mactier - january 20 -2018

slomo

Not sure if it was the news article about the foreign workers living in the basement of the Lethbridge Alberta Burger King or the warm wind blowing here at 4 am, but reminded me of the time an aquaintance and I left Lethbridge on our sleds heading west toward Fort MacLeod - anyway about half way there we observe what's known as a Chinook Arch - announcing a warm wind from the west which will raise temps 20 degrees or more in  a few minutes....

chinook.thumb.jpg.5cd3c971c375c304e2cc991868b213b3.jpg

We barely had time to turn around and head back as the wind melted the snow we were quickly trying to leave behind ....

prairie-snow-balls.jpg.cc702dd69a9b9079d06107385287ed5a.jpg

So left quite early this morning to get out and ride before warm temps and traffic trashed the trails....

pic01.thumb.JPG.47504aabb46ceb95fc1805471dedfdd3.JPG

Worth the effort...not really counting total distances over the season like some, but got on 640,000 decimeters on this trip. BTW, if you are planning to get stickers for your truck at the Mactier Service Ontario thinking it is open Saturdays, put it off until after January 28 when they come back from vacation.

A few pictures - there were some great sections, some bad sections and some rocky sections - the Six Star club gang gamely tried to groom trails to maintain a rideable condition, but more snow needed. Washouts are also becoming a problem with the heat...

pic02.thumb.JPG.0e00ac844c7476a328b71a59db82404c.JPG

pic03.thumb.JPG.17e30c212a3b7b1a3f94233e20905f42.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.07c1941b067881efd00bff728f38247f.JPG

Some irony here after having turned around on a trail on a swamp which was no longer rideable....

pic05.thumb.JPG.884246f51728ba32111cd12885fd2605.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.35579f7541b50b8304eb8bfdf39c893a.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.37682cdffd5bf472953557475da6cda9.JPG

pic08.thumb.JPG.f7423793d23d6dfd4dbafe13ca960587.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.ca2933934656d4712887a6a826ba08fb.JPG

Quit around noon and plus 5 degrees  to maintain the structural integrity of my machine for next time    Ending on a nice one for you....

pic10.thumb.JPG.5857b2eb152fac0a5042fdb4a2d62678.JPG

Jager Schnitzel this evening I think......

Nice report, Slomo.

You were wise to get out early.

I left home late, and unloaded at The Cove around 930. There were already two-to-three dozen sledder trucks and trailers parked in the lot, and on Tower Road.  I rode for 70,000 decimetres, before turning around and returning to the truck. I relaunched a bit further north, and rode the Seguin Trail to Kearney and back. Must have seen 60 sleds on the trail, and another 40 parked at the Sprucedale Hotel.

A little less populated on the section east of Sprucedale, where I paused briefly, near Cow S$%t Valley Farms, for my only picture of the day. 

I enjoyed the mid-March weather and trail conditions.

20180120_113701.jpg

Was also on Seguin early Sat morning great conditions considering what we got hit with weather wise.Wife came out after not riding for three years and dealing with

breast cancer last year all was going great, almost made it to Seguin falls.Yeah I was the guy towing a sled back on the Seguin.  

Seguin 18.jpg

36 minutes ago, cravesledding said:

Yeah I was the guy towing a sled back on the Seguin

Which one ?

22 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Which one ?

Blue Polaris been a great sled for us 2004 only 4400 miles on it 550fan cooled. Funny thing it just died.

I went to go restarted and no go then pulled on cord and no movement, oh no engine seized.Once we got back to cottage turned the key and off she went.

But does sound just a little off so will need to get it checked out but wife wants new sled regardless will see what the trade in value will be, figure not much which is a shame

its in mint condition and always stored inside.

Sounds to me like a piston seizure.  Cooled off and the starter broke it loose.  There will be aluminum smeared over the ring lands and the rings will be stuck, hence low compression and that cylinder won't make power and the different sound.  Check that the fan belt didn't break and overheat it.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Sounds to me like a piston seizure.  Cooled off and the starter broke it loose.  There will be aluminum smeared over the ring lands and the rings will be stuck, hence low compression and that cylinder won't make power and the different sound.  Check that the fan belt didn't break and overheat it.

Checked all that full compression on both cyl plugs looked both good no overheating signs nor aluminum debris, rode sled no issues after that but I hear a faint knocking could be my imagination.

I will get it looked at, maybe a bearing.

26 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Police were out on the Almaguin trails on saturday charging people for being on closed trails.

Good for them! We appreciate their work.

51 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Police were out on the Almaguin trails on saturday charging people for being on closed trails.

nice to hear - for some that's the only way they may learn

3 hours ago, cravesledding said:

Checked all that full compression on both cyl plugs looked both good no overheating signs nor aluminum debris, rode sled no issues after that but I hear a faint knocking could be my imagination.

I will get it looked at, maybe a bearing.

My 02 viper died on trail last year. Tried starting with key, wouldn't turn over. Used pull cord and it wouldn't budge. Lifted hood and turned cluthches by hand and it freed it up. Got started but didn't sound right. Had to get towed. Hoping it was the top end. No such luck. It had spun a crank bearing. Don't know if this is your problem since compression was good. I had one dead cylinder.

On 22/01/2018 at 2:55 PM, 02Sled said:

nice to hear - for some that's the only way they may learn

We were riding on Friday from Gravenhurst, trails were open when we left and closed in sections on way back, not much you can do in that case.

On 29/01/2018 at 8:27 AM, cravesledding said:

What date was the Horseshoe lake radar run this year?

sorry just saw this now, been busy and havent been on in a week. Its today from 10-3ish. hope you can make it :)

Archived