Pembroke?

zoso

Well, no response here, no response from any of the clubs I contacted. The ITG is useless, so I guess I cannot risk trailering 2 hours to find closed trails. Great system. I think I might buy a quebec pass next year.

16 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

In all fairness, you only posted a few hours ago.

Hope the ride works out, headed to Quebec in a few hours.

Not sure how far we want to driuve, I know they lost the base in renfrew, not sure how much further north west the bad news goes.

there's anywhere from 5 cm - 25 cm forecast for the Valley Tues - Wed this week it should restore whatever melt we had Pembroke west had 20cm+ when we all got rain a week ago i doubt they lost all that + the base tho i'm sure it'll be Wed by the time the groomers get all the moguls flattened again from the heavy riding last weekend.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

Well, no response here, no response from any of the clubs I contacted. The ITG is useless, so I guess I cannot risk trailering 2 hours to find closed trails. Great system. I think I might buy a quebec pass next year.

Why on earth would you make that comment?  It was updated on Friday, and you're upset it hasn't been updated by end of the day on Sunday? 

If it says it's open on the ITG why would you question it?  I noticed it's been updated as of this morning and it's still showing yellow... 

If I recall the required update days are Tue & Thu. Anything beyond that is when the clubs have someone available to check and report on the trails.

Up here now.  Cobden to Pembroke has tons of rocks on the A trail.  Pembroke to Pettawawa thin but rideable.  People riding on Friday pretty much trashed the trails. A groom will improve it but its pretty icy.

6 hours ago, paulslund said:

Why on earth would you make that comment?  It was updated on Friday, and you're upset it hasn't been updated by end of the day on Sunday? 

If it says it's open on the ITG why would you question it?  I noticed it's been updated as of this morning and it's still showing yellow... 

Well I guess because it rained and was plus ten since the last update...Obviously the conditions were altered by that weather, showed green this morning, glad to get to ride yellow.

If they want to make the ITG the sole place to get open trail info, then yes, I want it updated after a major thaw.  I gambled and went. glad I got to ride and did not drive 300 kms to have lunch and come home. As posted, slag city around pembroke and crappy all,the way from there to petawawa, trails were hard with some ice, lots of moguls anything from stutter bumps to 3 footers and rock hard, better the faster you pound them. Trails got much better west of petawawa. Took a few pics.  Jammed in a quick 150kms, trails were fast as lightning. Saw a couple of groups. Went solo, neighbor was sure there would be no snow. more snow in the forecast over the next week should bring this area back to green.

DSCF5595.thumb.JPG.56aea1ea2475581eed1242d5accdaa01.JPGDSCF5599.thumb.JPG.a6ea0666a1a4ab420111bab0ddc932b8.JPGDSCF5600.thumb.JPG.9d0131ab7d05d7184db9868e75093081.JPGDSCF5603.thumb.JPG.05f6d2790100a8db015940677108f95f.JPG

7 hours ago, paulslund said:

Don't you know... trail conditions are supposed to be updated daily Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday at start of day and end of day. Anything less and they aren't doing their jobs.

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Don't you know... trail conditions are supposed to be updated daily Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday at start of day and end of day. Anything less and they aren't doing their jobs.

Oh come on, plus ten and a major rain event and a club member cannot drive by a trail head and update?  The entire system is useless if you have to trailer to trails if they do not update it after we have a thaw. I think the entire OFSC system is useless with their top down dictatorship. Quebec next year.

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

Oh come on, plus ten and a major rain event and a club member cannot drive by a trail head and update?  The entire system is useless if you have to trailer to trails if they do not update it after we have a thaw. I think the entire OFSC system is useless with their top down dictatorship. Quebec next year.

I have to agree somewhat to more ITG updating if possible given the poor conditions this year so far and others previously. For example - the green trails in Port Loring did not stay green long last weekend - some people at the motel apparently saddle bagging were so upset on Sunday that they refused to talk about conditions.

Good for you getting out Zoso - thanks for the pictures!

Ontario Snowmobile Riders Group (OSRG) on FB is addressing this issue nicely, if you can stand Facebook.

They started the group a few days ago, likely out of frustration, and there's now over 900 members. 

Might save people a lot of time, fuel and frustration. 

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Plus 10 and a major rain event shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that trails would likely go downhill. By the way, I've sledded in Quebec a lot over the years and I can that over that period the Ontario clubs do as good as a lot of the Quebec clubs at doing trail updates. 

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Ontario Snowmobile Riders Group (OSRG) on FB is addressing this issue nicely, if you can stand Facebook.

They started the group a few days ago, likely out of frustration, and there's now over 900 members. 

Yep, a return to the old days before the decent Interactive Guide was introduced (and kept me sledding) where you checked the websites of all the individual clubs in your proposed area of travel to see what was open and what was closed. Facebook is worse in that it keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and then someone shares a post from another place, then more scrolling....

........getting to know the names of the clubs quite well though.....

facebooks.thumb.png.9a299cac3f3b5a568de40a3aa119e599.png

Thanks to Jeff McGirr who first put together an index to a lot of these facebook pages and the club websites (most now defunct)

I just want a decent Interactive Trail Guide like the one before...is that too much to ask?

Most Clubs report their Trail Conditions to the District for updating the ITG.  There is usually one, maybe 2 persons, that decide on the Club trail status.  

Some Clubs may be more pro-active updating than others.

In some cases, the person responsible may have to rely on others to provide recent information on actual trail conditions.  Clubs don’t usually have daily inspections like the MTO for provincial highways.

I also doubt that the District Manager is doing this ITG Update on weekends but maybe some are.

With 10-15 Clubs reporting on multiple trails and indeed sections of the same trail in some cases, it takes time to go through 100 - 150 Trails.

I get it that everybody wants instant trail reports but it is not as simple as the MTO Highway Conditions where you have 24 hour Road Supervisors providing regular Reports on what they find on their particular roadways.

Sure sounds like Saturday was a very heavy traffic day combined with warm wind and rain and conditions changed quickly.

3 hours ago, slomo said:

I have to agree somewhat to more ITG updating if possible given the poor conditions this year so far and others previously. For example - the green trails in Port Loring did not stay green long last weekend - some people at the motel apparently saddle bagging were so upset on Sunday that they refused to talk about conditions.

Good for you getting out Zoso - thanks for the pictures!

I agree with Slomo, in that I somewhat agree with zoso regarding the ITG updates. There wouldn't be much of a problem if the OFSC did not state so definitively that the ITG was the only source of trail status. We are hearing from around the province that 'yellow' can mean anywhere from green to 'should be red'. Red can mean yellow, and green can be soup to nuts. When you have to drive 4-6 hours to find 'open' trails, it gets extra frustrating to find out that the open trails are not rideable, or conversely that you stayed home when the area you intended to visit was actually 'good'. Of course this whole subject is somewhat subjective and therefore difficult by its nature. Just a couple of years ago there was significant improvement in the meaning of the colour designation of trail status. It looks and feels like that has slipped backward some. I can see how honest experienced sledders might end up on closed trails with the current ITG.

Zoso, I would second that Quebec trail reporting is often no better than what we have here right now. It is easy to give accurate status reports when there is a 4 foot snow base and six inches of new snow. That is often the case in much of Quebec. When they get challenging weather conditions, their trail status is suspect.

Thanks for the pics and ride report.

It sucks big time that to get important info on many subjects, one must join Facebook.  I will be the last to submit. 

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Most Clubs report their Trail Conditions to the District for updating the ITG.  There is usually one, maybe 2 persons, that decide on the Club trail status.  

In some cases, the person responsible may have to rely on others to provide recent information on actual trail conditions.  Clubs don’t usually have daily inspections like the MTO for provincial highways.

I also doubt that the District Manager is doing this ITG Update on weekends but maybe some are.

With 10-15 Clubs reporting on multiple trails and indeed sections of the same trail in some cases, it takes time to go through 100 - 150 Trails.

I get it that everybody wants instant trail reports but it is not as simple as the MTO Highway Conditions where you have 24 hour Road Supervisors providing regular Reports on what they find on their particular roadways.

Sure sounds like Saturday was a very heavy traffic day combined with warm wind and rain and conditions changed quickly.

And in some areas you have managers, coordinators and VP's that override the club's reports or just ignore them.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Plus 10 and a major rain event shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that trails would likely go downhill. By the way, I've sledded in Quebec a lot over the years and I can that over that period the Ontario clubs do as good as a lot of the Quebec clubs at doing trail updates. 

It did not take rocket science, hence my concern of trails being open at all. I was looking to ride open trails, not drive for hours to find closed trails. If you cannot understand that, well I do not know what to say.

Enjoyed the trail condition report, Zoso.

'Forums' usually fill in the blanks in a timely manner ( timing issue on this post..wish you local info - glad you rode). 

18 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I joined the OSR Group and posted a description of the process of updating the OFSC ITG system based upon my several years of experience.  I posted an almost identical post on OC under the ‘Pembroke’ thread.

The Admin deleted my post because he didn’t want any posts making any comments about the OFSC.

Needless to say I deleted myself from the OSRG.

17 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

I posted this on the new Ontario Snowmobile Riders Group Facebook page yesterday.

The Admin quickly deleted my post and advised that he doesn’t want any posts mentioning the OFSC.

Needless to say I deleted myself from the Facebook Group.

Let's not forget we are all volunteers! Even the ones reporting updates to the district office.  So if you are not happy then step up and volunteer for your local club!

Archived