Parry Sound ride

Micar

Trailered to Parry Sound to ride the yellow sections today. 

Parked @ the old Jolly Roger, $15 to park for the day and the restaurant is closed FYI. (rather pay the $15 than feel guilty and eat @ the crappy Golden Griddle)

The railway bed and Rose Point trails were great for the most part, a few rough sections and rocks. Found a few trails to nowhere??!!! 

The C North was really rough with lots of washouts and rocks. Glad I didn't change the carbides yet!

Tried to ride down towards Rosseau but didn't have the right map or the GPS and really missed the ITG app....

Got stopped by two really nice OPP, who gave us a bit of a trail update. 

Got about 50 miles in all together, not a bad first ride of the year. 

Won't take much traffic or warm weather to shut these down unfortunately, glad to be able to ride!

Parking in mactier is free. 

Didn't wanna pay either, but I was there and it woulda cost me more  than $15 in Diesel to find somewhere else to park. 

I'm glad I wasn't letting the Tcat eat when we met the cop's!...

25 minutes ago, Micar said:

Parked @ the old Jolly Roger, $15 to park for the day and the restaurant is closed FYI. (rather pay the $15 than feel guilty and eat @ the crappy Golden Griddle)

The railway bed and Rose Point trails were great for the most part, a few rough sections and rocks. Found a few trails to nowhere??!!! 

The C North was really rough with lots of washouts and rocks. Glad I didn't change the carbides yet!

Tried to ride down towards Rosseau but didn't have the right map or the GPS and really missed the ITG app....

Won't take much traffic or warm weather to shut these down unfortunately, glad to be able to ride!

$15 to park.... They won't be getting any more business from me. I have stayed there in the past and it was "marginal" but good for trail access. Last time we were there, restaurant was closed although they told us they had an onsite restaurant when we booked and we had a dead TV that they couldn't do anything about since maintenance was gone for the day.... when we got back from riding.... still no TV... maintenance forgot and was gone for the day. They didn't seem to care either. They couldn't switch our room or get one from another room or even give us a price reduction.

21 minutes ago, zoso said:

15 bucks to park. I would never park there nor go in there in my lifetime.

Nice to have options though and it does cost money to keep parking lot clean. If I was going to park overnight I would gladly pay 15 bucks, for day. 

6 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Nice to have options though and it does cost money to keep parking lot clean. If I was going to park overnight I would gladly pay 15 bucks, for day. 

Parking overnight I would likely be more agreeable. Parking for a few hours to go riding for a day, hmmmm. The Esso station on hwy 12 Waubaushene is a prime example. Is there somewhere I can park for the day... sure, lots of room behind the building. Just don't block the garbage bins please. So many other businesses have also said sure and asked to avoid specific parts of the lot but nothing more. I will go out of my way to patronize those places in future and usually manage to do something that day like fill the sleds and truck with gas at the end of the day.

47 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Parking overnight I would likely be more agreeable. Parking for a few hours to go riding for a day, hmmmm. The Esso station on hwy 12 Waubaushene is a prime example. Is there somewhere I can park for the day... sure, lots of room behind the building. Just don't block the garbage bins please. So many other businesses have also said sure and asked to avoid specific parts of the lot but nothing more. I will go out of my way to patronize those places in future and usually manage to do something that day like fill the sleds and truck with gas at the end of the day.

I agree with you and try hard to do the same thing. I even had one business clean my truck off for me when it snowed, nice people. 

On 16/01/2018 at 4:28 PM, Micar said:

Yes definitely avoid that for parking and possibly staying at and eating lol. 15$ just to park for the day I find that ridiculous! You should have just turned left instead of right off oastler park dr exit and 3 kms down the road there is a plowed out section township owned off cargil rd and right beside C-ALT trail. FREE overnight parking there, also if staying here or wanting a good meal there is Grand Tappattoo resort, The log cabin inn, lil joes restaurant, memories of muskoka restaurant just to name a few that are all excellent places to either stay or eat and they support the clubs. The two local OPP patrolling our area trails are a good team so far and do enforce having no permits which is nice and they are helpful to the sledders as was in your case. 

Trails are what they are and we are doing the best with them with what we have to work with. Some more snow fell today a few cms worth of fluff but its better than nothing. We do need more snow to make trails perfect again.  Hope to see you on the trails one day, cheers. 

Thanks SuperG.

I won't be giving them my business again. Pulling a 23 ft trailer with a crew cab dually I knew they had the room.

I have never trailered to Parry Hoot before. We usually ride over from home in Huntsville. 

Would love to get out for a ride with some guys from over that way to see the sights. 

Micar

10 hours ago, SuperG said:

15 might be a little steep for the day, but if not staying or eating, if I owned it you would be paying too.

as pointed out, costs money to maintain and clear.

lots of liberal trough eaters around I guess

46 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

15 might be a little steep for the day, but if not staying or eating, if I owned it you would be paying too.

as pointed out, costs money to maintain and clear.

lots of liberal trough eaters around I guess

Business goodwill to your past and future customers. If they were displacing paying customers from parking fully understand a charge. The lot is cleared regardless so parking there doesn't create "additional" expense. I have parked after asking permission at a resort I hadn't stayed at before. Their response was sure and directed me to where was best for them.

Snowmobilers tend to support those who support snowmobilers. At least I do. After parking for the day I went in and booked a weekend at their resort for an upcoming trip.

Gas stations that have let me park... I make sure to fill up the sleds and truck before leaving and when in the area will patronize that gas station again regardless of the season.

It's something like the business owner or even the private land owner that allows a trail to cross their property. Go out of your way to say thank you. Sure glad that the Jolly Roger doesn't charge for trail access to their property.... they must realize that without snowmobilers they wouldn't have any business during the winter.

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Business goodwill to your past and future customers. If they were displacing paying customers from parking fully understand a charge. The lot is cleared regardless so parking there doesn't create "additional" expense. I have parked after asking permission at a resort I hadn't stayed at before. Their response was sure and directed me to where was best for them.

Snowmobilers tend to support those who support snowmobilers. At least I do. After parking for the day I went in and booked a weekend at their resort for an upcoming trip.

Gas stations that have let me park... I make sure to fill up the sleds and truck before leaving and when in the area will patronize that gas station again regardless of the season.

It's something like the business owner or even the private land owner that allows a trail to cross their property. Go out of your way to say thank you. Sure glad that the Jolly Roger doesn't charge for trail access to their property.... they must realize that without snowmobilers they wouldn't have any business during the winter.

X2  I usually leave with sleds full of gas, and belly full of food depending on the location of where i park

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Thank you for making my point.

You fill up - eat - or stay - park away - you just want to park - pay - that simple.

34 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Thank you for making my point.

You fill up - eat - or stay - park away - you just want to park - pay - that simple.

I didn't make your point at all. I may not be a customer today but I sure may be a customer in future and far more likely to be if you don't nickel and dime me for something like parking. Especially a place like the Jolly Roger or whatever they call it today. If not for snowmobilers they wouldn't have enough revenue to keep the lights on in the winter. Now they want to alienate a potential customer.

In the case of this business... they won't be getting anymore of my business regardless. Booked a weekend and found the restaurant on site they told me about wasn't open. Then the TV didn't work but they couldn't do anything since their maintenance dept. was closed for the day and they forgot to have it addressed while we were out riding the next day.

In contrast another nearby resort (Tapatoo) also with a large lot to plow let me park there for the day without any suggestion of paying a fee. The next winter, not that winter when booking for the family day weekend it was the first place that came to mind.

Lots of businesses do lots of things for GOODWILL. Then there is the word of mouth goodwill that small act which costs them nothing will earn them in return. I tell 3 people and they tell 3 more people who tell 3 more etc.

Countless opportunities to earn loyalty. I had a sled that wouldn't start. Call up the local service. In this case Wild Bill. I was just closing but come on over. I'll wait for you. I'll put it in the shop overnight in case it's cold related and we'll look at it in the morning. I didn't really know Bill and he didn't really know me at this point. That bit of goodwill is part of what has made me a loyal customer.

Honestly I would rather pay the $15 to park than eat in the shitty restaurant anyway...Lessoned learned, next time I'll park somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I didn't make your point at all. I may not be a customer today but I sure may be a customer in future and far more likely to be if you don't nickel and dime me for something like parking. Especially a place like the Jolly Roger or whatever they call it today. If not for snowmobilers they wouldn't have enough revenue to keep the lights on in the winter. Now they want to alienate a potential customer.

In the case of this business... they won't be getting anymore of my business regardless. Booked a weekend and found the restaurant on site they told me about wasn't open. Then the TV didn't work but they couldn't do anything since their maintenance dept. was closed for the day and they forgot to have it addressed while we were out riding the next day.

In contrast another nearby resort (Tapatoo) also with a large lot to plow let me park there for the day without any suggestion of paying a fee. The next winter, not that winter when booking for the family day weekend it was the first place that came to mind.

Lots of businesses do lots of things for GOODWILL. Then there is the word of mouth goodwill that small act which costs them nothing will earn them in return. I tell 3 people and they tell 3 more people who tell 3 more etc.

Countless opportunities to earn loyalty. I had a sled that wouldn't start. Call up the local service. In this case Wild Bill. I was just closing but come on over. I'll wait for you. I'll put it in the shop overnight in case it's cold related and we'll look at it in the morning. I didn't really know Bill and he didn't really know me at this point. That bit of goodwill is part of what has made me a loyal customer.

It's called The Super 8 now, good name for a dump, but even dumps have costs.  If your not gonna use the place you should pay to park.  Also don't think Tapatoo is doing all that great even in summer as I never see the grounds busy going by on the skis.  Hard to compete with cottage rentals sign of the times I guess.

On 1/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, Baylaker said:

Parking in mactier is free. 

Where?

Suppose I could ask inlaws lol, but always wonder where quick and convenient place to park in Mactier .

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's called The Super 8 now, good name for a dump, but even dumps have costs.  If your not gonna use the place you should pay to park.  Also don't think Tapatoo is doing all that great even in summer as I never see the grounds busy going by on the skis.  Hard to compete with cottage rentals sign of the times I guess.

Agreed, pay to park if you aren’t buying or staying.

cheers

12 hours ago, Canuck said:

Where?

Suppose I could ask inlaws lol, but always wonder where quick and convenient place to park in Mactier .

Few spots you can park in MacTier.. You can park for Free right across the street from The Cove on hwy 69.  The Trail goes right into the Parking lot.  Also on 12 Mile Bay Road there is a turn around that you can park and access the trail.

8 hours ago, There's a Blizzard coming said:

Parking in

Coldwater in big parking lot behind arena is free I believe. Ask on Smart facebook or call president of Smart, Don Martin.

Yes it is free... no charge for parking at the arena. The C trail runs right behind the arena parking lot.

3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Hey O2. Where can I get free parking in Mississaga? I might be their customer some day.

Countless places.... mind you finding trails to ride would be tough. Take a look at Walmart. If you're traveling in your RV you can park in their lot and spend the night for free.

Archived