Haliburton/minden ice storm??

gobills

Power is out at my house, running on auto genny. power reported out on South Lake as well. That's all I know. Not going home until Thursday, then loading up sleds in new trailer and heading north or to Quebec. It's over before it started here.

Livin'

Thanks

Ya I guess I'll be heading up in the morning.  To get the fire going and genny going.  No power till Thursday night just got updated.  Going to get cold too.

I was in Kinmount yesterday and the rail trail looked pretty bad as far as snow cover on it.

You know it's bad when I am trailering to Ride!! Will be like the bad old days when Teener and I were snow chasers. Looking forward to the adventures. News says 4400 homes without power.

I'll update if the power comes on earlier than predicted.

Livin'

Gotta chase the snow nowadays... 

We are completely wiped out in Haliburton. It's almost like starting all over. Hoping for a complete turn around February. As far as sledding is concerned, I'll live and die in the HCSA region - no more trailering for me. I spent over 30 years snowmobiling out of Queensville / Holland River and Haliburton was always the benchmark snowmobile location. The last few back to back wipe-out winters is indicative of major problems... and I think most know where I am going with this.

Did 5K form home last year, under 1K so far this year, all of that on less than ideal conditions, Cayuna is correct, there was/is no base to the trails so it will be like a new season if we do get snow. 

Livin'

2 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Did 5K form home last year, under 1K so far this year, all of that on less than ideal conditions, Cayuna is correct, there was/is no base to the trails so it will be like a new season if we do get snow. 

Livin'

I got about a k in so far

I just stopped in back at the cottage here at Howland Junction north of Kinmount, since I was working in the area, was going to Post power is back on here but it went off just as I was typing lol 

Trail base on the rail bed behind our place is taking a beating with this weather, going to need a lot of cold and snow to bring it back

20180123_133351.thumb.jpg.9613d2cf1de89a37bd7dd0de97a44dc6.jpg20180123_133353.thumb.jpg.ef1720a407b1e2e4aee2e360f7c6100a.jpg

4 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Power is out at my house, running on auto genny. power reported out on South Lake as well. That's all I know. Not going home until Thursday, then loading up sleds in new trailer and heading north or to Quebec. It's over before it started here.

Livin'

Paul how far north are you heading... looks like me and the guys will be going up somewhere since theres nothing at my dads.

Hey Ian!! Nothing at your dads or my place!! And far, far, beyond. Give me a call or PM me. Not sure where we are going, but if we can ride together that would be great. For the others I said I'd update on the power hydro is still out to some 3000 customers in the area including us. At least it is starting to snow... wouldn't hold my breath though!

Livin'

Nice picture Nutter, that trail is why my new sled needs carbides!!

Livin'

1 hour ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Livin'

Spoke to a hydro crew going down our road checking lines. As figured cascading outages from turning circuits back on. Could be 10min for us, could be a day or so LOL 

Have the genny fired up, pellet stove, fridge, i net and TV ...... unplanned Netflix and chill night at the cottage :-)  

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

Spoke to a hydro crew going down our road checking lines. As figured cascading outages from turning circuits back on. Could be 10min for us, could be a day or so LOL 

Have the genny fired up, pellet stove, fridge, i net and TV ...... unplanned Netflix and chill night at the cottage :-)  

Sounds good, but do you have ice cubes?

2 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Livin'

And mine skis!!! But been on worse than the rail line this year. 

9 hours ago, Nunz said:

I was in Kinmount yesterday and the rail trail looked pretty bad as far as snow cover on it.

I wonder how the trails will be with downed trees after the ice storm....if the snow & cold return that is...

Wow this really sucks. I use to always count on hailburton and surrounding area's at end of January into early February. Last year managed a few rides in before the big feb melt came, that ended everything. Hopefully second of half winter is better. Maybe have to try my luck at ice fishing until snow returns. 

14 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Wow this really sucks. I use to always count on hailburton and surrounding area's at end of January into early February. Last year managed a few rides in before the big feb melt came, that ended everything. Hopefully second of half winter is better. Maybe have to try my luck at ice fishing until snow returns. 

Me to. Never had to go farther than Kinmount last year. Had 900 km's by Jan. 10 and nothing since.

3 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Sounds good, but do you have ice cubes?

It's a weeknight, no CR and Gingers going down here ;-)  

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Sounds like the party is at Rick's place. Don't tell Marni. lol

Parties over, power is back on. Alarm set for 3:15 am departure with 2 jobs to do on the way back south :-) 

20 hours ago, Nutter said:

It's a weeknight, no CR and Gingers going down here ;-)  

Parties over, power is back on. Alarm set for 3:15 am departure with 2 jobs to do on the way back south :-) 

Jeff and Matthew will be disappointed. Could have saved a plugged toilet though. lol

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Jeff and Matthew will be disappointed. Could have saved a plugged toilet though. lol

What happens in Bonfield stays in Bonfield......

What a mess!! Ill be outside burning white pine branches all day tomorrow.  Mother nature is such a pain sometimes!

I can only assume the trails around here are going to be a real mess if they open again this year.

Archived