End already ?

Fastwhitecat

Looks like southern Ontario is in for another short season, ,, ;-(

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup...  it's becoming a winter event where one has to travel up north...   maybe from Kirkland Lake to snowmobile. Even Hearst to Dubreuilville faces the meltdown.

I'd go to Moosonee to live someday...  sheesh.

I see a business venture for the future of snowmobiling if this lack of snow continues every year. Storage of your sled in the north and just drive up and ride. No need for a trailer. A large heated indoor compound.

The reality is many would just get of of the sport and find something else to do.

Jerry

8 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I see a business venture for the future of snowmobiling if this lack of snow continues every year. Storage of your sled in the north and just drive up and ride. No need for a trailer. A large heated indoor compound.

The reality is many would just get of of the sport and find something else to do.

Jerry

I've suggested similar for areas like Muskoka. The most common reasons I hear for people not getting into the sport are

I don't have a truck to pull a trailer with and don't want to drive a truck as my daily vehicle nor the expense

I don't have anywhere to park a snowmobile trailer in my driveway or condo parking garage.

They don't seem to have a problem with buying the sled and the riding gear. If there were places on the trail to store the sled indoors so you could drive and ride there would probably be quite a few people finding the sport more attractive and participating.

5 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Yup...  it's becoming a winter event where one has to travel up north...   maybe from Kirkland Lake to snowmobile. Even Hearst to Dubreuilville faces the meltdown.

I'd go to Moosonee to live someday...  sheesh.

Hey Ty. We should rent a DC-3, load it up with sleds and you can fly us up north some where.

There will be thousands of kilometres of trails open south of North Bay for a few weeks, before this season is finished.

Just my opinion here...but that's the part of the sport....trailering to different parts of the province, seeing different trails and supporting those areas. 

That's what it's all about.

Anyone South of Haliburton should know that a trailer and travel is mandatory to truly enjoy it. 

Trails in the South will be a thing of the past soon. 

With people  trespassing, riding closed trails and the weather...we're doomed down here.

Give it a couple weeks and trails in the south will reopen.... 

48 minutes ago, monte1214 said:

Just my opinion here...but that's the part of the sport....trailering to different parts of the province, seeing different trails and supporting those areas. 

That's what it's all about.

Anyone South of Haliburton should know that a trailer and travel is mandatory to truly enjoy it. 

Trails in the South will be a thing of the past soon. 

With people  trespassing, riding closed trails and the weather...we're doomed down here.

Just to add to your list people developing the land that used to have trails on it as well.

I'm new to the sport and traveling to ride is part of the game IMO. Exploring Ontario, road tripping and seeing the sites is a main reason I bought a sled. I definitely don't expect to ride locally for 12 weeks in the Peterborough area that's for sure!  I've had my sled for three weeks, had 10 days off riding since then and have 1229km in so far.  Having a blast.

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Give it a couple weeks and trails in the south will reopen.... 

Plus temps next weekend too, when I last looked. Maybe feb will be better, but extra sun light is going to start to hurt us soon. Too.  

With our luck we will get two feet of snow first week of march, time I finish clearing all my drive way, it will rain again. 

It's a tough go in the south for sure but I keep hoping that the weather trend will change. 2015 wasn't too bad. We would have been still good here if it wasn't for a day and half of crap. We had so much snow here in the Strathroy area that I never would have thought that we would lose all of it. It's still early in the season. 

Anything can happen overnight! Only at the half way point...

6 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Yup still have lots of winter left,only have 325 km on so far ,must put more on than that.If areas dont lose all the base it wont take alot of snow to get things going again .

My feeling is just ride where there is snow, sure it's an added expense of trailering every week and would love to ride locally but I would rather ride than stay home. 1785 miles on the sled so far this season.

29 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Absolutely... I have seen the area around southern Georgian Bay and east get 3 ft. of heavy snow overnight. I recall a few years ago waiting for it to snow then suddenly mid January we got dumped on overnight. So much so that the groomers were having a challenge dealing with so much snow at one time.

As for trailering... I'm willing to do that within limits. For me I'm not driving 6 hours one way, paying $125 for a place to sleep overnight that is questionably clean and paying $25 - $30 for a burger and fries for dinner which would be the case in some places. I will drive about 3 hours but that's about it.

Like most here I'm hoping for a better February than January!

however it was nice to install new ski guides on trailer yesterday when it wasn't -27

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

So much so that the groomers were having a challenge dealing with so much snow at one time.

They might's been telling you they were having a hard time but they also failed to say they were having a lot of fun doing it at the same time :)

I remember we could leave straight from the cottage to the trail right across the bay and go anywhere 3 years ago

I bought a trailer 2 years ago and find now we have to trailer everywhere  if we want to snowmobile

Yesterday we trailered 15 mins up the road from the cottage to get on a groomed trail

I hope this is "NOT" the norm just give us 60 + days of ride able trails

What I can't figure out is how people spend $15,000 on a sled then don't want to spend the money trailering. If I had that coin in the sport I would not be happy getting 200-300km a year.

2 hours ago, Brodieman said:

I'm new to the sport and traveling to ride is part of the game IMO. Exploring Ontario, road tripping and seeing the sites is a main reason I bought a sled. I definitely don't expect to ride locally for 12 weeks in the Peterborough area that's for sure!  I've had my sled for three weeks, had 10 days off riding since then and have 1229km in so far.  Having a blast.

We got in with the same mindset 6 years ago. But finding time to get away for a 3-4 hour pull every weekend soon wears on you. Not to mention the budget of away from home lodging and meals and the fuel for the rig.  In normal winters we still need to trailer no matter what. But when we can both get away from work early on a mid week day, come home, load up and be on trail in less than an hour it's heaven compared to a rushed Friday afternoon then battle Weekend warrior road traffic to whatever accommodation we can get. 

And work week evening rides on 'SnowRoamer trails is great stress relief not to mention a weeknight supper ride to the Spoon in Mt Forest, the Gorge in Elora or the Edge in Orangeville.  All within a quick and easy 25 minute pull to Park n Ride spot. 

But as the OP has pointed out these current conditions and the long range forecast cast a doubt on if any of that will happen in '18. 

it is what it is... it is cyclical, it's weather, it's geography, topography ect... if you don't want to trailer more than this or that... you wont ride... it's that simple.

when you make those hard choices, you have no one to blame but, yourself. there will always be snow to ride somewhere between dec 1st, and april 15th... how bad do you want to ride?

Ski

2 hours ago, Poo Man said:

What I can't figure out is how people spend $15,000 on a sled then don't want to spend the money trailering. If I had that coin in the sport I would not be happy getting 200-300km a year.

Because, not everyone who owns a snowmobile (a) lives "up north", (b) drives a pickup truck, (c) has room to store a trailer.

Archived