Dubreuilville to Halfway Haven to Timmins

Carm

This is the last leg of our 3 day loop. I have never run Wawa to Timmins; is this a fast section of trail or is it tight? Is there fuel available in Chapleau and Foleyet? Any good look outs or must sees? 

Going to be a long day no doubt. I have never done it either. I heard trail is very rugged terrain and not a fast trail by any means from chapeau to Timmins. Wawa dub side is faster no doubt. 

We've done it once before the route went through Half Way.

You have a big day set out for you IMHO. We stayed in Chapleau the time we did it. From Chapleau to Timmins is  approx.175 miles. It was a full day for us. We lost about 45 minutes getting a rock out of the doo tunnel that he picked up going through a creek. From Chapleau to Folyet was a "work for your miles" trail at that time. Somebody told me it has gotten a bit better since then, but still looks pretty wiggly on the ITG.  From Folyet to Timmins was a little straighter. 

When we went there was fuel and food available in Chapleau and Folyet. The ITG still shows fuel at the Folyet general store and food at the Northern Lights Restaurant( where you can get your pic with an mounted albino moose head ).

Good luck on your trip. Sounds like fun.

That moose head is XTC500's avitar.  The old trail through Missanabie was very slow with rocks and stumps.  Never done the longer route.

BP

dub to wawa approx. 50 MILES, wawa to halfway haven approx. 75 MILES, halfway to Chapleau 60 MILES, chapleau to timmins 175 miles. that is a 360 MILE day. that will be a big day, no time to stop and smell the roses, and you will be putting yourself in a bind if you have navigation, sled, or people issues. it is your call, and your trip but, if it were me planning a group trip... you may be better off, adding a day, going from dub to chapleau, then finishing your trip with the chapleau to timmins  ending. still averaging close to 200 miles per day. your results may vary. Ski

This is not a short trip, but start early and it is faster than in years past.

The "old" trail from Dog Lake (Missanabie) to Chapleau was work and then there was a period where the road (651)had to be used from Ernies to Dalton, but then Big Reg and Luc helped rework the trail and put a new bridge to get that section going again.  At that point it was the fastest way to get to Chapleau from Dub and we used it like an express way.  It was mostly wide open road and very fast.  The washout stopped that and now we run down to Halfway and over to Chapleau.  This is relatively fast, but we skip Wawa if in a hurry and just take trail 5 over the Dam whether coming through from the Magpie or coming down the trail past Hawk Lake and run straight to Halfway to get gas. 

If you go through Wawa and get gas you could find your way past the Polaris dealership and once crossing the big power lines a 2nd time (an almost perpendicular crossing)  look left and follow the tracks up to the lookout.  You can see the bay on a clear day and very nice view.  You will then cross the Dam same as in the faster way to get to Halfway Haven.

After getting gas and lunch at Halfway the trails to Chapleau are some of the best and very fast between Pineal Lake and Hwy 129.  We take another shortcut, but you should follow the trail to the airport or take the trail along Hwy 101 and turn east at the tee and end up at the same gas station by the airport.  From there the trail has been changed to be a bit faster than previous to a few years back.  Foleyet is still a long haul but not like back in the day when your arms felt it and you wanted it to end.  Then the trail continues towards Timmins and has been routed more along 101 than back in the day.  The bridge crossings get old and some of the hills along the way are fun for some and pushes some to run the edge of the road.  When ice is good and many use the water crossings, briges are skipped by some,  I don't recall any of the water being marked as good to cross.  Timmins finally comes and it is the end of a good haul.

My daughter and I rode from south of Chapleau to Horwood Lake Lodge and back to Chapleau in a day last season.  We spent a few hours there eating and riding around also that day.  A couple seasons back we left the Magpie in Dub and rode to Timmins across the top.  Paige and I left at 8:00am and had lunch at Moonbeam Clubhouse.  We pulled into the Microtel in Timmins and took a cab to dinner at 7:00pm.  We continued to Halfway the next day and the final day were back in Dub.  Weather was getting warm and the trails went red the day we were riding through Chapleau.  great trip.

95A7A4D0-55FC-4D88-8019-6CC1D79C835F.jpeg

B65A248F-F921-499E-B977-F16E05A271E1.jpeg

7FEE5311-98B5-4236-826F-849AEC701195.jpeg

6AEA2884-D75B-45FE-9885-C98CE39A7424.jpeg

7058C206-41D6-4BA6-976D-EF62AEB2012B.jpeg

0334A670-6A15-4D2C-885B-EA5BCBC913AE.jpeg

34FAB881-B1EC-4248-889C-07AA326BA52A.jpeg

767454E5-FEB9-4D3C-88D1-F5D76E95D622.jpeg

42157590-D6AC-4B99-BFC5-9CF2B8018035.jpeg

ACDC2B49-1FFE-446E-8440-B2383A8F0A67.jpeg

57801E11-0E54-40C5-B8C9-2D6A68DFC9B6.jpeg

DFACB825-8117-4A02-BF46-CE995ED2AB60.jpeg

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

This is not a short trip, but start early and it is faster than in years past.

The "old" trail from Dog Lake (Missanabie) to Chapleau was work and then there was a period where the road (651)had to be used from Ernies to Dalton, but then Big Reg and Luc helped rework the trail and put a new bridge to get that section going again.  At that point it was the fastest way to get to Chapleau from Dub and we used it like an express way.  It was mostly wide open road and very fast.  The washout stopped that and now we run down to Halfway and over to Chapleau.  This is relatively fast, but we skip Wawa if in a hurry and just take trail 5 over the Dam whether coming through from the Magpie or coming down the trail past Hawk Lake and run straight to Halfway to get gas. 

If you go through Wawa and get gas you could find your way past the Polaris dealership and once crossing the big power lines a 2nd time (an almost perpendicular crossing)  look left and follow the tracks up to the lookout.  You can see the bay on a clear day and very nice view.  You will then cross the Dam same as in the faster way to get to Halfway Haven.

After getting gas and lunch at Halfway the trails to Chapleau are some of the best and very fast between Pineal Lake and Hwy 129.  We take another shortcut, but you should follow the trail to the airport or take the trail along Hwy 101 and turn east at the tee and end up at the same gas station by the airport.  From there the trail has been changed to be a bit faster than previous to a few years back.  Foleyet is still a long haul but not like back in the day when your arms felt it and you wanted it to end.  Then the trail continues towards Timmins and has been routed more along 101 than back in the day.  The bridge crossings get old and some of the hills along the way are fun for some and pushes some to run the edge of the road.  When ice is good and many use the water crossings, briges are skipped by some,  I don't recall any of the water being marked as good to cross.  Timmins finally comes and it is the end of a good haul.

My daughter and I rode from south of Chapleau to Horwood Lake Lodge and back to Chapleau in a day last season.  We spent a few hours there eating and riding around also that day.  A couple seasons back we left the Magpie in Dub and rode to Timmins across the top.  Paige and I left at 8:00am and had lunch at Moonbeam Clubhouse.  We pulled into the Microtel in Timmins and took a cab to dinner at 7:00pm.  We continued to Halfway the next day and the final day were back in Dub.  Weather was getting warm and the trails went red the day we were riding through Chapleau.  great trip.

95A7A4D0-55FC-4D88-8019-6CC1D79C835F.jpeg

B65A248F-F921-499E-B977-F16E05A271E1.jpeg

7FEE5311-98B5-4236-826F-849AEC701195.jpeg

6AEA2884-D75B-45FE-9885-C98CE39A7424.jpeg

7058C206-41D6-4BA6-976D-EF62AEB2012B.jpeg

0334A670-6A15-4D2C-885B-EA5BCBC913AE.jpeg

34FAB881-B1EC-4248-889C-07AA326BA52A.jpeg

767454E5-FEB9-4D3C-88D1-F5D76E95D622.jpeg

42157590-D6AC-4B99-BFC5-9CF2B8018035.jpeg

ACDC2B49-1FFE-446E-8440-B2383A8F0A67.jpeg

57801E11-0E54-40C5-B8C9-2D6A68DFC9B6.jpeg

DFACB825-8117-4A02-BF46-CE995ED2AB60.jpeg

Fantastic report, information, and advice, this short cut you speak of has peaked my interest...

Carm, the way you and Roger ride, you should be able to do this loop.  AC+YA and his daughter ride similar days and distances to your style and he is a great resource in this area of northern Ontario.

Have fun, guys :right_on:

12 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Carm, the way you and Roger ride, you should be able to do this loop.  AC+YA and his daughter ride similar days and distances to your style and he is a great resource in this area of northern Ontario.

Have fun, guys :right_on:

Thanks for the vote of confidence sledjunk, we are all very excited about completing The MooseBack Loop in 3 days.

5 hours ago, Carm said:

Fantastic report, information, and advice, this short cut you speak of has peaked my interest...

We ride even shorter ways, but I told you the shortest route on the map and marked trails. 

I haven’t run the Magpie  Resovior yet, but came down the trail to Hawk Lake a couple weeks ago. It was fast and not even groomed yet.  We came up over the dam and used Wawa trail 5. Beautiful ride!  Saves time to skip Wawa if you can do about 115 miles on your fuel. We seem to make 150 miles plus on a tank no problem. 

Wawa was had great trails if you have time, but that will be a no smelling the roses ride.  

Years ago ago I rode from Blueberry in Goulais River to Searchmont to Chapleau to Timmins to Cochrane and stayed at North Adventure Inn that night.  That was before the groomed trail from Halfway to Chapleau, but there was fuel in Searchmont.  The Canyon the next day and day after to Hearst to relax after loading sleds on the train that afternoon so the morning would be easy and have a day to relax on the train back to Searchmont. 

Miss the train!

56 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

We ride even shorter ways, but I told you the shortest route on the map and marked trails. 

I haven’t run the Magpie  Resovior yet, but came down the trail to Hawk Lake a couple weeks ago. It was fast and not even groomed yet.  We came up over the dam and used Wawa trail 5. Beautiful ride!  Saves time to skip Wawa if you can do about 115 miles on your fuel. We seem to make 150 miles plus on a tank no problem. 

Wawa was had great trails if you have time, but that will be a no smelling the roses ride.  

Years ago ago I rode from Blueberry in Goulais River to Searchmont to Chapleau to Timmins to Cochrane and stayed at North Adventure Inn that night.  That was before the groomed trail from Halfway to Chapleau, but there was fuel in Searchmont.  The Canyon the next day and day after to Hearst to relax after loading sleds on the train that afternoon so the morning would be easy and have a day to relax on the train back to Searchmont. 

Miss the train!

that sounds like a awesome ride. I hadn't found snowmobiles or Canada when the train was running . sounds like great memories

• 2 weeks later...

Chapleau to Timmins is finally green and yellow on ITG. Good news for Carm and crew.

Archived