E-tec 2 reliability and Gen 4

signfan

2018 850 Blizzard is just about done it's break in at 860 KM's. I was able to ride prototype/press units the last two seasons and was blown away by the throttle response! I've ridden a lot of Hi Po sleds and this one really is impressive. As far as fuel and oil usage, I have been riding with Teener on her 2016 600 HO Blizzard and the 850 is not noticeably bad on either even during break in. Got a peek at the 600 Gen 4 today, and it sounds very much like the 850. If we get some snow soon, maybe I can give my 2cents on that sled's performance.

Livin'

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dealer had 4 failures last wkd. One customer ran it dry on oil the other 3 are still on the fence on what happened...lol

6 minutes ago, Lep said:

Dealer had 4 failures last wkd. One customer ran it dry on oil the other 3 are still on the fence on what happened...lol

How do you run a high tech sled out of oil? 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Must not have had a working low oil level auto shutdown. I know some diesel computerized commercial truck engines  that did not come standard with a shutdown system only with a warning system and an optional shutdown system for oil pressure and coolant temp. Other engines available could be programmed as requested for auto shutdown or just warning or derate.

7 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Owner/rider oblivious to the fact that engines need oil ?

Maybe heard the reports that the new engine "runs forever" on little oil ?

Dealer never filled the tank full in the first place ?

28 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Owner/rider oblivious to the fact that engines need oil ?

Maybe heard the reports that the new engine "runs forever" on little oil ?

Dealer never filled the tank full in the first place ?

I wonder how many km's it had on it when it dried up. That would give you an idea if it was filled at dealer or factory.

I did some reading on the new 850 and it shows a lot of promise. The iron inserts for the piston rings is a big winner imo. I've replaced a ton of burnt pistons over the years trying to squeak every drop of hp out of them old tanks pipes etc. Waste of time really now I know better to leave the engine stock and work the clutches.

The priority main oiling is interesting. Is it monitored in or measured in real time? Or is it a case of spray and pray set within the tune to squirt so much so often and thats that?

19 minutes ago, crispy said:

The priority main oiling is interesting. Is it monitored in or measured in real time? Or is it a case of spray and pray set within the tune to squirt so much so often and thats that?

The cylinder and crank oiling calibration is preset to the flow rate designed at Rotax, syncronized to match the demand required ... adjusted by parameters such as Coolant temp, air temp, airbox pressure, throttle position, rpm's, tuned pipe and muffler temp, etc etc etc etc etc.   A good bit of forethought went into this system before they dumped it on the public, the direct oiled crank system is the answer to ultra long term durability.  The grease-packed bearings of the 600/800 have a life expectancy, meaning at xxx number of hours they should be repacked or replaced.  There is no such limit with the 850 setup.

There are and always have been cases where there's a slip in the system, and to their credit, BRP has usually been outstanding in regards to applying fixes very quickly to minimize the potential for failure. 

Without sounding like a poster boy for BRP or Doo, I have to believe they produce the cleanest, most reliable and technically advanced engines on the market, with by far the best dealer/technical support to go with it.

That said, I personally don't feel any particular need to throw myself at a G4 850, for 2 reasons.  First, I fiind they have a higher center of gravity and don't turn like the XS chassis, and more importantly, they're too damned picky on the throttle.  Very difficult to make small adjustments to the throttle without it bucking, that's how much response there is.  I'm in love with my 800 (never thought I'd be saying that) now that I've got the chassis set up to my liking, has all the power I'll ever need and is smoother on throttle input.

41 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

The cylinder and crank oiling calibration is preset to the flow rate designed at Rotax, syncronized to match the demand required ... adjusted by parameters such as Coolant temp, air temp, airbox pressure, throttle position, rpm's, tuned pipe and muffler temp, etc etc etc etc etc.   A good bit of forethought went into this system before they dumped it on the public, the direct oiled crank system is the answer to ultra long term durability.  The grease-packed bearings of the 600/800 have a life expectancy, meaning at xxx number of hours they should be repacked or replaced.  There is no such limit with the 850 setup.

There are and always have been cases where there's a slip in the system, and to their credit, BRP has usually been outstanding in regards to applying fixes very quickly to minimize the potential for failure. 

Without sounding like a poster boy for BRP or Doo, I have to believe they produce the cleanest, most reliable and technically advanced engines on the market, with by far the best dealer/technical support to go with it.

That said, I personally don't feel any particular need to throw myself at a G4 850, for 2 reasons.  First, I fiind they have a higher center of gravity and don't turn like the XS chassis, and more importantly, they're too damned picky on the throttle.  Very difficult to make small adjustments to the throttle without it bucking, that's how much response there is.  I'm in love with my 800 (never thought I'd be saying that) now that I've got the chassis set up to my liking, has all the power I'll ever need and is smoother on throttle input.

We will see what you say next week after a little test ride....:icon_dance-cpatch:B)

I believe Kawasaki had direct oiling on main crank bearings on their 2-stroke triples in the 70's.  H1 and H2 come to mind.  This is nothing new.

To tame the throttle jockey effect, it needs more flywheel like in the older days.  Now throttle response to the point of going over the thong windshield seems to be all the rage.

BP

Widow makers... crazy bikes

As for the 850 info thanks. Certainly interesting to see long life and two stroke mentioned in the same sentence. I wonder how many miles they will go without a build? A friend has 40k kms on his yami 4 stroke... thats nuts

1 hour ago, crispy said:

I had a little 1973 S1 bike.  250 cc triple,  Mosquito fogger.

BP

1 hour ago, crispy said:

As for the 850 info thanks. Certainly interesting to see long life and two stroke mentioned in the same sentence. I wonder how many miles they will go without a build? A friend has 40k kms on his yami 4 stroke... thats nuts

I know of some 850s with between 15-20,000 kms on them. That's pretty good considering all the etec experts on here say there junk..:rotflmao:. If all else fails i WILL snow check something else. They make new stuff all the time..B):icon_dance-cpatch:

A friend of mine has 22000k on a 500ss that he bought new. He's never opened up the engine. He is afraid to put pistons in it now. 2strokes can last. Luck helps too.

5 minutes ago, Daves said:

A friend of mine has 22000k on a 500ss that he bought new. He's never opened up the engine. He is afraid to put pistons in it now. 2strokes can last. Luck helps too.

Luck and not being a retard behind the flipper works too..B)

4 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

not being a retard behind the flipper works too.

That's it !

19 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I had a little 1973 S1 bike.  250 cc triple,  Mosquito fogger.

BP

I had a 73 S2. Loved the sound of those triples. The only picture I have was the one I used to sell it. :(

S2.jpg

I sure do not miss the duel drum brakes!

Boy that brings back memories.  Did you sell it in a basket ?

2 hours ago, Reved said:

I had a 73 S2. Loved the sound of those triples. The only picture I have was the one I used to sell it. :(

S2.jpg

I sure do not miss the duel drum brakes!

Did Kawi use that tailpiece on EVERY bike they built thru the 70's and early 80's ???

lol @ Mosquito fogger .... !!!

22 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Did Kawi use that tailpiece on EVERY bike they built thru the 70's and early 80's ???

Yes !

2 hours ago, Daves said:

He obviously never let Domino touch it :poke2:

Buddy of mine bought an RD350 this summer. Ziinggg zinngggggggg! sounds almost odd these days

I had one in the early eighties. It was a hoot.

4 hours ago, crispy said:

Buddy of mine bought an RD350 this summer. Ziinggg zinngggggggg! sounds almost odd these days

Fun times back then ...spend some time on  a rd350 then got real stupid with a Gamma 500... fun times.

My first bike was a kawi 350 2smoke ,now i putter around on a vstrom 650 ,must be getting old lol.

Archived