Best Route to St Zenon from Huntsville

Micar

Traveling to Auberge La Cabanon on Monday, looking for advice on best route.

GPS says 60-17-417 cross @ Gatineau onto HWY 50 to 31...I'm not keen on driving thru Ottawa with a 27ft trailer to get to Gatineau, 

60-17-417 towards Montreal then 40-31 seems easier or.....

60-17-417-34 and cross @ Hawksbury to 50-31...

Any thoughts or Ideas.

Micar.

Micar, we've done trips to the St. Donat and St. Zenon areas several times in the past (from Huntsville), and found the following 2 routes to be the best, because they avoid the worst of the congestion in and around Montreal, and there are lots of opportunities for fuel along the way:

(1)  Hwy. 60 to Hwy. 17 at Renfrew, 17 to Hwy. 417, continue through Ottawa on the Queensway (417) toward Montreal to Exit 27 (Hwy. 34), take 34 northeast through Hawkesbury and across the Ottawa River to Hwy. 50 in Quebec, go east on 50 to Hwy. 15, take 15 north (toward St. Jerome) one interchange (Exit 39) to Hwy. 158, go east on 158 all the way to Joliette, then north on Hwy. 131 all the way to St. Zenon;  OR,

(2)  same route as above, through Hawkesbury to Hwy. 15, take 15 south (toward Montreal) about 14 kms to Exit 21 (Hwy. 640 By-pass around north side of Montreal), go east on 640 to Hwy. 25 (approx. 20 kms), take 25 northeast past Mascouche to Saint-Espril, where you pick up Hwy. 158 east to Joliette,  then same as above...north on Hwy. 131 to St. Zenon.

Hope this helps...and good luck.  If it's your first time to Cabanon, you'll enjoy the various trails available right from the lodge. 

In montreal on our way to St Zenon. I'll let you know our route when done. You know its bad in Ontario when folks from Huntsville and Halliburton are riding in Quebec!!

Livin'

2 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

In montreal on our way to St Zenon. I'll let you know our route when done. You know its bad in Ontario when folks from Huntsville and Halliburton are riding in Quebec!!

Livin'

No kidding... this will be the second winter in a row, we haven't been able to ride from the garage!

Thanks for the route advice Rev.

When going to Mont Laurier or St Zenon we take the Cumberland/Masson ferry just east of Ottawa.

Take 417 along bottom Ottawa, exit onto 174 follows the river. Leads your right to the ferry about 10 miles after exiting 417.

Ferry runs 24/7. Usually 3 ferries running. Never wait more than 10 minutes.

Drive off the ferry and about 2 miles straight N is Hwy 50 .

cost $18.00 for my truck and 25 foot 4 place trailer.

We are headed there on Wed.

IMG_2274.PNG

Hmm ferry sounds like fun. I wonder if they charge extra for yellow sticker? I have a dually, which is considered commercial even tho I don't use it that way.

Looks like $13 for "6 wheel truck" and $8 for 2 axle trailer....

I'm yellow sticker 3/4 quarter ton so I don't think the dually would make a difference. Believe it is the axles. Been taking using the ferry for about 10 years.

Going through Ottawa is a pain unless you have someone with you knows the route.

The cell service here is brutal, sitting in the lobby to send this. Micar we just took the 40, 31,131 route. Wouldn't do that during weekday rush hour. Rode today around 160 K all good, we're in room 121 if any OCer's are coming up.

Livin'

Ha, finally went through!! Posted that yesterday,(i thought) trails are great heading out for a day ride again.

Livin'

Livin, we were in RM 124!!!! 

Just got home and saw this post.... We had a great three days of riding. Did Repos loop first day. Headed south on Wednesday and short day to the Lac Taureau dam and looped back around to the Auberge and thru St Michel des Saint's. Friday was COLD, so she didn't bother with another single day permit. 

Had a great time...hope you did as well!!

Micar

On 1/29/2018 at 11:56 AM, livin' on the b103 said:

The cell service here is brutal, sitting in the lobby to send this. Micar we just took the 40, 31,131 route. Wouldn't do that during weekday rush hour. Rode today around 160 K all good, we're in room 121 if any OCer's are coming up.

Livin'

Who is your provider?

Rogers sucks in QC....Bell is pretty good, which should also means Telus is good too.

Archived