Quebec Weekend January 20th

pseguin

Looking to take advantage of the open house weekend in Quebec and get some riding in due to the lack of availability in Ontario currently.

Any recommendations for a riding destination this week and lodging?

Leaving from Ottawa.

what does open house weekend mean?

Conditions are all over the place. 

Check carefully.

http://www.motoneiges.ca/actions/showConditionsSentierFCMQ?lg=fr

Ride carefully, too.

There's actual enforcement on the Quebec trails. We got stopped twice to check compliance.

I watched a guy get fined $275 for having a pipe on his sled. 

10 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Conditions are all over the place. 

Check carefully.

http://www.motoneiges.ca/actions/showConditionsSentierFCMQ?lg=fr

Ride carefully, too.

There's actual enforcement on the Quebec trails. We got stopped twice to check compliance.

I watched a guy get fined $275 for having a pipe on his sled. 

I know you must have mirrors on the sled, however is that for qc sleds only, just like the qc snow tire law or does it transcend to out of province plated sleds as well.

17 minutes ago, zoso said:

I know you must have mirrors on the sled, however is that for qc sleds only, just like the qc snow tire law or does it transcend to out of province plated sleds as well.

I think it is selectively enforced.

I cannot see them charging an out of province sled.

We have been stopped more than once by the police, not once did they make mention of the mirrors, permit check and talked about a few things and on our way.

It'd sure suck to find out the hard way. 

The rules are spelled out pretty clearly.

Some guys I have ridden with are surprised there's actual enforcement out on the trails. 

As mentioned, they take snowmobiling seriously in Quebec.

When you register for your free pass, which I just did, you click a box saying you read and understand the safety guidelines. This is what they are, no mention of mirrors.

To safely ride our trails, please remember:

• Have your free temporary trail permit on hand at all times (printed or accessible in your smart phone);
  • The owner of the snowmobile must hold a public liability insurance policy with a minimum coverage of $500,000 and have proof of said insurance in his possession;
  • All snowmobiles must be registered and licensed;
  • The minimum age to operate a snowmobile is 16. In addition, 16 and 17 year-olds must have a valid snowmobile operator's permit;
  • It is forbidden to have more passengers on the snowmobile than the capacity listed by the manufacturer;
  • Always keep right and stay on the trails.

33 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

It'd sure suck to find out the hard way. 

The rules are spelled out pretty clearly.

Some guys I have ridden with are surprised there's actual enforcement out on the trails. 

As mentioned, they take snowmobiling seriously in Quebec.

That they do....and the majority areas that I have rode, seriously appreciate the tourism and have gone way out of there way to accommodate you!

Does anyone actually know a person from out of province that was fined for the mirror law and where they were when they were fined?

Myself, when and if I go back for another trip, I will not worry about the mirror rule...maybe when it bites me in the arse, I will though......

8 hours ago, zoso said:

When you register for your free pass, which I just did, you click a box saying you read and understand the safety guidelines. This is what they are, no mention of mirrors.

To safely ride our trails, please remember:

• Have your free temporary trail permit on hand at all times (printed or accessible in your smart phone);
  • The owner of the snowmobile must hold a public liability insurance policy with a minimum coverage of $500,000 and have proof of said insurance in his possession;
  • All snowmobiles must be registered and licensed;
  • The minimum age to operate a snowmobile is 16. In addition, 16 and 17 year-olds must have a valid snowmobile operator's permit;
  • It is forbidden to have more passengers on the snowmobile than the capacity listed by the manufacturer;
  • Always keep right and stay on the trails.

No mention of helmets there either. 

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cs/V-1.2

2. No off-highway vehicle shall be operated without the following regulatory equipment:(1)  one white headlight;(2)  one red tail-light;(3)  one red stop light at the rear;(4)  one rear-view mirror firmly attached to the left side of the vehicle;(5)  an exhaust system;(6)  a braking system;(7)  a speedometer;(8)  any other equipment determined by regulation.

8 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

No mention of helmets there either. 

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cs/V-1.2

2. No off-highway vehicle shall be operated without the following regulatory equipment:(1)  one white headlight;(2)  one red tail-light;(3)  one red stop light at the rear;(4)  one rear-view mirror firmly attached to the left side of the vehicle;(5)  an exhaust system;(6)  a braking system;(7)  a speedometer;(8)  any other equipment determined by regulation.

Good Point. I have to wonder though, if I had never ridden in QC., if I were relatively new to the sport, would I know about mirrors. There is no doubt I would be pretty sure about a helmet, as that is the law everywhere. I will still reattach my mirrors for my rides there. Why have a hassle or worse a fine.

8 hours ago, stoney said:

That they do....and the majority areas that I have rode, seriously appreciate the tourism and have gone way out of there way to accommodate you!

Does anyone actually know a person from out of province that was fined for the mirror law and where they were when they were fined?

Myself, when and if I go back for another trip, I will not worry about the mirror rule...maybe when it bites me in the arse, I will though......

I used a self adhesive style convex mirror on left side of the cowl on mine. Out of the way and hardly shows, useless as a mirror but at least it's there if I'm stopped.

I can tell you that in Quebec north of Amos, we were stopped, and checked for mirrors.  The one that did not have one was admonished but was not fined.

BP

Check woorunnertrail.ca. Saint Anne du Lac and north.  Beautiful trails.  Just north of Mt Laurier 

Personally, I think the mirrors and first aid kit should be mandatory in Ontario, as well. 

Booked into the Comfort Inn in Mont Laurier this upcoming weekend.

Trails in town seem to be closed but will trailer a few minutes north to unload for the trails. Anyone with recommendations on a parking area close by and a recommended route?

Jeeze, I hope you're studded!

I was unaware of anything open. 

Wish I could help, but my familiarity is all S and E of Mt. Laurier.

Mirrors should be standard on new sleds, $10,000 -$18,000, throw some dam mirrors in there, especially the ones made in QUEBEC!

2 hours ago, pseguin said:

Trails in town seem to be closed but will trailer a few minutes north to unload for the trails. Anyone with recommendations on a parking area close by and a recommended route?

Why not book a different location that has good trails now?

No trailer needed, just pull in, check in and ride

Sorry, but IMO the mirror thing is mostly useless.....unless you use them and actually use courtesy to those behind you, what is the point?!?!?

The majority of  the folks that do not pull over or out of the way when they can to let those tracking at a faster pace, seem to have mirrors on their sleds.....

I used to have a hand mirror, primary use was to check on sleds on the group that were behind, to make sure they are there....but usually just did a quick visual with a head turn every once in a while instead.

2 hours ago, pseguin said:

The closest trails to your motel seem to show open on the Quebec map. The only closed trail appears to be 63 to the southeast.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:16 PM, pseguin said:

Trails are free for the weekend for those who do not have a Quebec trail pass

thanks for info....kinda funny because isn't this kinda like the free weekend we have that everyone bitches about?...

Archived