Port Loring - Trail Closure Possible

Bryan XC700

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crispy said:

In my opinion and experience there was substantially more off trail riding in years gone by. Trappers alone made enough bush trails to ride ten times over what the OFSC offered back when.

I would agree with the above statement if you are speaking of pre- organized snowmobiling. Trappers for the most part in their hay day would be working on crown land would they not?

Broad statement granted regarding more trapper trails etc. What I'm saying is land owner usage losses? Is a regular event that is part of the sport and part of the reason the OFSC is so successful because we keep working around it and finding new routes and new ways to connect. There are reasons aplenty and we can blame cans, off track sledding, etc etc etc but some folks get miserable and lash out and thats that. Doesnt mean we have to self immolate the club, members, or get a bunch of over reaching new legal BS to deal with it. Thats really all its about. I do encourage best behavior though, make no mistake I dont think asshats should get encouraged, rather educated by us rather than punished by the law. We were all young once, lets try and remember that

On 27/01/2018 at 8:56 AM, catinental couch said:

We can fix stupid. Unfortunately it is permanent and the consequences could be quite harsh.

Natural selection would prevent the harsh aftermath....

10 hours ago, Domino said:

Natural selection would prevent the harsh aftermath....

There are many who got short changed at the gene pool. Unfortunately they muddled their way through life and made us stronger by us having to overcome their stupidity.

I have read the thoughtful facebook post by the concerned land owner.  They really get it.  They want to support the sport and there is a history there. 

The point is STAY on the trail.  One thing we cannot over look is that the trails are the safest way to travel.  You never know what is buried under the snow. 

Most of the sledding accidents occur off the trail.  Be respectful and be safe.  This is the only way to go.  If any of you have teenage or younger rider, do all you can to get accross this message.

Just curious. I wonder what would happen if some of the ticked off land owners got ticked off enough to put land mines in their fields well off the trail. We have heard of the real sick individuals that have strung wire across a trail at windshield height but what about the landowner that lays a bunch of fence posts or old railway ties on their side in the middle of their field a 100 ft from the trail.

How many of the trespassing snowmobilers would actually want to come forward with a complaint saying... I know I was trespassing but. Would they still try to sue the club and OFSC even though they were far off the trail.

Would there ever be a land owner that exasperated with the ignorant attitude of a few?

Being devils advocate.

20 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

There is a law against that O2. The landowner would get charged. The same as shooting somebody who breaks into your house in the middle of the night while you are there. Backwards friggin' society.

I was curious... so if I want to scatter a bunch of logs around my field I can't. Hmmm... more incentive to not allow the trail on my property in the first place.

The last thing I want to see is someone getting hurt, trespassing or not. 

Purposely putting objects in the area of the trail to try to deter the trespassing and possibly injuring someone ( or worse), really??  SMH.

7 minutes ago, Crow said:

The last thing I want to see is someone getting hurt, trespassing or not. 

Purposely putting objects in the area of the trail to try to deter the trespassing and possibly injuring someone ( or worse), really??  SMH.

Like I said... curious of the outcome and being devils advocate. I'm not suggesting it should be done by any stretch of the imagination. Just hypothesizing that if there are some real sick individuals that will string wire across a trail at windshield height is it conceivable that someone else may get ticked off enough with trespassers to do something about it.  

I would like to believe that a landowner would never do something like that, they have the option to close the trail.

Yes there are some sick people out there. My take on the wire/rope thing is a disgruntled neighbor who dislikes (obviously) the motorized group going past his property.

Trapping a person into a dangerous circumstance is illegal beyond reproach. Due process people, follow the law, and be very cautious of introducing new laws or gov't powers into life. Show me anything that the government runs or controls, thats anyone enjoys? Theres no room for fun in the house of rules and regulations.

Sledding is pleasurable past time that also serves as a benefit to the economy. Wise folks leave such people alone and encourage participation and wise clubs move trails as far away from jack nut attention seeking land use owners as possible

New land owners moving into small towns and areas would be extremely wise to appreciate the balance of small town politics and not rock boats until one has become an esteemed and respected member of the community. Ten years, minimum. Why? Talk is cheap, its easy to be phony for a while. Ten years? Thats enough time to see the good, and bad in anyone. New folks best be concerned with that should they want to live in harmony with the community

12 hours ago, crispy said:

Trapping a person into a dangerous circumstance is illegal beyond reproach. Due process people, follow the law, and be very cautious of introducing new laws or gov't powers into life. Show me anything that the government runs or controls, thats anyone enjoys? Theres no room for fun in the house of rules and regulations.

Sledding is pleasurable past time that also serves as a benefit to the economy. Wise folks leave such people alone and encourage participation and wise clubs move trails as far away from jack nut attention seeking land use owners as possible

New land owners moving into small towns and areas would be extremely wise to appreciate the balance of small town politics and not rock boats until one has become an esteemed and respected member of the community. Ten years, minimum. Why? Talk is cheap, its easy to be phony for a while. Ten years? Thats enough time to see the good, and bad in anyone. New folks best be concerned with that should they want to live in harmony with the community

New land owners feel they have every right to an opinion of what goes on the first time they pay a tax bill, and that is the day they close on the property they bought, and rightfully so. I have to wonder though, why people move rural and then want city rules, and some do, but we cannot discount them. They do and will have a voice.

21 minutes ago, gtserider said:

So you are on a 10 yr probationary period in Carling?:D

Nope. Grew up in Orrville. Most of my friends and relatives are still in the Parry Sound area. Besides, probation would be great compared to jail time having to live in the city.

There are some people who simply cannot help themselves. they literally force their will into everything they see. Historically we called them busy bodies or Nosey Nancies or something like that and it was generally accepted to hear them out, show you care, and do almost none of what they push for because they had a sort of, problem, socially speaking that is. THe real clever leaders would put them to task at something worthwhile and even better these types can work like maniacs so when the task was completed? Heap praise and thanks upon them.

Taking a personality trait that when left alone to their own devices creates a lot of turmoil and social difficulty and turning it into a useful component of small town living without force, by listening and working together towards a common goal we all need. A good and decent society

Thats how it was done in my time. Nowadays? My wife thinks its stemming from social media and this overly virtuous self righteousness that seems to be the order of the day. The praise comes from outside sources to reinforce the busy body types so they get all high and mighty pushing buttons of power asking government to step up and get in the middle and well, look at how that mess is going? Social division is rampant and suddenly racism is a thing again? Seriously?

The proof is in the pudding as I learned growing up. We simply must find tasks for these busy bodies that aid in our lives instead of standing in the way of them. We must, literally must educate the government types on debt leverage and why this must be stopped. Legally too.

We must have a government that works and lives within its means and we must also due to past abuses, eradicate the public debt or we face a future of communuism, for a while, then that will break and all bets are off.

I spend half my day wondering how its even possible we willingly let this all happen.

40 minutes ago, crispy said:

There are some people who simply cannot help themselves. they literally force their will into everything they see. Historically we called them busy bodies or Nosey Nancies or something like that and it was generally accepted to hear them out, show you care, and do almost none of what they push for because they had a sort of, problem, socially speaking that is. THe real clever leaders would put them to task at something worthwhile and even better these types can work like maniacs so when the task was completed? Heap praise and thanks upon them.

Taking a personality trait that when left alone to their own devices creates a lot of turmoil and social difficulty and turning it into a useful component of small town living without force, by listening and working together towards a common goal we all need. A good and decent society

Thats how it was done in my time. Nowadays? My wife thinks its stemming from social media and this overly virtuous self righteousness that seems to be the order of the day. The praise comes from outside sources to reinforce the busy body types so they get all high and mighty pushing buttons of power asking government to step up and get in the middle and well, look at how that mess is going? Social division is rampant and suddenly racism is a thing again? Seriously?

The proof is in the pudding as I learned growing up. We simply must find tasks for these busy bodies that aid in our lives instead of standing in the way of them. We must, literally must educate the government types on debt leverage and why this must be stopped. Legally too.

We must have a government that works and lives within its means and we must also due to past abuses, eradicate the public debt or we face a future of communuism, for a while, then that will break and all bets are off.

I spend half my day wondering how its even possible we willingly let this all happen.

Sorry but I'm not getting how the above comments have anything to do with possible trail closures in Port Loring.

Theres much history to that perspective that doesnt apply to a single trail closure. I cut plenty of trail over the years and we built bridges too. Only to have busy body types suddenly after the fact get all high maintenance on us and make us work around etc. More of a perspective on the common root of the problem of trail closures from my experience, and perspective. Not an isolated circumstance such as this thread. Make sense now?

If you want off topic? This here is the end of Canada as a sovereign nation. Just say no

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/infrastructure-bank-1.4512240#comments-14512240

Ha. Not allowed to volunteer here anymore, you get arrested for that. Search out the stair case builder in Etobicoke, i aint even kidding. Someone has to be around here to keep some sanity in the ranks eh? :P

Check this out, as Trudeau is pushing to sell Aecon to China state control. No thanks, no commies, nope nada

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-42911468/china-police-state-fear-and-resentment

6 hours ago, crispy said:

Every time I think of McCallum, it makes me think of Foster Brooks. They are two peas in a pod. We all know Trudeau would be ecstatic if he were able to run Canada as a dictatorship. He already said how much he admires the Chinese government.

I moved the last comments to rant of the day not to completely derail this thread. What concerns me is almost all recent dictators were elected. Then immediately removed the electoral process once power was won. With this extreme state controlled power abuses of rights and freedoms become rampant. Its on those grounds I caution asking for any increased police, political, or bureaucratic powers.

We would serve ourselves and the future very wisely by taking control over our overall financial well being by passing bills preventing government debt driven policy and debt/deficit eradication. We dont need debt to make a great lifestyle. In fact, its the opposite

Enough short term gain for long term pain already. Mercy

Archived