Worth the drive to Sudbury

Micar

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks Evil!  You have confirmed my decision.  I guess we are trailering to Kap this weekend.

I'll be in Kap Friday. When will you be there?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OF7 and I are heading there Thursday to ride local until Monday.  We will likely be staying at Advantage Motel at the west end of town beside Papa Francos.  First ride of the season for me (late start this year).

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

OF7 and I are heading there Thursday to ride local until Monday.  We will likely be staying at Advantage Motel at the west end of town beside Papa Francos.  First ride of the season for me (late start this year).

Never heard of that place.  We're staying at the comfort inn. Maybe we will see you after riding.  

4 minutes ago, Evil said:

Never heard of that place.  We're staying at the comfort inn. Maybe we will see you after riding.  

Evil, it's just west of the bridge from the mill. We stayed there in 2000 (Two Bridges Motel I think @ the time) on my 1st northern trip. If you're riding TOP A (paying attention to the trail) it's kind of easy to miss it.

5 hours ago, zoso said:

The STP has for many years ignored the coniston trail out of town. The club has no control and the excuses are never ending. They have a bridge out so they will use that excuse all season even though the groomer could run as far as town from the east. When those controlling the groomers never ride an area it tends to get neglected and placed on the back burner. This is the biggest issue when you let a couple of people control all the groomers in an entire district. Much like the the club out espanola way wanting to run the groomers and being told no from sudbury earlier this season.Who knows the trails better, the club or the guy in sudbury 70km away? Money was the reason.

And that's why the espanola club sunk the Tucker and ripped a track off.

Because they know the trails better.

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Evil, it's just west of the bridge from the mill. We stayed there in 2000 (Two Bridges Motel I think @ the time) on my 1st northern trip. If you're riding TOP A (paying attention to the trail) it's kind of easy to miss it.

Txs Revrnd. I will have to check that place out on Friday. We're in Cochrane Saturday, probably do the canyon Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, soupkids said:

And that's why the espanola club sunk the Tucker and ripped a track off.

Because they know the trails better.

Ya and the stp has never done the same.....oh wait, average of about ten times a year.

You still have my cell #?  Text or call me.

The trail base stayed pretty good in sudbury.

The trail from coniston to chateaux guy has been groomed once.

Hydro is also working in the area and not helping the situation much.

Riding Sudbury south is out of the question but ad you get north things are pretty good.

32 minutes ago, zoso said:

Ya and the stp has never done the same.....oh wait, average of about ten times a year.

Your attitude towards this topic really offends me.

I have put in thousands of hours trying to make things better and advising people on here of the conditions to the best of my knowledge.

Obviously you know the conditions in sudbury much better than I do so I will let you keep doing it.

I have spent countless hours defending you on many different forums because I did consider you a friend with your own opinion even when others thought you where an ahole.

I'm thinking they where right.

52 minutes ago, Evil said:

Txs Revrnd. I will have to check that place out on Friday. We're in Cochrane Saturday, probably do the canyon Saturday. 

Have a good trip!

soup don't take offence  as hard as it is not too, we appreciate your time and effort you put in. We all appreciate your input you give on here about trail conditions being accurate.

52 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I have put in thousands of hours trying to make things better and advising people on here of the conditions to the best of my knowledge.

Obviously you know the conditions in sudbury much better than I do so I will let you keep doing it.

I have spent countless hours defending you on many different forums because I did consider you a friend with your own opinion even when others thought you where an ahole.

really. So the truth about grooming in sudbury offends you. For frig sake, you have said the same things to me.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

You still have my cell #?  Text or call me.

Last 3 digits 741 then yes I still got it. I'll message you. 

16 minutes ago, Evil said:

Last 3 digits 741 then yes I still got it. I'll message you. 

That's it.  Talk to you soon.

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Hey Soup.   Please make sure you keep posting on here for us.  We really appreciate your honest input.  People like me in the southern tier need all the ACCURATE info.

9 hours ago, Evil said:

Here you go - my usual place is the Apollo next door, but might switch to the Advantage as about 40% less expensive and has efficiency units....and it is right on the trail as well.

advantage.thumb.jpg.9bebafbf15e8bb3629331bb200cbfa41.jpg

10 hours ago, soupkids said:

The trail base stayed pretty good in sudbury.

The trail from coniston to chateaux guy has been groomed once.

Hydro is also working in the area and not helping the situation much.

Riding Sudbury south is out of the question but ad you get north things are pretty good.

Thanks soupkids! Will head north from sudbury, like i said just looking to get in a few miles. First time out with the girls this year. I wish i could spare the 14 hours driving to timmins, but have to make do with a short weekend! I was told about a wolf lake loop? 

Wolf loop is awesome.  Make sure you take the side trip to the lookout.

Please report how the trails are, especially the ones to Moonlight and Chateau Guay.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Wolf loop is awesome.  Make sure you take the side trip to the lookout.

Please report how the trails are, especially the ones to Moonlight and Chateau Guay.

I'm purely gessing here.

I would say the trail isn't pretty but rideable.

Once you head northerly from coniston it will get better.

Thanks.  We'll be up sometime this winter.

5 hours ago, slomo said:

Here you go - my usual place is the Apollo next door, but might switch to the Advantage as about 40% less expensive and has efficiency units....and it is right on the trail as well.

advantage.thumb.jpg.9bebafbf15e8bb3629331bb200cbfa41.jpg

Thanks Slomo, we usually stay at the Apollo as well, but last year I think we were the only ones there!   

46 minutes ago, Evil said:

Thanks Slomo, we usually stay at the Apollo as well, but last year I think we were the only ones there!   

We had found that in later years too. Usued to be several sledders staying there. Was the hot tub still shut down/ That may be a contributing factor. Nice to soak the bones after a day's ride.

6 hours ago, slomo said:

Price of the rooms @ the Apollo had stayed the same or gone up & the amenities gone down.

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

We had found that in later years too. Usued to be several sledders staying there. Was the hot tub still shut down/ That may be a contributing factor. Nice to soak the bones after a day's ride.

Hot tub has been shut down for years - changed the basement area into more rooms.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Price of the rooms @ the Apollo had stayed the same or gone up & the amenities gone down.

Actually, I like the place - owners have been very cooperative and friendly each time I have gone - they even know which room I like and make sure there is a microwave and the fridge is on. (even Christmas day once!) Their prices and facilities are not out of line with those of similar places I have stayed. Still prefer places where you walk out in your gear and your sled is right there. The Super 8 in Kap is more luxurious, (more expensive too) but  by the time you hit the parking lot you are already sweating in your riding gear.

Archived