Abitibi Canyon

Bearman

1 hour ago, gobills said:

I'm sure you do move past a 800 850 on a straight trail.  Probably not in the twisty trails more like moving a tank in the woods.

They are actually lighter then they use to be. Power to weight ratio is steller. I have been looking at sled dry weights. Just not my type of sled anymore. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

They are actually lighter then they use to be. Power to weight ratio is steller. I have been looking at sled dry weights. Just not my type of sled anymore. 

True. Now that Yamaha has admitted they don't know how to build sleds and get cat to do it, they are much better!

Post on Faceplant tonight the the Base Camp is going to be doing the trips to Moosonee this winter.

10 hours ago, gobills said:

I'm sure you do move past a 800 850 on a straight trail.  Probably not in the twisty trails more like moving a tank in the woods.

Every sled has their good and bad.....Ha!

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Post on Faceplant tonight the the Base Camp is going to be doing the trips to Moosonee this winter.

I was talking to them about that on Tuesday when we where up there.

Had lots of time to chat as me and my son where the only ones there at the time.

Sounds like a cool trip, 3 days.

Soup,

I have done that trip in Feb. 2009.  There was a group of 8 that did it.  I would think it is a lot easier now with sleds getting real good mileage.  I used my 01 T-Cat 121 and made it.  I would recommend a 137 both for deep snow and to bridge the bumps since there is NO GROOMING north of the Canyon.  Kind of a once in a lifetime thing to do with your son.

BP

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 11:38 PM, revrnd said:

$850 seems a little steep for that trip

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Headding up there after the family day weekend. Good places to stay with a restaurant and I do not want to trailer once I get there.

Assume you are meaning you are going to Cochrane. Only spot with an on site restaurant is the Thriftlodge or the Panda and possibly the North Adventure Inn. I have no knowledge of the rooms at the Panda and would not recommend NAI.  Westway is a great spot with Timmies across the street but you have to travel to other food. You need to get reservations made PDQ with the way the season is going in the south.

Westway is always good ,JRs restaurant is not on site ,but very close ,trails are a rocking up there 

JR'S delivers.

31 minutes ago, Blake G said:

JR'S delivers.

What? Wish I had known that is the past .lol

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

JR'S delivers.

Y'ah but those cute waitresses are worth the walk. LOL

33 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Y'ah but those cute waitresses are worth the walk. LOL

I do remember that part of it ,must be why I missed the delivery thing 

• 1 year later...

Going to do Abitibi Canyon from Cochrane in a middle of February. Anybody ride there this year?, What's trail condition? any tips and gas availability? Thanks 

17 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Going to do Abitibi Canyon from Cochrane in a middle of February. Anybody ride there this year?, What's trail condition? any tips and gas availability? Thanks 

Gas trailer has been open for a bit now. If you're concerned w/ the cost of the fuel up there, guys will do the loop clockwise. Fill up in SRF', top up @ the trailer & then down the east 'side' to Cochrane. 

Not sure what the savings is as we've done a few up & backs from Cochrane. We havent done a complete loop, but did ride A103 coming from Kap' to Cochrane to make a longer day.

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

Best bet is to visit,  arctic rider Facebook page, abitibi canyon Facebook page,  and polar bear riders Facebook page for up to date info..

Could have made it, maybe.

But like to support them because without them there not everyone can make it. And if there not there, is there still a loop?

1 minute ago, Crow said:

Could have made it, maybe.

But like to support them because without them there not everyone can make it. And if there not there, is there still a loop?

Guys have made the loop before when they have ran out of fuel etc..

No doubt, but if I'm correct, the PBR post the trail closed if the camp is out of fuel or when they close in the spring.

If they were to permanently close, would PBR and Arctic riders groom it?

I saw on Faceplant that a friend & his buddies were there yesterday. Rode from Cochrane to Kap'.

Archived