Can’t wait for Snow.... Going to Cochrane

Pota

My pleasure.  Great seeing you and the hubby again as well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any of you riders in Cochrane this weekend Polar Bears just posted this : 

Polar Bear Riders Snowmobile Club

47 mins · 

Wallet found on trail of Andrew Arnold from Orillia. Message Polar Bear Riders to get it back. Its Andrews lucky day. It could of easily got groomed into the A trail to never be seen again.

Got home last night from a fun filled 2.5 days in Cochrane, trails are still in great shape, All the local clubs are doing an amazing job grooming. Stayed at the Westway again. Had a nice dinner with a group of us on Thursday night, Kenny and his wife from the Polar Bear club, Soupkids and his son, met Tricky, Muskoka Mike and Alllison that works with Wild Bill and her friend Dave had also come up with us. Ended up riding about 425 miles over a couple days, left Cochrane in the am as there was some freezing fog and faceshields were all icing up.

Dodged a big bullet on the way home yesterday, Got pulled over for doing 115km in a 90 zone about 15 min south of Cochrane and the very nice OPP officer sent me off with just a warning.

The only issue of the trip was one of the guys driving a brand new 18 850 had an injector failed but the local dealers all jumped in and got him looked after.

Looking forward to our next trip to Kirkland Lake next weekend, sounds like we will be meeting up with Ultrafrozen. 

cochrane.jpg

cochrane2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Got home last night from a fun filled 2.5 days in Cochrane, trails are still in great shape, All the local clubs are doing an amazing job grooming. Stayed at the Westway again. Had a nice dinner with a group of us on Thursday night, Kenny and his wife from the Polar Bear club, Soupkids and his son, met Tricky, Muskoka Mike and Alllison that works with Wild Bill and her friend Dave had also come up with us. Ended up riding about 425 miles over a couple days, left Cochrane in the am as there was some freezing fog and faceshields were all icing up.

The only issue of the trip was one of the guys driving a brand new 18 850 had an injector failed but the local dealers all jumped in and got him looked after.

Looking forward to our next trip to Kirkland Lake next weekend, sounds like we will be meeting up with Ultrafrozen. 

cochrane.jpg

cochrane2.jpg

Glad you had a great time... nice pics.... you are more ambitious than I am.... 5 hour drive one way to ride for a couple of days.  

Glad you and Karen got some quality time together riding the Great White North.  Nice to see you last weekend, get your miles in 'cause it's hit and miss down your way for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, Nunz said:

Dodged a big bullet on the way home yesterday, Got pulled over for doing 115km in a 90 zone about 15 min south of Cochrane and the very nice OPP officer sent me off with just a warning.

cochrane.jpg

cochrane2.jpg

Love the riding up there, if the hockey schedule allowed it, would be up there riding as well.

Cochrane rocked again .down to timmins and back 370.ks of some fast trails

20180120_141743.jpg

20180120_143846.jpg

Go down that trail and see how far it goes.  Not 164 km, that's for sure.

image.png.808aa278c0c7fba98db77bc3dc84f857.png

49 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Go down that trail and see how far it goes.  Not 164 km, that's for sure.

image.png.808aa278c0c7fba98db77bc3dc84f857.png

It shows the short run on the map .but it was a nice run to the hwy and back 

That trail to Quebec was abandoned in order to get a new groomer.  The Quebec/Ontario east/west loop is now destroyed.

55 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

That trail to Quebec was abandoned in order to get a new groomer.  The Quebec/Ontario east/west loop is now destroyed.

IIRC they lost a groomer and as a result they had to drop that trail.  With 2 groomers they would have been spread too thin for that amount of trail.

That was a great trail.  Glad I got to do it twice.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:46 AM, Pota said:

Extreme, I’m arriving in Cochrane Monday, any chance of meeting up for ride tue-thurs?

i am heading to the westway tomorrow

ride mon tues wednesday home thursday

i will be riding solo as well 

just doing loops from there

white skidoo renegade

On 2018-01-16 at 5:49 PM, Pota said:

I see the weather forecast for the next couple weeks in the area I ride  ( Huntsville ) isn’t looking to promising. I decided to get off my ass, and booked a few days next week at the Westway in Cochrane. I will arrive Monday night and ride Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday. Having spoken with Nunz and reading the forum, I plan on doing loops from Westway. In no particular order, I will ride to Kap one day, canyon 2nd and to Timmons 3rd day. This will be my first time up there and I am looking forward to it. I am flying solo and am wondering if I can tag along with anyone for 1 or all days. Or if anyone cares to venture up I’d be glad to meet up for a ride. I hear the conditions are great and can’t wait any longer down here.

Pota, for you and anyone else heading Cochrane way, the trail and snow conditions were excellent this past mid week. We rode Tuesday - Thursday inclusive, 1040 km total from Cochrane to Hornepayne and back. There seemed to be more snow in the Hearst and Hornepayne areas than in Kap/Cochrane. All the local loop trails north of Hearst, and the D108A to Hornepayne were awesome. The trails further west were certainly less used and in perfect shape. If riding the Hearst loop trails coming from the east (Mattice), be sure not to take the dead end L153 trail beyond the hard left turn onto the L161. It is signed but easy to miss. Ask Soupkids about this potential mistake. L161 starts out as a narrow bush trail down to and across the river, but only for a km or 2, then it is smooth sailing. We had no regrets about skipping the Timmins or Canyon loops, but have done them many times before. 

It was great to meet Nunz, Soupkids and son Austin, and 1049 and Pam, and others on this trip. Sorry to Miss DenisOO7 on Wednesday night due to illness, but there will be another day. Denis, I hope you are feeling better.

As has already been stated, Pota, ride with others for your safety. There is no shortage of riders to join up with.

Hearst 4.jpg

Hearst 3.jpg

Hearst 2.jpg

Hearst 1.jpg

Hornepayne.jpg

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Glad you had a great time... nice pics.... you are more ambitious than I am.... 5 hour drive one way to ride for a couple of days.  

9 hour ride for me about 900 km's. Want to go in march? 

1 hour ago, wrecker said:

i am heading to the westway tomorrow

ride mon tues wednesday home thursday

i will be riding solo as well 

just doing loops from there

white skidoo renegade

Wrecker -- Pota & I are heading up to Cochrane together tomorrow afternoon (Sunday), also planning to ride the same 3 days as you are, then head home Thursday morning.  We're staying at the Westway as well, but not likely to arrive until 8:30 or 9 PM tomorrow night...Pota's Ford F-150 towing my Triton trailer...happy to have you tag along with us on our day loops, if you wish...we'll be doing the Canyon one day, and other 2 days still to be decided, likely over to Kap and back one day, and down to Iroquois Falls and Timmins the other.  Pota has a Polaris Switchback, and I've got a black & yellow 'Doo Blizzard...keep an eye out for us at the Westway.

irREVerent

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Pota, for you and anyone else heading Cochrane way, the trail and snow conditions were excellent this past mid week. We rode Tuesday - Thursday inclusive, 1040 km total from Cochrane to Hornepayne and back. There seemed to be more snow in the Hearst and Hornepayne areas than in Kap/Cochrane. All the local loop trails north of Hearst, and the D108A to Hornepayne were awesome. The trails further west were certainly less used and in perfect shape. If riding the Hearst loop trails coming from the east (Mattice), be sure not to take the dead end L153 trail beyond the hard left turn onto the L161. It is signed but easy to miss. Ask Soupkids about this potential mistake. L161 starts out as a narrow bush trail down to and across the river, but only for a km or 2, then it is smooth sailing. We had no regrets about skipping the Timmins or Canyon loops, but have done them many times before. 

It was great to meet Nunz, Soupkids and son Austin, and 1049 and Pam, and others on this trip. Sorry to Miss DenisOO7 on Wednesday night due to illness, but there will be another day. Denis, I hope you are feeling better.

As has already been stated, Pota, ride with others for your safety. There is no shortage of riders to join up with.

Hearst 4.jpg

Hearst 3.jpg

Hearst 2.jpg

Hearst 1.jpg

Hornepayne.jpg

In spite of not taking the correct turn it was a very neet ride into the back country of the area, LOTS OF SNOW.

There is a waterfall in the area that is apparently beautiful,  I'll be damed if I can remember the name, just a short back country ride from where i was.

13 minutes ago, soupkids said:

In spite of not taking the correct turn it was a very neet ride into the back country of the area, LOTS OF SNOW.

There is a waterfall in the area that is apparently beautiful,  I'll be damed if I can remember the name, just a short back country ride from where i was.

Thunderhouse falls. A bit further North... follow the river you're sure to find it.

IrREVerent I'm riding to Cochrane Thursday morning.... possibly via the canyon, still undecided. 

I've got a double room booked for Thursday, you're welcome to the other half of it....  :)

22 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Thunderhouse falls. A bit further North... follow the river you're sure to find it.

IrREVerent I'm riding to Cochrane Thursday morning.... possibly via the canyon, still undecided. 

I've got a double room booked for Thursday, you're welcome to the other half of it....  :)

Anybody up for a challenge.?.

7 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Anybody up for a challenge.?.

Wear a life jacket and a SPOT tracker ....

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Thx, Denis...appreciate the offer, but  Pota and I will be trailering back home Thursday morning. We'll catch up with you next trip up, which should be fairly soon.

Well we just finished our trip with 800 ks under our belts,today we rode the lumberjack loop and the nursery loop and they were mint to say the least  ,little bit of chop on A coming back into cochrane which is from all the sledders in town this weekend, Jack Pine trails around Iroquois falls were tabletop yesterday on our way to timmins ,with the forecast for Muskoka looking Grimm I can see the visa is going take a beating this winter chasing snow,hoping our next mission is the gowganda,shining tree,Sudbury run 

10 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Good to hear.. were headed to westway thursday..:smil9::icon_steer::icon_dance-cpatch::-D

X 2...we're almost to NL now, should be in Cochrane by 8...Canyon tomorrow...Yee haw!

Archived