Sudbury to Sault via Elliot Lake

PortAvenger

Hi all,

First of all I want to thank everyone who has been providing updates on the snow status up north.

We have our annual trip planned to go February 2nd. Our current trip plan, Day 1 is Sudbury to Elliot Lake & Day 2 Elliot Lake to Wawa.

How did Sudbury / Espanola / Elliot Lake fair in terms of the recent storm?

Is there a chance the trails in this area will be able to open in the next week and a half.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning a trip up to Sudbury that weekend as well so I'm an interested party as well.  The forecast looks favorable as all the rain we're getting in the south will be snow in the north.

Fingers crossed.  I've only got 300kms on my sled this season so far.

Sudbury should be ready to rock by the weekend.

Parts west I don't know

On 1/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, zoso said:

Talked to my buddy in Massey, pretty thin, so I would look to go north not west out of Sudbury. 

It's showing Green in Massey now?

you may want to get with the Elliot lake club. (usually posts updates here) I haven't heard any updates on the connector from Elliot lake to Aubrey falls, and unsure if you can get from Aubrey falls to halfway haven, without having to cross water obstacles, or going into the soo/heyden/goulais to get fuel to get to searchmont and on to halfway. Ski

Unfortunately, there's not much snow to work with east of Sault Ste. Marie towards Elliot Lake.  6" in Iron Bridge, 8" at Aubrey Falls (today) and the same in Elliot Lake. The snow gets thinner as you progress toward Blind River. Like Ski indicated, Elliot Groomer would be a good contact.

As for one of the the washouts West of Aubrey Fall on the Domtar, there's good news out of the Sault Trailblazers Club.  They've been up there several times so far this winter and some of the volunteers have punched through a new route around the washout.  On Facebook, there's some great photos on the volunteers webpages.

Fabris is now finished logging on the Kindiogami, therefore, the road has a chance to start re-building a snow-base.  It was gravel a week ago.  Thank goodness for Monday night's storm.

Check in every few days to see if anyone has updates and perhaps fresh powder.

Dan-Senior

Snow  is thin j7st west of here as well.

19 hours ago, skidooboy said:

you may want to get with the Elliot lake club. (usually posts updates here) I haven't heard any updates on the connector from Elliot lake to Aubrey falls, and unsure if you can get from Aubrey falls to halfway haven, without having to cross water obstacles, or going into the soo/heyden/goulais to get fuel to get to searchmont and on to halfway. Ski

I strongly recommend calling Elliot Lake club and also call Black Creek Outfitters. 

When we took a ride over to Black Creek Outfitters from Goulais River just after the New Year, we were cutting trees on the short F trail link from Ranger Lake Road (556) down past Aubrey Falls Trading Post to break through to the D106 trail.  We spent a couple hours trying to get through and finally gave up and went back to the Trading Post and jumped onto Hwy 129 to get down to the F Trail where it crosses 129.  Black Creek Outfitters is right there at the corner.

This year Elliot Lake Club is responsible for that piece of trail.  I found out that a beaver dam has caused a washout just after the "T" at the junction of D106 and the F trail going north to the Trading Post. 

That will not be easy to fix either, so you may have to jump on the side of Hwy 129 to connect to Ranger Lake Road and the D201F trail.

Good luck to Elliot Lake Club on fixing that!  

The groomer from halfway haven has been down from Black Creek to Otter lake. there is logging going on from there to hwy546 crossing. our groomer went from Elliot lake to the hwy 546 crossing yesterday, Lots of trees down, took him 14.5 hrs there and back, normally 8 hrs.

Our group of 7 going same trip Sudbury - Spanish - Sault Ste. Marie - Elliot lake - Sudbury  14th of February I hope trails will be available to make out triip. Good luck with yours.

4 hours ago, Elliotgroomer said:

The groomer from halfway haven has been down from Black Creek to Otter lake. there is logging going on from there to hwy546 crossing. our groomer went from Elliot lake to the hwy 546 crossing yesterday, Lots of trees down, took him 14.5 hrs there and back, normally 8 hrs.

I think one of the groomers from SSM came through to Black creek and then went farther toward Elliot Lake.  They also went down the D106 part way toward Echo Bay.

I do still see the "RED" breaks in the F Trail at Hwy 129 and then just before the "T" where the F trail turns north towards the Aubrey Falls trading Post.  I believe that the "RED" should actually be after the trail turns off and up to the bridge just after the "T".  The bridge goes over the creek which was dammed by the beaver to cause the issue making the trail "RED".  Zoom in on the ITG Map and change it to the Hybrid mode which shows the creek and bridge.

If the trail is correctly marked as yellow, a crew has cut many trees and done lots of work to just get through that section.  If the water issue is still there, just jump onto Hwy 129 for that short bit and get back on the trail at the Trading Post.  There is still a short bit of "RED" at the water crossing on the D201F also when you zoom in on the map.  For me, that is more the real issue.

Just my thoughts.............

Just communicated with Black Creek Outfitters.....

They told me riders have come through from Searchmont and now from Echo Bay. 

Riders from rom both directions say the trails are good!

Issues must be fixed.  Last I saw ITG still showed “Red” to Echo Bay but they said it has been groomed?

Hope it is all good and stays that way. 

Great job groomers. 

Why is ITG not being updated from Echo Bay to Black Creek Outfitters on Hwy 129 ?

The majority of the D106 shows “Red” while people riding it show pictures and comment on how nice the trail has been groomed?

Who updates Echo Bay Trails?

If anyone knows, please contact them to get the scoop. 

Thanks

05E8210D-9FC5-4D28-A717-02AB03534241.png

AFE830FC-10EB-4493-8D65-9E7861CD24E2.png

According to the St. Joseph Island Club Facebook page, the tree line to Drummond Island has been up for a week now and the tree line from Bruce Mines to Hilton was up yesterday.  Both of these are still showing as red on the ITG.  

It would be great if the map could be updated to show what is really open.  I am planning to do the North Shore Loop on Feb 8th and have been starting to worry that I may need to change my plans...

Archived