A Trail north of Matheson

tricky

The ITG shows the A trail closed from Matheson north to A111C. Does this mean that one cannot get from Kirkland Lake to Cochrane? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would like to stage out of KL tonight and head to the Northern Corridor Tuesday. 

It was the same thing last year. If I remember correctly there was an issue with a club up there (Val Gagne maybe?). Anyway it took some time to get a couple of other clubs to cover the area if I remember correctly. That area is mostly field and road running if memory serves. Shouldn't be too difficult to run side roads to get  through that section.

NO this section is maintained by the district and I recall reading that they were looking for help to start working on that section.  

Yes what IQ said

Thanks for the updates.Ttalked to the district and heard that they are hoping to be 'Open' later this week.

6 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks for the updates.Ttalked to the district and heard that they are hoping to be 'Open' later this week.

If it doesn't get opened before you go, you could always run from Matheson north along Monahane rd. and then Rese rd. up to Montieth and catch the open A north there.

I messaged the polar bear club about the C trail and it's closed due to logging.

Same issue with the A trail maybe ??

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

I messaged the polar bear club about the C trail and it's closed due to logging.

Same issue with the A trail maybe ??

Ask about the C trail when you are in Smooth Rock Falls. Their club the Arctic Riders is working on a re route for the C trail due to the logging, Their groomers run out of a building along the highway close to the welcome to SRF sign.

Please let us know if you find out any info. about the re route.

23 hours ago, tricky said:

Hey Tricky, make sure that you post on here how the trails were in the areas on your loop.  I'm interested in going really SOON!!

That section around Matheson has been hit and miss the last few years.  The club folded.  Kirkland Lake grooms to Matheson from the South and the Jackpine club comes in from the north.  It's a shame they aren't making it a priority.  Really messes up a trip through there.  It's mainly pipeline and farm fields north of Matheson.  Good trail when opened and groomed.  Unfortunately the last few years the consistency hasn't always been there.  Both clubs are trying.  Would make for a long trip in the groomer.  Until it's green I'd say Trailer to Kirkland Lake or Cochrane.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

That section around Matheson has been hit and miss the last few years.  The club folded.  Kirkland Lake grooms to Matheson from the South and the Jackpine club comes in from the north.  It's a shame they aren't making it a priority.  Really messes up a trip through there.  It's mainly pipeline and farm fields north of Matheson.  Good trail when opened and groomed.  Unfortunately the last few years the consistency hasn't always been there.  Both clubs are trying.  Would make for a long trip in the groomer.  Until it's green I'd say Trailer to Kirkland Lake or Cochrane.

Maybe you meant to say Timmins or Cochrane??

I see the A trail from Matheson to the west of Val Gagne is now yellow.  Just need the Liskeard area to get a colour change now.

When we drove through NL on Thursday, it was pretty depressing.  Very little snow.

Archived