E-tec 2 reliability and Gen 4

signfan

I had dirt bikes since 50cc and the broken bones to go along with them. When i turned 16 I saved to buy a 600 class bike  and a good friend was mamed so I decided to wait a bit, become a better road driver. Saved again at 19 to buy and two buddies got gimped up on street bikes so again I thought maybe not. Never really got the itch after that.

Back on track I found this article today about the new etec 600

Excellent info

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2018-ski-doo-mxz-600r-e-tec/

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, crispy said:

I had dirt bikes since 50cc and the broken bones to go along with them. When i turned 16 I saved to buy a 600 class bike  and a good friend was mamed so I decided to wait a bit, become a better road driver. Saved again at 19 to buy and two buddies got gimped up on street bikes so again I thought maybe not. Never really got the itch after that.

Back on track I found this article today about the new etec 600

Excellent info

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2018-ski-doo-mxz-600r-e-tec/

That is an advertisement, not a review.

X2

That is a BRP release blurb that was re-written.  I have a subscribed to Snow-Tech for over 10 years.  They seem to be the most fair of all the magazines when actually talking about the long term tests.  If they seized a piston, they say so.  And they don't crown a Sled of the Year before they have rode it for a season.

BP

The tech info about the new 600 was informative for me. I used to have a ST sub. Always found their reviews to be spot on and Holtzmans tech talk articles were incredible. Looks to me like the ETEC is inspired by his acoustic injection system he developed in the 90's but I could be wrong

33 minutes ago, crispy said:

The tech info about the new 600 was informative for me. I used to have a ST sub. Always found their reviews to be spot on and Holtzmans tech talk articles were incredible. Looks to me like the ETEC is inspired by his acoustic injection system he developed in the 90's but I could be wrong

While it was informative, it was pretty glossy. The best handling, the most responsive, the fastest, most reliable, all just a regurgitation of marketing directly from BRP.  I tend to pay little attention to the hype from a manu, and even less when it is verbatim cut and paste article in a mag. With that being said, there is no doubt this is the most advanced 2 stroke 600 cc engine ever produced and there is no doubt the chassis is awesome. BRP is number one, and is intending to stay there by spending a ton on r&d and not resting or waiting for the others to catch up. Cat may now have the resources to give chase if the new owners want to, but what BRP has done and will keep doing, will make that chase an expensive one, so the money may not be there. Polaris will never have a chance, they pretty much suck at engine design.

Skidoo praises there "paramedial frame design " but doesn't the pro cross chassis already have that ? Pro cross chassiss came out in 2012. And isn't r-motion a glorified Mono shock suspension ? Wasn't the Mono shock implemented by Yamaha like 15yrs ago? Yup BRP rules in the marketing department.

11 minutes ago, Pstn head said:

Skidoo praises there "paramedial frame design " but doesn't the pro cross chassis already have that ? Pro cross chassiss came out in 2012. And isn't r-motion a glorified Mono shock suspension ? Wasn't the Mono shock implemented by Yamaha like 15yrs ago? Yup BRP rules in the marketing department.

Pyramidial chassis started in 2003 with the original Rev chassis. Basically just a bunch of triangulation that gives torsional and longitudinal strength to the chassis.

R-motion is what it is .... a great suspension. Maybe even the best ever.  It IS a truly Progressive rate design and only Polaris makes a comparable design with a much different implementation. 

Maybe you aren't impressed with Doo or their marketing, but I'm sure impressed with their hardware. I wouldn't trade my 800 Rev XS TnT for Anything. Yet ....

52 minutes ago, Pstn head said:

Pro cross chassiss came out in 2012.

The previous Twin Spar chassis was also pyramidal.   DOO tried to sue.  Turns out they did not invent the pyramid. :lol:

They did take the Torque Sensing Link invented by Kirk Hibbert for the R-motion as well as Polaris did too.

44 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Pyramidial chassis started in 2003 with the original Rev chassis. Basically just a bunch of triangulation that gives torsional and longitudinal strength to the chassis.

R-motion is what it is .... a great suspension. Maybe even the best ever.  It IS a truly Progressive rate design and only Polaris makes a comparable design with a much different implementation. 

Maybe you aren't impressed with Doo or their marketing, but I'm sure impressed with their hardware. I wouldn't trade my 800 Rev XS TnT for Anything. Yet ....

Till after this coming weekend.. Denis007 850...

48 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Till after this coming weekend.. Denis007 850...

I dunno. He said you would never buy an etec, after replacing lots of stators, injectors etc in the shop. That didn't last long. Everyone changes there mind when adrenaline hits them. I would buy new 600 etec r, once proven, not sure how many years that will take. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

I dunno. He said you would never buy an etec, after replacing lots of stators, injectors etc in the shop. That didn't last long. Everyone changes there mind when adrenaline hits them. I would buy new 600 etec r, once proven, not sure how many years that will take. 

At a $1300 loss to the dealer.... I'd have bought 2 of em if I could have .... mine should last forever, I'm a little old man ... 

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

No it is not a truly progressive rear suspension. The shock is but it is still sprung with a torsion spring. Polaris is the only manu that has a progressive rear suspension. Look at the picture, you cannot have a progressive suspension using the set up here, note the torsion springs. Your post shows that marketing works.Image result for r motion suspension

Yes you're right... marketing does work. Not telling you how much Doo pays me to say that either... :rotflmao:

My 99 Formula Deluxe 670 with the A.D. Boivin ARM rear skidframe is progressive.... my spine gets progressively shorter after every pile driver bump ...... :lmao:

6 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Yes you're right... marketing does work. Not telling you how much Doo pays me to say that either... :rotflmao:

My 99 Formula Deluxe 670 with the A.D. Boivin ARM rear skidframe is progressive.... my spine gets progressively shorter after every pile driver bump ...... :lmao:

Me too, I really like the slide action skid in the old cat, and it has not been updated for 11 seasons now. 

Identity sledding, its the new political shift. You are what you ride it seems and whatever you ride you bash the other camps fact or fiction matter not just bash, straw man, and burn em down. Not for me

Competition is a great thing. Were it not for constant improvment forcing one camp to up their game? We'd still be on bogey wheels rebuilding Tilotsens.

Gotta hand it to Ski-Doo though for pushing the entire industry to play catch up on chassis since the first Rev and basically improving year on year from the SC-10

Now about that X-tra 14

2 hours ago, Little Ski Doo said:

Does the new 600R ETECH still have the greased main crank shaft bearings in it ?

Yes it does.

6 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

Yes it does.

No worries with these bearings. Have 9150 km's on original etec, no issue with bearings yet. Dealer told me it is good for 20,000 km's. 

I tend to agree.  600HO bottom ends last.  My wife's Rev blew a mag bearing and took out the piston at 13000 km. I bought it like that and repaired it.  3 new crank bearings  (repacked the 4th) one piston and new carb boots. They run smoothly, vibrate less and last longer than the 800.

Personally though, I'd have preferred the 850 style bottom end .... I mean, if we're going to move forward.....

My guess is the 850 will fly alone for a while to see how they hold up and roll the newer bottom end set up into the 600 later on. Serves a new reason to buy one and sticks with a proven winner to avoid all eggs in one basket risk. I like the crank set up on the new 850, I didnt see any info about that on the 600 is it the same 2 piece design with a split rod?

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

No worries with these bearings. Have 9150 km's on original etec, no issue with bearings yet. Dealer told me it is good for 20,000 km's. 

BRP says repack at 300 hours. which is for the average rider 12000 kms.

On 20/01/2018 at 7:34 PM, Denis007 said:

3 years before Pyramidial chassis. There was the Delta box chassis. Where front suspension, engine and rear suspension bolted into the Delta box frame. 

313.jpg

My understanding no more ISO grease in the bottom ends....few more holes in pistons and one big gernade took cases etc last wkd.

29 minutes ago, Lep said:

My understanding no more ISO grease in the bottom ends....few more holes in pistons and one big gernade took cases etc last wkd.

Is injection oil suppose to lubricate new etec's? I am confussed. 

Archived