Avalanche trailer vs Triton trailer Quality ?

chez-nous cest skidoo

I seem to be hauling my sled further & further, so i'm considering upgrading to an single enclosed trailer from my current single open triton trailer

the Avalanche is a Hybrid style & $750 less, while the Triton is a tilt style

does anyone have some first hand knowledge on Avalanche trailers ?

cheers

Based on their website gallery, they seem to use chip board on the floor and the ski tie down is in a fixed location.

Triton I believe uses marine grade plywood and has a the track system that runs the entire length.

I have the Triton hybrid, so I am biased....I really like mine, been a great trailer so far.

Plus I think I would be more inclined to buy a double vs. single....just to have that option to tow two when the need arises.

18 minutes ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

I seem to be hauling my sled further & further, so i'm considering upgrading to an single enclosed trailer from my current single open triton trailer

cheers

Whatever you do make sure it will fit a long track sled.60 percent of sleds sold today are 137" or longer. So many trailers for sale because they won't fit longer sleds.

25 minutes ago, signfan said:

Just go Triton.  Worth the extra money.  They make an excellent product.

Triton makes the best trailer on the market bar none! 

I have a TC167 and I love it. 

Triton for sure.

Hybrid all the way.  Triton sets the standard the others try and follow.

thanks for all the responses ! .. im currently on my second year with a Triton single which has been excellent so far, ... looks like ill be biting the bullet for another Triton when i upgrade

cheers

Triton is no doubt a quality trailer however there are others of more than adequate quality, in fact very high quality. Part of what you pay for with Triton is name and at times the premium price you pay compared to another just isn't worth that premium. No two trailers will be an apple to apple comparison. 

When I bought my current trailer I looked at all aspects. What wood they used, how many seams in the wood, how high it went on the side walls, quality and neatness of welds, wiring and routing of the wires, did they use a wire loom on exposed runs or just tape, grommets where wire entered or exited tubing, number of hinges on the ramp, did they have grease fittings and so much more. 

I got funny looks when I got down on the floor at the sled show and inspected the underside. Final comparison was between Triton and what I bought which is a Blizzard brand trailer. I just couldn't find enough difference to justify the premium difference in cost. 

As as for type of trailer, hybrid all the way, no question. For me it would be a double trailer even if we only had one sled. Just makes so much sense when two people are trailering to the same place.

14 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Whatever you do make sure it will fit a long track sled.60 percent of sleds sold today are 137" or longer. So many trailers for sale because they won't fit longer sleds.

Nice thing about  a Triton clam if you are going the that style, is the 10' length will take long tracks no problem.

Make sure the front height is good for a TALL  windshield or you have to remove it to close the clam.  I got real, real luck with my old Toy Carrier trailer.  Most new sleds have the windshield farther forward and it will hit the front slope.

BP

51 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Nice thing about  a Triton clam if you are going the that style, is the 10' length will take long tracks no problem.

Depends on how long.  I would never get les than a 12' anything and then the bulges will usually help take care of the skis sticking further ahead of the rectangular deck.

Like BP said, the high windshields also now come into play on many clams.  Long mountain type sleds are often beyond the 12' trailer range.  My boy now has his living in my old 16' clam style trailer which is very easy to pull because it is too short for my high windshield trail sleds and his sled will not fit into a 12' trailer.

Well 141" tracks are long tracks for us Banana belt dwellers who trailer north. :D Still have one Crossfire 141 as my wife still prefers it over the new chassis.

We also have  two new chassis Cat's with 137", my CrossTrek has a good size "old fart" windshield on it with mirrors and it just fits with out hitting. I do load gear at the back of the trailer to offset tounge weight with the longer sleds pulled further forward on the trailer to fit.

7 year old  10' Triton still in great shape, so not needing to replace yet. If I was going to replace a clam, yes I would probably go longer. But it works well for now. For some one on a budget trailer shopping, I would get a 10' Triton over a longer other make.

+1 for Triton quality and longevity/resale.

I don't mind a tilting clam at all, compared to others that say a hybrid is the only way to go. Next trailer purchase for us will be 7' wide Triton that will take 3 long tracks Fak me $$$$

I hate claim shell trailers. Have to carry a torch and spend up to an hour opening the stupid thing. The water spray from road can work it's way in and then once you get into colder northern weather, stupid thing freezes to trailer. 

46 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I hate claim shell trailers. Have to carry a torch and spend up to an hour opening the stupid thing. The water spray from road can work it's way in and then once you get into colder northern weather, stupid thing freezes to trailer.

Never had  problems like that.

Chicken poo on your stuff make ice stick to it?

2 hours ago, MXZMike said:

I have an Avalanche and love it.. The Hybrid style is awesome and makes unloading and loading easy.. I have a double.

Mike

I have an avalanche hydrid double to. Keep it all lubed up and clean. It's on its 5th winter now. Works great. Saved a lot compared to a triton. 

7 minutes ago, jow said:

I have an avalanche hydrid double to. Keep it all lubed up and clean. It's on its 5th winter now. Works great. Saved a lot compared to a triton. 

doublr clam shells on right now in windsor 4500.00 a steal at that price

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Clam shell. Been there, done it, never again. Make sure you have a ladder handy and a shovel. Leave the trailer north for a few days and come back to find it has 2 ft. of snow and ice on top. You try and lift the clam and unless you're Superman or spend countless days at the gym it isn't going up. Get out the ladder and shovel to clean off the top. You want to be careful not to go to close to the top since you can damage the aluminum top. You get almost all of it off except the last inch or two which is primarily ice and pretty much stuck to the roof. Then you get inside and tap the roof to loosen some of the ice and a bit more comes off. Lift the clam and pull the tilt pin. While you're down pulling the pin a bunch of the ice and snow suddenly lets loose and comes down on top of you.

You're done riding for the day. The clam is open and the bed tilted. There's still some snow and ice on the front portion of the clam shell. You drive the sled up onto the trailer and either didn't know or forgot there was a support bar to swing down to ensure the clam shell stays up. As you get the sled on the trailer and it passes the balance point which is different than normal due to the snow and ice, the bed slams down flat and the clam shell slams shut with you sitting on the sled. You can't get your hands between the bed and the shell to lift it up. You can't lift it by pushing on the roof since you can't lift high enough to get it past the point where the gas shocks assist and lift the rest of the way.

You hear your friends outside having a great chuckle... and it's a good thing they were there to open it up since the front hatch is locked and it's black inside the trailer unless you keep the sled running and filling the space with carbon monoxide.

Sounds like a rough day. Lucky you were riding with buddies. I have a single open trailer now. Will be getting an enclosed next season. I've been looking at the trailers and agree the hybrid looks like the better option. 

20 hours ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

cheers

If you plan to get a single enclosed hybrid...consider this.  ML trailers in Bourget Ont...I drove 4.5 hrs in Sept and picked up a single enclosed Avalanche Hybrid for 3250 plus HST....choice of colours....closest Triton single price was about 6-7k even for single....now ML raised the price in Oct to 3450 due to the dollar I think...not even sure f they can get more .....apparently they are the largest Avalanche dealer east of GTA...

59b2bc4ab3d18__27.JPG.5b38d74709387874d6b26091ad1a8cfb.JPG

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Clam shell. Been there, done it, never again. Make sure you have a ladder handy and a shovel. Leave the trailer north for a few days and come back to find it has 2 ft. of snow and ice on top. You try and lift the clam and unless you're Superman or spend countless days at the gym it isn't going up. Get out the ladder and shovel to clean off the top. You want to be careful not to go to close to the top since you can damage the aluminum top. You get almost all of it off except the last inch or two which is primarily ice and pretty much stuck to the roof. Then you get inside and tap the roof to loosen some of the ice and a bit more comes off. Lift the clam and pull the tilt pin. While you're down pulling the pin a bunch of the ice and snow suddenly lets loose and comes down on top of you.

You're done riding for the day. The clam is open and the bed tilted. There's still some snow and ice on the front portion of the clam shell. You drive the sled up onto the trailer and either didn't know or forgot there was a support bar to swing down to ensure the clam shell stays up. As you get the sled on the trailer and it passes the balance point which is different than normal due to the snow and ice, the bed slams down flat and the clam shell slams shut with you sitting on the sled. You can't get your hands between the bed and the shell to lift it up. You can't lift it by pushing on the roof since you can't lift high enough to get it past the point where the gas shocks assist and lift the rest of the way.

You hear your friends outside having a great chuckle... and it's a good thing they were there to open it up since the front hatch is locked and it's black inside the trailer unless you keep the sled running and filling the space with carbon monoxide.

The ice and snow needs to come off of any trailer.  It's illegal to leave it up there.  Plus in many instances you'll be over weight if you don't remove it.

Archived