Frostbite and helmets

signfan

Brp bv2s imo. Bought 2 or 3 maybe years ago when family day weekend was -30ish in sunridge. Rode in some extreme colds. Most recently dec 30 and 31st 2017 in SRF the daytime was around -36 and pretty much no one was riding. Face didnt get cold hands did for sure. I ride a freeride zero windshield on it. Never even plugged mine in once never had a fogging issue. Money well spent imo. I just wear a neck warmer to keep the wind off my neck and keep the buckle off my bare skin under my chin

CKX has a helmet that you can put goggles under a shield.  i ride with the shield up most of the time then put the shield down to cross a lake or at super high speeds.  That combined with the extra tall (Polaris) windshield and I have never had a problem, even on the coldest days or at night. It is a great system.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Domino introduced me to UNWIND balaclavas. 

They are perfect - fit, wind stopping material and durable.

Canuck or anyone - where do you buy these Unwind balaclavas? Saw one on a rider in D'ville who was saddle bagging, got the brand name, but haven't found anywhere close that sells them.

For those not so cold days - keeping the sweat off the helmet ala 02sled,  pick up a Hot Chili or Robert Garneaux snowboarding balaclava - last for years.

Slomo I got mine at royal distributing 

7 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Ski,

After reading what you were using a few years ago I bought 4 of the Klim arctic version balaclavas.  My son uses his for ice fishing also and adds a hat.

Paige and I rode several weeks ago in the -40 C temps and had no issues.  They almost seem too thin, but no wind gets through them.

They are worth the $.

Looking at these and feeling how thin the materials is, does make you wonder, but they work awesome....money well spent, especially if you ride with a MX style of lid.

I too had the unfortunate pleasure of testing it in sub -40 temps with an MX helmet for a weeks trip, had no frost bite to report.

8 hours ago, reevester said:

Yeah they do. I have the neoprene one on and it seems fine to -25. Have the rubber one in the tank b0ag just in case. Just stopped on the hill in north bay for a piss. Should be in KL in a couple hours. :evil2:

Have fun & enjoy!

I dont get the goggle or tilt type helmets. Too much wind gets in.

Full face with electric shield. A thin balaclava along with a neck curtain. Rode in -50 with that and never had frost bite and layers can be removed as temps rise.

Let's face it, the short windshields can make a sled look fast when it is just sitting there, but I would rather have something blocking as much wind as is possible.

Just putting a true shield on your sled takes care of the biggest part of the issue.

35 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Let's face it, the short windshields can make a sled look fast when it is just sitting there, but I would rather have something blocking as much wind as is possible.

Just putting a true shield on your sled takes care of the biggest part of the issue.

But you don't get to look "cool". When someone spends the entire day standing up on the sled the windshield is likely irrelevant. A friends son used to complain about being cold all the time... he took the windshield off and stood all the time.

4 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I took a notch out of my man belt this year and stepped up to a bigger wind shield....have yet to test it out though to see how much warmer it might be.....:icon_steer:

And it actually does not look all that bad....:icon_munching:

On 1/30/2018 at 1:37 PM, Canuck said:

Domino introduced me to UNWIND balaclavas. 

They are perfect - fit, wind stopping material and durable.

I'm probably going into year 4. I'd imagine some people will use theirs for years and years.

I would say half the people out here have Unwind Balaclavas, I might break down and get one soon

Sunday never got above -23 here on our ride and -20 on Monday, this weekend suppose to be -24 where we ride, I will not trail ride in that weather, I forgot my inner jacket sunday,almost froze my stomach riding across the lakes. We don;'t have that much snow this year so riding off trail is taking chances, so went trail riding instead, just need to bundle up pretty good

Archived