Avalanche trailer vs Triton trailer Quality ?

chez-nous cest skidoo

If you can make a Triton work, it’s a good value, good resale too. I would make sure it is at least 12 feet long and not a clam style. I am on my second Triton enclosed and this one is a hybrid TC 167. I like to be able to drop the rear ramp and drive off. I store my sleds in the trailer all year, no salt in winter, no mice in summer and it keeps the sleds looking great longer. If I drive north for snow, I can take a buddy sled too. I know zip about Avalanche trailers but I like all aluminum for light weight, longevity and non clam for convenience. 

35 minutes ago, Xfirecat said:

If you can make a Triton work, it’s a good value, good resale too. I would make sure it is at least 12 feet long and not a clam style. I am on my second Triton enclosed and this one is a hybrid TC 167. I like to be able to drop the rear ramp and drive off. I store my sleds in the trailer all year, no salt in winter, no mice in summer and it keeps the sleds looking great longer. If I drive north for snow, I can take a buddy sled too. I know zip about Avalanche trailers but I like all aluminum for light weight, longevity and non clam for convenience. 

Great points. Trition is a great trailer. I have a lightning trailer, been very happy with it. Came out of the us in 2009 and price was unbeatable. It has been a great trailer and had marine grade plywood as well. Given me zero trouble in 8 years and can probably sell it for what I paid. I use it all year long for various things and would never buy a clam trailer again. 

4 hours ago, signfan said:

The ice and snow needs to come off of any trailer.  It's illegal to leave it up there.  Plus in many instances you'll be over weight if you don't remove it.

Most often I use the trailer for storage rather than going down the road. I clean off the snow but don't typically worry about the last inch or two that is frozen to the roof of the hybrid and not coming off until it warms up. The trailer will support that last bit of ice and snow on the hybrid and I don't need to worry about can I lift it?  You just can't always get the snow off. I drop the ramp back the sled out and ride. Hybrids are just so far ahead of the clamshell. 

16 hours ago, johnsazzr said:

If you plan to get a single enclosed hybrid...consider this.  ML trailers in Bourget Ont...I drove 4.5 hrs in Sept and picked up a single enclosed Avalanche Hybrid for 3250 plus HST....choice of colours....closest Triton single price was about 6-7k even for single....now ML raised the price in Oct to 3450 due to the dollar I think...not even sure f they can get more .....apparently they are the largest Avalanche dealer east of GTA...

59b2bc4ab3d18__27.JPG.5b38d74709387874d6b26091ad1a8cfb.JPG

Triton TC118 's sell for about $6700.  

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Triton TC118 's sell for about $6700.  

I paid $5,400 plus tax for my 2013 TC118......and last I checked, they were about a grand more now a days, so that makes sense. But they do come in different trim levels that obviously affects the price.

20 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Clam shell. Been there, done it, never again. Make sure you have a ladder handy and a shovel. Leave the trailer north for a few days and come back to find it has 2 ft. of snow and ice on top. You try and lift the clam and unless you're Superman or spend countless days at the gym it isn't going up. Get out the ladder and shovel to clean off the top. You want to be careful not to go to close to the top since you can damage the aluminum top. You get almost all of it off except the last inch or two which is primarily ice and pretty much stuck to the roof. Then you get inside and tap the roof to loosen some of the ice and a bit more comes off. Lift the clam and pull the tilt pin. While you're down pulling the pin a bunch of the ice and snow suddenly lets loose and comes down on top of you.

You're done riding for the day. The clam is open and the bed tilted. There's still some snow and ice on the front portion of the clam shell. You drive the sled up onto the trailer and either didn't know or forgot there was a support bar to swing down to ensure the clam shell stays up. As you get the sled on the trailer and it passes the balance point which is different than normal due to the snow and ice, the bed slams down flat and the clam shell slams shut with you sitting on the sled. You can't get your hands between the bed and the shell to lift it up. You can't lift it by pushing on the roof since you can't lift high enough to get it past the point where the gas shocks assist and lift the rest of the way.

You hear your friends outside having a great chuckle... and it's a good thing they were there to open it up since the front hatch is locked and it's black inside the trailer unless you keep the sled running and filling the space with carbon monoxide.

You do paint a portrait 02;).

My odds of this happening to me are quite low, as usually my wife has the sleds loaded on the trailer and ready to go when I get home from work on Friday afternoon.:)

3 hours ago, lastzrt said:

You do paint a portrait 02;).

My odds of this happening to me are quite low, as usually my wife has the sleds loaded on the trailer and ready to go when I get home from work on Friday afternoon.:)

I was relatively new to sledding at the time and the trailer new to me. The guy selling the trailer didn't point out the leg that you could swing down from the clam when it was open to make sure it didn't accidently close. We did have a good laugh that day.

My wife is the opposite... I load and unload and let her know when they're ready to ride.

4 hours ago, stoney said:

I paid $5,400 plus tax for my 2013 TC118......and last I checked, they were about a grand more now a days, so that makes sense. But they do come in different trim levels that obviously affects the price.

I did well then.

Got my '2014 Triton E-12 clamshell for $4800 plus tax. Was a demo. Came with a bunch of upgrades.

True, you do have to clean off the top. No different than my 14x7 , ramp door enclosed, and yes sometimes moisture does freeze and make it difficult to open the clamshell. Pry bar has always opened it up. Short ladder and a shovel cleans the top....or if I'm lazy I just put it in the shop and natural gas does the cleaning lol.

Love the tracks on both sides that allow the tie downs, and as I use it,  eye bolts to be placed anywhere on the tracks. 

Makes it a multi purpose trailer. Lend it to friends to move house etc.

Quality?

I traded a near new Blue Water trailer in on the Triton. No comparison.  Skoda vs Mercedes.  The Triton is far and away a better built trailer.

I own two Tritons, the 12 foot clam, and a 10 foot open.

They will never be for sale.

Archived