Garage Goodies

Dan-Senior

Garage Goodies

For years, I ran electric heat in the garage.  This year, I decided to go with a kerosene heater as my neighbour has had good luck with his.  The results are a much more comfortable heat.  On cold days like yesterday, It took approximately 30 minutes to get the garage warmed up.  Within the 1st hour, it was 20 celcius and t-shirt time.  The unit consumes approximately 1 litre of kerosene per hour, but can be cut back.

This is a great backup device to heat the home in the event of loss of Natural Gas connection or Electricity.

Dan

garage1.jpg

and no working with gasoline, or flammable vapors. kerosene heat is open flame heat, results can be catastrophic. Ski

6 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

and no working with gasoline, or flammable vapors. kerosene heat is open flame heat, results can be catastrophic. Ski

Whimp.

I have a ford air propane heater in my shed and have open gas and stuff all the time, usually because I have forgot about the heater. 

Gotta live life in the fast lane.

friend had a kerosene heater in garage, working on fuel pump issue on sled, line split, gas everywhere, few minutes later POOF, sled in flames, they tried to put it out, (while being burned very badly on face, hands ect... "helper" opened garage door, INSTANT FLASHOVER. burned garage, house to the ground, days before xmas 2016. he his family and kids lost everything.

he himself was in burn unit for months. I take it seriously.  (I know you were kidding soup). Ski

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Whimp.

I have a ford air propane heater in my shed and have open gas and stuff all the time, usually because I have forgot about the heater. 

Kaboom...

Once saw a guy trying to get a camp fire going. He had it smouldering with small flicks of occasional flame. He thought it would be a good idea to pour gas on it. Flame ran right up the stream of gas. He threw the gas can down spraying gas all around including his pants. They and the vinyl siding on the cabin were now on fire. Fortunately there was a garden hose right there that I was able to spray everything down including his pants. He was lucky with only relatively minor burns.

In any area exposed to gasoline (gas tank in sled or mower or gas can) the heater should be 1.5 meters above the floor.  Gas vapors are heavier than air.

Ventilation also is needed.  Spread the heat down to the floor with a low velocity fan up at ceiling.

Any gas spill or use of spray can with flammable vapor - open doors and ventilate immediately.  Have to keep the mixture diluted to avoid the worst.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Whimp.

The shed is probably not very air tight and thus ventilates and the heat source may be raised off the floor.

Needs to be 1.5 meters up minimum and always ventilate shed when the heat is running.

shed is anything but air tight.

7 hours ago, AC+YA said:

In any area exposed to gasoline (gas tank in sled or mower or gas can) the heater should be 1.5 meters above the floor.  Gas vapors are heavier than air.

That's a bloody good piece of information right there Scott. Usually my Big Buddy heater is on the floor, and the sled is up off the ground.

I Doo have a shelf I can use to put the heater on.... in a pinch I can park it on top of the firewood stack.... :cheers:

Archived