Midland. ...Georgian bay ice conditions. ...ride tomorrow?

Paramuir

I just received confirmation the staked line is in from Penetang to Beausoliel as well as from Midland to Present island.  There was no snow on the ice as of first thing today....Honey Harbour received about 4 to 5 inches of snow but I was told it was blowing around.  Forecast calls for a bit of snow each day for the next 2 or 3....but scratchers maybe required if it gets blown off.

You can check out the Delewana and HHBC websites as they have webcams that show the condition of the ice in that area.

OK went out today briefly.   Snow on the ice was drifting then the wind and snow started to blow   turned around at Beausolie Island

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! !!!!!!!!

Stake line from midland there is a large pressure crack out there.....approach with caution   it is not marked

Also the rough spot from ice breaker but it is clearly marked with slow signs 

Also present island has some wet spot on the far side.

Any idea what the ice is like through South Bay and Honey Harbour?  wondering if it was marked yet?  Would like to try and head out this way on the weekend if possible. We would like to try and head out to Beausolie Island from Gibson Lake.

1 hour ago, GibsonNytro said:

Any idea what the ice is like through South Bay and Honey Harbour?  wondering if it was marked yet?  Would like to try and head out this way on the weekend if possible. We would like to try and head out to Beausolie Island from Gibson Lake.

Doing you need the stakes to find your way? It's being run, lots of ice from what I hear...

I know the way, I just have riders in our group that are a little uneasy on un-staked waterways that they are not familiar with.  I want my group to be comfortable when they are riding.     Thanks for the heads up Yukon.

What a difference 24 hrs. can make. I just got a call from a friend who is at the cottage (Little Lake - Port Severn) From the time he went to bed last night through to this morning there is a foot of snow on the deck and it is still coming down. The Weather Network has snow squall warnings in effect for the area last night and today.

He's heading out on the bay today with a group of locals. Apparently the roads are a bit of a mess though.

I just saw where later this week we could be hit with the biggest storm of the year. There's a storm moving north from the gulf with lots of warm very moist air moving north. They admit that it's too far out to narrow down it's path but I'll remain optimistic. It has been suggested that if it hits the typical snow belt areas we could see 50+ cm of snow with the storm.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

What a difference 24 hrs. can make. I just got a call from a friend who is at the cottage (Little Lake - Port Severn) From the time he went to bed last night through to this morning there is a foot of snow on the deck and it is still coming down. The Weather Network has snow squall warnings in effect for the area last night and today.

He's heading out on the bay today with a group of locals. Apparently the roads are a bit of a mess though.

I just saw where later this week we could be hit with the biggest storm of the year. There's a storm moving north from the gulf with lots of warm very moist air moving north. They admit that it's too far out to narrow down it's path but I'll remain optimistic. It has been suggested that if it hits the typical snow belt areas we could see 50+ cm of snow with the storm.

LOL that figures.  This one probably will come too.  I'm going to PA to visit some friends for a few days.  Probably get stranded somewhere without MY SLEDS!!!  Oh well that's okay.  That means trails should be superb by the time I'm back in Canada.  YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Fingers crossed

7 minutes ago, extreme600 said:

LOL that figures.  This one probably will come too.  I'm going to PA to visit some friends for a few days.  Probably get stranded somewhere without MY SLEDS!!!  Oh well that's okay.  That means trails should be superb by the time I'm back in Canada.  YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Fingers crossed

Thank you for leaving town. I will tell myself that if you had of stayed we wouldn't get any snow so we can owe you for leaving. :D

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Thank you for leaving town. I will tell myself that if you had of stayed we wouldn't get any snow so we can owe you for leaving. :D

Be nice now.  To be honest with you I am the snow maker!!  LOL  Went to Hanover a few weeks back, 12" of fresh snow the next morning.  Went to Timmins Jan.23rd 6" fresh new snow.  Went to Gravenhurst Tuesday received about 4" of snow over night.  Went to Port McNicol Thursday and I drove through a darn snow quall.  Been snowing since I believe.  So, in reality I think you first need to thank me for going to those areas.  LOL

9 minutes ago, extreme600 said:

Be nice now.  To be honest with you I am the snow maker!!  LOL  Went to Hanover a few weeks back, 12" of fresh snow the next morning.  Went to Timmins Jan.23rd 6" fresh new snow.  Went to Gravenhurst Tuesday received about 4" of snow over night.  Went to Port McNicol Thursday and I drove through a darn snow quall.  Been snowing since I believe.  So, in reality I think you first need to thank me for going to those areas.  LOL

Whether you bring snow by coming to town or bring snow by leaving town. THANK YOU!!! We'll take it any way we can get it.

Archived