Sault Ste Marie to Halfway Haven - doable with no gas in Searchmont?

PortAvenger

Hi All,

We have a trip planned for Early February which includes a leg of our ride from Sault Ste Marie to Halfway Haven.

I have just read, there is no gas in searchmont.

Is this ride doable without carrying additional gas?

26 minutes ago, PortAvenger said:

Hi All,

We have a trip planned for Early February which includes a leg of our ride from Sault Ste Marie to Halfway Haven.

According to expert opinion on this forum it is not possible to get to Halfway from Soo without extra fuel.

The following seems to be the consensus on the best way to do the trip if you are trailering to the Soo:

"heyden corners now has a gas bar, not sure you can park there (I have never saw people park there). might be better to call carl at driftwood valley chalets in searchmont, and stage there. easier access, security for trailers/trucks is better. and no worries about fuel by starting there."

17 minutes ago, PortAvenger said:

Hi All,

Ride up to the last fuel along Hwy 17 at Goulais River by the Zone Bar & Restaurant / Hardware.  There is a spur trail no longer showing on the ITG (not sure why?) which is groomed and takes you right to the gas.  This is a 3 mile detour off and 3 miles back to the main trail which goes around the north side into Searchmont.  With topped off tanks our Cats including a ZR-7000 make it to Halfway Haven no problem.

Don't get lost or you may need a spare couple gallons.  If you stay on track, no problem.  If there is a problem, you may be able to setup in advance with Carl at the Driftwood lodge in Searchmont (right on the road/trail) to get a 5 gallon can of gas.

Again, don't get lost and no problems.  By the way, when the gas gauge finally starts reading "FUEL" where the gauge had the RPM, you still have 2 gallons left.

That stretch from The Zone to Halfway is about 125 miles.  They are re-routing around the portion of Whitman Dam Road the guy is plowing to his house the last couple years.  Just a mile longer, but will have snow when it warms.  Thanks Trailblazers. 

9 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

According to expert opinion on this forum it is not possible to get to Halfway from Soo without extra fuel.

The following seems to be the consensus on the best way to do the trip if you are trailering to the Soo:

"heyden corners now has a gas bar, not sure you can park there (I have never saw people park there). might be better to call carl at driftwood valley chalets in searchmont, and stage there. easier access, security for trailers/trucks is better. and no worries about fuel by starting there."

Or you could make it easy on yourselves and just trailer to the Driftwood in Searchmont as PLC says above.

We stay at Blueberry Motel and Campgrounds and ride from there.  Just a kilometer before and across from the Zone on the east side of Hwy 17.                                             

47 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Thank you for the response, however this is part of Day 3, of a 7-Day 2,750km ride.

I want to confirm this route will be possible.

Last year, our group started at the Fairfield Inn in the Sault, fueled in Goulais River, and rode to Halfway.  It had snowed for four days previous to our ride and we were pushing fresh snow a large part of the way.  Of our 4 sleds, only 1 actually ran out of fuel about a Km from Halfway.  The Apex and the Vector have 34L tanks and the Apex ran out and the Vector had less than 1/2 L left.  The Skidoo Enduro and Viper with the larger tanks were fine.  It is 180 Km from Goulais to Halfway and if conditions were good, I expect we could all have made it.

We left from the Sault and made arrangements with Carl @ Driftwood for fuel on our way to Halfway and again for the trip back. 

Archived