Today's sat images.

zoso

much of the province was cloud covered today, but what we can see is the snow is gone in the entire south of the province with lakes opening up. In the east from the cornwall all the way north to the ottawa river and east to the quebec border we can see the snow pack has survived, as well as the corridor following the ottawa river westward. The trails in these areas are showing open on the ITG, however I doubt any of them are in very good shape. When the cold returns and if these areas get some more coverage we may see good sledding here for the remainder of the season into early march. I highly doubt we will see much opening up where the snow has been totally lost, lots of water running and the fields are bare, but perhaps a railbed here and there will provide some local riding for some. I will still not complain about this season, I was able to ride from home several days, and can trailer to ride in less than 2 hours. I think we need to get used to this reality and be happy with a few days of local riding every season if we choose to live in the south.

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

Are the Great Lakes all froze over or is there some open sections 

15 hours ago, northstar said:

Are the Great Lakes all froze over or is there some open sections 

Lake Huron, Michigan and Erie are open. The salt boats have still been running out of the mine at Goderich to ports on those lakes.

Well you might also be seeing areas of surface water from the melts we had,  I was out with the club checking ice conditions yesterday Ottawa river crossing at sand point had 20" - 26", White Lake / Calabogie and a few others all were between 22" - 34" so we haven't lost much in the ice department just little to no snow in open areas.

Thanks for the upload and the links. Quite the La Nina winter experience for us in the south. Those shots of bare land kinda mirror what some La Nina models forecasted for us. We'd get precip but it would likely be clear, not white. 

Never seen it before  when on the last weekend of January there was nowhere within a 4 hour trailer with good yellow or green status trails to be had.

I don't put much stock into what the Farmer's Almanac has to say for seasonal predictions but it looks like they may have nailed our Southern 2018 winter:

""And here’s what the Farmers’ Almanac says:
“Winter temperatures will be above normal, with the coldest periods in mid-November, early and late December, early January, and early and mid-February.
“Precipitation and snowfall will be above normal in the east and below normal in the west, with the snowiest periods in late November, mid- and late December, and early to mid-March."" 

http://www.ontariofarmer.com/sitepages/?aid=12482&cn=Quicklinks&an=La Nina could bring cold winter

We might get our rail line open again, but everything else is flooded fields and muck. Can't begin to describe the disappointment. Volunteers put so much work into our trails for this season only to see them not even open.  In three years as club prez we've had open trails for 1 and even that they were open for maybe 3 weeks in all. 

Archived