Where To Head This Weekend??

yamaha06

Hey guys,

Looking to head North for the first ride of the season but have no idea where to go.  Live down in Southern ON.  Was going to head to South River last weekend but had something's come up and never made it, so was planning on heading there this weekend but see all the trails are listed as limited and it sounds like a lot of them are shot.  Looking to leave Friday night, ride Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then head for home Monday around supper time, where would you guys recommend heading?  I thought of maybe starting in Sudbury and then riding out to Shining tree and spending Sat and Sun night there. And just trying to make decent day trips from there.  But not sure what happened with Sudbury, everything was green and now Sudbury and Shining tree are yellow so not sure of the conditions. 

Anybody know if there is any place to drop in Temagami / Temiskaming Shores area??  Kind of thinking if there was some place to drop around there I would ride up to Cochrane from there.  But cant seem to find much info on a place to keep truck and trailer for a couple days close to the trail.

31 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

Anybody know if there is any place to drop in Temagami / Temiskaming Shores area??  Kind of thinking if there was some place to drop around there I would ride up to Cochrane from there.  But cant seem to find much info on a place to keep truck and trailer for a couple days close to the trail.

A few years ago we left the truck in the yard on the lake side of the railway station in Temagami. Thats where Temagami Shores told us to leave it.

I will check into these places, thanks guys.  The trails from there to Cochrane are they fast and do able in a day ride?  Anyone know the trail conditions of these places, I see its listed as yellow until you hit Kirkland Lake.

Sudbury should be green.

Nothing has changed between yesterday and today, well except is snowed.

10 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

I will check into these places, thanks guys.  The trails from there to Cochrane are they fast and do able in a day ride?  Anyone know the trail conditions of these places, I see its listed as yellow until you hit Kirkland Lake.

It's roughly 400 km's. from Temagami to Cochrane. Long day but longer if you have never done it before unless you have good GPS. New Liskeard just went green earlier this week. Low snow conditions was the cause for delay. I don't know for certain but I imagine the low snow reached further south towards Temagami and North Bay. Lots of rock to ride over on that section so it may be taking a while to get a good base built up after the mild spell.

11 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

A few years ago we left the truck in the yard on the lake side of the railway station in Temagami. Thats where Temagami Shores told us to leave it.

Have done the same before.

Also used to park at Sand Dam road , was a parking spot at the intersection of the A/D trail and 102Q just off Hwy 11 north of North Bay. Anyone know if this is still a good drop spot?

2 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Have done the same before.

Also used to park at Sand Dam road , was a parking spot at the intersection of the A/D trail and 102Q just off Hwy 11 north of North Bay. Anyone know if this is still a good drop spot?

Sand dam road lot is still there have never parked overnight there 

Only other area worth riding would be mattawa area east. They showed some nice pics of some of the side trails in area. Great snow conditions too. Heavy traffic might be an issue come the weekend though. 

6 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Only other area worth riding would be mattawa area east. They showed some nice pics of some of the side trails in area. Great snow conditions too. Heavy traffic might be an issue come the weekend though. 

Poker run in chalk river this sat. Squalls just ran throught the area all the way across the hwy 17 corridor to qc. A now open east as far over as Arnprior and calabogie is open running north from there to A South of Ottawa and east to the border are open as well, so that may keep a few from the area riding local and not heading that far to ride.

Lol. This thread is now about each successive weekend. I like it

We use to park on the east side of hwy just above the gas station. I think right where the rail track are, open parking lot, this was a few years back.

Trail north of Temagami is slow and twisty for a bit then opens up halfway to Latchford into one of the best trails I've ever done. Quick from there on up

9 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Mattawa East got hammered by over 300 sleds on the weekend last weekend The report i got yesterday from up that way is they still haven't fixed all the damage from last weekend yet. finally getting enough snow this week along the Ottawa Valley might get some yellow trails open in the valley but it's going to be hammered by the weekend warriors so keep your ice scratchers on.

The Holiday Inn in New Liskeard is a great place to start - 5 hr drive from the GTA.  Lots of parking for truck/trailer and direct access to the trails.   

Ride north from New Liskeard.  You will find limited snow from NL to Kirkland Lake, however once north of Kirkland it gets much better.  

The trails around Cochrane, Smooth Rock Falls, and Timmins are very good.      

Archived