Best accomidations and restaurant in Timmins?

Carm

Staging out of Timmins for our northern Ontario ride starting Feb 1st. Just looking for recommendations for food and lodging in Timmins. We will be leaving the truck and trailer for 3 days and heading to Cochrane, Hearst, Dub, Chap, and back to Timmins. 

50 minutes ago, Carm said:

Staging out of Timmins for our northern Ontario ride starting Feb 1st. Just looking for recommendations for food and lodging in Timmins. We will be leaving the truck and trailer for 3 days and heading to Cochrane, Hearst, Dub, Chap, and back to Timmins. 

I haven't stayed in Timmins since 2012, but will make a comment. Cedar Meadows is nice, but overpriced compared to other businesses in the city. We stayed @ the Travelodge, which is a bit tricky to get to. Cloes to eats as East Side Marios is next door & the Fishbowl Restaurant (seafood) is just down the street. 

There has been some new places go up @ the west end that are near TOP C. Maybe someone can chime in about them?

Check the link in my signature for more info (including Google Maps location).  

Always stay at Ceder Medows just for convenience it's right on the trail alittle over priced but not bad and it is nice

35 minutes ago, 1049 said:

Always stay at Ceder Medows just for convenience it's right on the trail alittle over priced but not bad and it is nice

I think cedar meadows is a good choice; the spa and hot tub will be a nice way to finish off 1,400km saddle bag tour. 

We usually stay at the Super 8 on the east side. It has had rooms redone a couple of years ago. Very convenient to gas, beer, C trail north and Casey's next door. I don't think you could leave your truck and trailer there as there isn't a big parking area. Lots of parking behind Casey's if you could arrange with them to leave it there.

We have left our trucks/trailers at the Super 8 for a week while on the tour.  Park at the back behind Casey's.

with approx. 2 weeks to go for your timeline... before you fully commit to that loop, you may want to wait until the trail from chapleau to folyette and timmins is at least packed, and listed as limited. that Is a 175 MILE stretch that usually takes awhile to get opened due to manpower issues, during good snow years. right now, it is anyone's guess as to when it may open. your results may vary. Ski

7 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

with approx. 2 weeks to go for your timeline... before you fully commit to that loop, you may want to wait until the trail from chapleau to folyette and timmins is at least packed, and listed as limited. that Is a 175 MILE stretch that usually takes awhile to get opened due to manpower issues, during good snow years. right now, it is anyone's guess as to when it may open. your results may vary. Ski

I already checked with the club, it will be open and green by the end of this week!

15 minutes ago, Carm said:

I already checked with the club, it will be open and green by the end of this week!

Actually I believe there are 3 clubs involved in the 175 miles that Ski mentioned. Chapleau / Folyet / Timmins

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually I believe there are 3 clubs involved in the 175 miles that Ski mentioned. Chapleau / Folyet / Timmins

As per Pat from Magpie Relais, “It will be open by then. Timmins has gone out to help Foleyet you will see color this week.”

We have stayed at the Super 8 many times. They don't ever seem to be terribly busy but we've never had a problem there,other than sleeping in too long in the morning and missing the free(crappy) breakfast. Always plenty of parking available.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:21 PM, Carm said:

I think cedar meadows is a good choice; the spa and hot tub will be a nice way to finish off 1,400km saddle bag tour. 

Do they still charge extra for the hot tub?

I think the trail goes right into the microtel.

8 hours ago, Polaris1 said:

We have stayed at the Super 8 many times. They don't ever seem to be terribly busy but we've never had a problem there,other than sleeping in too long in the morning and missing the free(crappy) breakfast. Always plenty of parking available.

Funny how it goes, we have been there probably 10 different times over the years and the place has been packed and parking lot on downtown side full every time i can remember.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We usually stay at the Super 8 on the east side. It has had rooms redone a couple of years ago. Very convenient to gas, beer, C trail north and Casey's next door. I don't think you could leave your truck and trailer there as there isn't a big parking area. Lots of parking behind Casey's if you could arrange with them to leave it there.

This is where we stay too, Casey's right next door and we leave our truck & trailer in the parking lot behind Casey's.

I was thinking when I replied, that most folks tended to stay on the 'east' side of Timmins. We usually were passing thru on TOP C, so that's why we stayed @ the TL. The year we stayed @ the Cedar Meadows was due to a last minute change in itinerary & a hockey tournament had all the motels booked.

• 1 month later...

Lots of parking @ the Bon Air & right beside L24. Two restaurants next door. Two more groups of sleds here tonight. There were 8 or 9 sleds here besides ours Thurs' night (some had ridden in from Chapleau).

I checked out the Super 8 (just off L24) & the lot was jammed w/ rigs. Snowcross races this weekend so not sure if that's why it was busy.

Now to the Comfort Inn. Can someone tell us as to how you would access it? This morning we were checking out the local trails & also the CI. Followed L27 to the McIntyre Arena only to see signs stating one has to follow road to trail to get to the CI. The motel is a fair distance west of the rink. Can you sled beside the 4 lane road here? 

We also saw sled tracks from L27, across the lake to the north side of the road (just east of the commercial buildings) from here you have to cross the highway.

In the afternoon I spoke w/ a couple at the C & L24 jct looking @ a map. They were looking for directions to the Comfort Inn. I warned them of the situation & they followed us to the L24/L27 jct.

• 2 weeks later...

Four of us stayed at the Ramada last week. Good price, clean rooms, their in house restaurant food was good too. Hot breakfast included was an added bonus. Lots of room to park your trucks and trailers in an adjoining large parking lot. Esso 1 km further down the C trail. We will stay there again. Biggest world problem was having to get beer delivered to the room...lol.

1 hour ago, Bearnecessities said:

Four of us stayed at the Ramada last week. Good price, clean rooms, their in house restaurant food was good too. Hot breakfast included was an added bonus. Lots of room to park your trucks and trailers in an adjoining large parking lot. Esso 1 km further down the C trail. We will stay there again. Biggest world problem was having to get beer delivered to the room...lol.

Hearst & Kap' are very snowmobile friendly...the Beer Stores are right on the trail. :D

3 minutes ago, gobills said:

The super 8 in Kap now has beer buckets for those of you that may arive later than the beer store closing time.

And no I'm not going to start a Beer Store database. Bro' had the info on 1 of our trips. :D

Stayed at Cedar Meadows a couple of weeks ago and paid 99 bucks for a double room for the two of us.  Waterfront in New Liskeard is 150. I can’t imagine any of the other places mentioned in this thread are much less than 99 for a room.  Not sure how this qualifies as overpriced. Please post the prices at these other places. I’m interested.

1 hour ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

Stayed at Cedar Meadows a couple of weeks ago and paid 99 bucks for a double room for the two of us.  

Did you sleep with the horses ?  They used to be waaayy more expensive... I guess they smartened up, got their heads deflated, something....

Archived