Abitibi Canyon

Bearman

Well I am starting to plan our trip. First day from Cochran loop around the canyon. Map says over 500kms. Here in Muskoka area be really really hard pressed to do that in a day. I was told no problem do that in a day there? I am undecided on the next couple days we are just looking for day trips out of Cochran any suggestion would be great and what I should see as I have never been there before. Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Well I am starting to plan our trip. First day from Cochran loop around the canyon. Map says over 500kms. Here in Muskoka area be really really hard pressed to do that in a day. I was told no problem do that in a day there? I am undecided on the next couple days we are just looking for day trips out of Cochran any suggestion would be great and what I should see as I have never been there before. Thanks

Bearman, the Abitibi Canyon loop from (and back to) Cochrane is nowhere near 500 kms...as I recall, it is about 330 km, and yes, it is no problem to do it in a day.  Just be sure to take cash for fuel at the Canyon...last I heard, the price there was around $3 per litre.

Other day trip possibilities include running west from Cochrane through Smooth Rock Falls to Moonbeam clubhouse for lunch and back again (Note: clubhouse is only open from Thursday to Sunday.)  Also, riding down to Iroquois Falls, then west to Timmins for lunch, and back north to Cochrane.  Also try the L103 club trail side loop, which is a nice scenic ride, with some good photo ops, and if it's open (currently is red on the ITG), the L105 club trail  through Greenwater Prov. Park to the lookout is also a very nice little side trip.  Hope that helps.

Yup the fuel is 3 dollars a litre at the canyon cash only.

You will be about 5 6 hours doing the canyon with a good break at base camp.

Agree on the moonbeam for breakfast.  Then you can take some of the loops around kap if you want to extend your day.

Last run we did to the canyon, we went from Cochrane to Smooth rock first thing, had breakfast  there and then ran up to the canyon from that side, only needed the soup up there and then headed back to Cochrane.

Great riding up there. Timmins/Smooth Rock trail section is red but if it greens up during your stay the Cochrane/Timmins/SRF loop is solid. The people at the North Adventure Inn will be able to inform you what trails are best to run

We're headed up next week, and we were also there last March. 

Staged out of Cochrane for 3 days of loops. (~1200kms)

- Day 1 - Drive up and didn't hit the snow until around 2pm, but there was lots of "exploring" to do around Cochrane.  Did the Greenwater Lookout

- Day 2 - Cochrane to SRF for breakfast and fuel top up, then up the Canyon.  Fill up and down the East side. 

- Day 3 - Cochrane to IF, then over to Timmins and their loops, then up the C to the L103 back to Cochrane.

- Day 4 - Cochrane to Kap via club trails and of course the stop at Moonbeam! 

- Day 5 - Drive home.

On the trail by 9am and back to the room by dark all 3 days.  Easy to do!

32 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Well I quess 3 bucks a litre is a small price to pay if ya wanna make er home lol  I'm in.

Go up east side first fill up with fuel at smooth rock, that way when you get to Canyon you will need a lot less fuel. 

6 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Go up east side first fill up with fuel at smooth rock, that way when you get to Canyon you will need a lot less fuel. 

Uh, VR...I think you mean go up the WEST side first, since that's the side SRF is on.

4 minutes ago, gobills said:

west side VR

Oops yes I meant west side; good catch. 

If you intend to end the day back at Cochrane, then first go to Smoothrock and gas up, The go up the west side and play in the canyon for a while (but don't get hurt), then gas up at $3/liter and go down the east side.  My T-Cat can do the east side so any sled can do it.

BP

I much prefer the east side.  It is a much more interesting ride.  However, fueling at SRF does save some gas money for the $5 boiled hotdogs at basecamp.

Ditto for all the above comments, as of last weekend the Greenwater lookout trail has not been opened yet. They have been focusing on the main trails for the time being.

I will be back up tomorrow am for a couple of days.

How long are you staying Nunz?

10 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

How long are you staying Nunz?

Will be up at the Westway by noon Wednesday and heading home Friday afternoon, the plan right now is to do a loop to Timmins tomorrow, Canyon Thursday, Friday loop to Moonbeam and back to Westway to load up and drive home, Have to work this Saturday.

19 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Will be up at the Westway by noon Wednesday and heading home Friday afternoon, the plan right now is to do a loop to Timmins tomorrow, Canyon Thursday, Friday loop to Moonbeam and back to Westway to load up and drive home, Have to work this Saturday.

Monte and I are looking forward to your report!

OF7 and I are heading to Kap on Thursday and we'll be riding the Kap area.  Heading back home on Monday.

Anyone else in the area or interested in joining us?

22 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

OF7 and I are heading to Kap on Thursday and we'll be riding the Kap area.  Heading back home on Monday.

Anyone else in the area or interested in joining us?

I'm booked up already for Thursday night. Hoping to do the Canyon on the way up.  Blaise Tremblay of Arctic Riders SRF is likely to come with me to the canyon. If I do the route I'm looking at, should be about 440 km ... 

Then I'm riding with you guys back towards Hearst. You are talking about NEXT Thursday with IQTurbo & company? 

Text me to discuss it SJ...

27 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I'm booked up already for Thursday night. Hoping to do the Canyon on the way up.  Blaise Tremblay of Arctic Riders SRF is likely to come with me to the canyon. If I do the route I'm looking at, should be about 440 km ... 

Then I'm riding with you guys back towards Hearst. You are talking about NEXT Thursday with IQTurbo & company? 

Text me to discuss it SJ...

Are you doing the canyon this Thursday the 17th, if you are keep your eyes open for us, there will be 5 of us leaving Cochrane in the am.

38 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Are you doing the canyon this Thursday the 17th, if you are keep your eyes open for us, there will be 5 of us leaving Cochrane in the am.

I'll be there the following week. Be my first ever saddlebag ride ....

Trail report as of today.

A trail to L103 beautiful.

East side of L103 is a little rough in places due to only being groomed a couple times.

West side to SRF is wicked fast.

A trail from SRF to kap is wicked flat and fast.

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

Trail report as of today.

A trail to L103 beautiful.

East side of L103 is a little rough in places due to only being groomed a couple times.

West side to SRF is wicked fast.

A trail from SRF to kap is wicked flat and fast.

As it should be!!!!!!!!!! Rock on can't wait to get up there.

Archived