoying delicious brunch at Mike’s Restaurant.  Trails frol Cochrane were excellent, with fresh untouched grooming at least 1/2 the time. 

So it’s on down the 142 to Gowganda this afternoon.  A (hopefully) easy 165 kn to the hot tub.   Temperature has soared to -24 here in Timmins 

Thinking you mean L143. Sounds like you are having a great trip. Thanks for the posts!

Yep, it was the L143.  Trail was smooth and fast out of Timmins.  Got a bit rough after about  80 km out, especially in the twistys off the tower line.  It was better coming into Gowganda.  Team is ensconced at Auld Reekie Lodge.  The Kids are in the hot tub.  Sam is dispensing wisdom of the ages at the bar when not running refills out to the hot tub.   Lots of sledders.   Supper at 6, probably lights out at 8.  

No frostbite, team members are fully intact.  

Well to wrap it up, the team had excellent conditions Sunday morning between Gowganda and New Liskeard.  Particular note is given to the never-ending straight stretch east out of Elk Lake on the old track bed. 

The team enjoyed excellent food and hospitality at Auld Reekie Lodge Saturday night, with terrific breakfast Sunday morning.  $135 plus tax for accommodation, 3 course steak supper and full breakfast.  Well worth it, and the cachet of being with all those other sledders makes it priceless.  Salute to Urs, Diane and family.  Those kids are working hard!

Team members were safe in their nests by Sunday night after a typically snowy drive home.  

Our friend Nathaniel was last heard of from Kirkland Lake by text Sunday night.  He did a round trip solo from Cochrane to Hearst and back on Saturday, getting back in at 11:00pm Saturday night.  Hard core dude!!!

All-in-all, the team had an enjoyable mini-expedition over 2 1/2 days.  Good accommodations, food, and new friends. 

They are off to Quebec in 2 weeks.   Check Quebecrider.com soon for their upcoming Fun With Dick And Sam adventure.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2018 at 8:29 AM, Laughing Moose said:

Friday morning.  New Liskeard.  

Getting ready.  The boys are pumped.

A balmy -26.   

687C49EB-1D73-4764-93CD-FFE242D10A1F.jpeg

Finally getting around to check the thread. That was my day of running back & forth between Timmins & KL. -24* C when I got to the bus station in Timmins.

Archived