Worth the drive to Sudbury

Micar

Just picked up the sleds from the dealer. The closest place with any colour other than red is Sudbury....thats about 2.5 hours from Huntsville, only have one day to ride. What say you Sudburians, worth the drive?

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you are looking for.

Trail conditions are so so others pretty good.

If your coming up I would trailer to the skead community center.

Head north on the C206D loop, lake is marked.

I would go up the east side and down the west that way you can stop at Rockies for food and gas if needed.

Soup,,

What is the prognosis of the trail opening to the Chateu Guay Motel ?

BP

Thanks Soup, Is there anywhere to stay over in Skead? Never been there, but it's on my bucket list!!! LOL

12 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Soup,,

What is the prognosis of the trail opening to the Chateu Guay Motel ?

BP

Trail is still open, just not directly to Garson.

Have to take the long way around wish depending on your destination is no big deal.

6 minutes ago, Micar said:

Thanks Soup, Is there anywhere to stay over in Skead? Never been there, but it's on my bucket list!!! LOL

Not really.

Check revrnds lodging list, there might be a B&B in skead.

42 minutes ago, Micar said:

Just picked up the sleds from the dealer. The closest place with any colour other than red is Sudbury....thats about 2.5 hours from Huntsville, only have one day to ride. What say you Sudburians, worth the drive?

Mike

Seems there's a bunch of yellow close to home for you. I believe Blake was riding around the Seguin / Parry Sound yesterday and reported it being pretty good.

Capture1.JPG.ae7f2bd14a5a883b17bbbcdfdf4af5d1.JPG

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Trail is still open, just not directly to Garson.

Have to take the long way around wish depending on your destination is no big deal.

You mis-understand me.  The C and D111 to the hotel is RED on the contentious OFSC  ITG.

Are people using the trails even though they are red ?  Is the ITG not to be believed ?

BP

Well spotted o2, Gonna head that way for the day. Where's a good place to launch in Rosseau?

Whats the verdict on Sudbury for the upcoming weekend? Rideable? 

I only have friday to sunday and not sure I want to drive the extra 3 hours to timmins for a short weekend...

Wondering the same thing

If you stay in the North end you  will be fine.

Groomers are moving about today.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Booked into the "moonlight" in sudbury. New to this area, looking at the ITG thinking will head to Shining tree and back on Saturday... any input would be great. Going to have the girls with us so not looking to put on to many miles...

According to the ITG, trail D111 and C are still not open to the Moonlight or Chateu Guay.  There are a few miles there in red.  I need this open too in Feb.

BP

Last year food was very limited in Shining Tree ,  microwave  meals at the gas stop . Owners are good people .

I'am not suggesting not to go , beauty trail maybe take a few snacks .  

22 hours ago, IndyIan said:

Whats the verdict on Sudbury for the upcoming weekend? Rideable? 

I only have friday to sunday and not sure I want to drive the extra 3 hours to timmins for a short weekend...

I live in Sudbury, I'm trailering to Timmins and riding North from there.  Friends of mine were out on Saturday and said we need more snow.

Understandable... but your need more snow might have different meaning than ours. I can see grass! If ibhad more than 1 day to ride i would be heading there aswell... but 7 hour+ trip for me to go to timmins, only 4 to sudbury. Hoping for a decent ride, but expectations are low...

I wouldn't be riding that trail out of the Moonlight if it was RED.  When it's Green it's rough. 

5 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

According to the ITG, trail D111 and C are still not open to the Moonlight or Chateu Guay.  There are a few miles there in red.  I need this open too in Feb.

BP

That trail never sees much grooming and has always been neglected. They used to groom it coming from the garson connection which is now a dead. the groomer is turning off of C at the D trail, if it went to Coniston the furthest it could get is into town at the rail tracks crossing government road as the bridge on government road(not the single lane snowmobile bridge) is out and the groomer can not pass. So even if they decide to groom further along C, there will be no grooming from moonlight to Coniston. I doubt they will do any of it. It will be rideable is currently being ridden every day. Soup could offer better details as I am no longer living on that trail and my info is a week old from the coniston club.

11 minutes ago, monte1214 said:

I wouldn't be riding that trail out of the Moonlight if it was RED.  When it's Green it's rough. 

The STP has for many years ignored the coniston trail out of town. The club has no control and the excuses are never ending. They have a bridge out so they will use that excuse all season even though the groomer could run as far as town from the east. When those controlling the groomers never ride an area it tends to get neglected and placed on the back burner. This is the biggest issue when you let a couple of people control all the groomers in an entire district. Much like the the club out espanola way wanting to run the groomers and being told no from sudbury earlier this season.Who knows the trails better, the club or the guy in sudbury 70km away? Money was the reason.

2 hours ago, Evil said:

I live in Sudbury, I'm trailering to Timmins and riding North from there.  Friends of mine were out on Saturday and said we need more snow.

Thanks Evil!  You have confirmed my decision.  I guess we are trailering to Kap this weekend.

Archived