oldesledupes

Owen Sound, Wiarton, Tobermory Condtions

Just wondering how the Northern District 9 snow base held up through the thaw?

We had planned to head to Owen Sound/Wiarton next Friday, just wanted to know if they lost everything.

Conditions up there last weekend were amazing.

Thanks!

We still have snow. I'm just a bit north of pike bay and on our lawn we have about a foot of hard packed snow with some fluff on top. I'm guessing the fields and low bushes will have alot of water lying so that's probably the biggest issue but the base is holding up. hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 2018-01-13 at 10:15 AM, Crawdaddy said:

We still have snow. I'm just a bit north of pike bay and on our lawn we have about a foot of hard packed snow with some fluff on top. I'm guessing the fields and low bushes will have alot of water lying so that's probably the biggest issue but the base is holding up. hope this helps.

Thanks so next mild spell hitting next weekend is going to be knife in coffin for a few weeks? Wait and see what happens. Sucks. 

It won't kill the trail base but it will add to more flooded trails. It would take a monsoon to kill the base in the bases in the penninsula bushes. The fields are still flooded. Here's some pics from that tiny bit of yellow near the tub- smooth as glass.

20180114_095613.jpg

20180113_112600.jpg

Edited by Crawdaddy
  • Like 1

So maybe after next warm up spell and fresh snow, could drop in Lions head and ride to tub and back? The gas station there has stage parking available.  

Yea you park in Fernadale and scoot up from there. It's a tour to go from Ferndale to Tobermory and back in a day. It's only 180 or so km but as most people know it's a slower but beautiful trail. 

• Thanks 1

Looks good ,heading up that way  this  weekend :D

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

Looks good ,heading up that way  this  weekend :D

Hopefully don't get rained out. Saturday might be ok who knows. Looks like temps will stay down after next Monday. 

11 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

It won't kill the trail base but it will add to more flooded trails. It would take a monsoon to kill the base in the bases in the penninsula bushes. The fields are still flooded. Here's some pics from that tiny bit of yellow near the tub- smooth as glass.

20180114_095613.jpg

20180113_112600.jpg

Holy crap Crawdaddy.  I had no idea there was still a lot of snow that way.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks like I better see if my sister has some room available at her place.  You made my day!

Shitcha, im glad i could make your day!!!! You guys should do it for sure....even if we do get a bit of precip it could fall as snow and if it's rain it anit going to add up to much...I've done many runs in plus temps to Tobermory and the trails stay firmer longer than one would think-there's enough shade and very little traffic. It was 2014 or 15 (or both) when they stayed well into April...I think it was around 420 when they finally called it a season. 

• Like 1

looks like the temps are going back the right way for the weekend!

Screenshot_20180116-155924.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Shitcha, im glad i could make your day!!!! You guys should do it for sure....even if we do get a bit of precip it could fall as snow and if it's rain it anit going to add up to much...I've done many runs in plus temps to Tobermory and the trails stay firmer longer than one would think-there's enough shade and very little traffic. It was 2014 or 15 (or both) when they stayed well into April...I think it was around 420 when they finally called it a season. 

I love that area.  I can't escape until next week.  Keep me posted.  PLEASE

On 15/01/2018 at 10:59 AM, Crawdaddy said:

20180114_095613.jpg

20180113_112600.jpg

Hows it looking up there .Do you think trails will open this weekend,thanks al

3 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

Hows it looking up there .Do you think trails will open this weekend,thanks al

I'm out at work for the next three weeks so I won't be able to provide any first hand updates but I can e-mail some folks and get back to you. I doubt they will be g2g by this weekend, we lost mostly all the base in the fields and the only runs you'll be able to do will be in the bushes. If the cold and snow keeps coming I suspect they will be open for the weekend of the 10th. But most of D9 could be open by then!

I often check out the NOAA snow depth chart it's really accurate;

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/

There's a pull down bar on the left side, just click shallow snow depth and it will give you a good idea where the snow is and where it is needed. 

I will reply when i get some more updates.

Thank you  .i was hoping to go to bbq this weekend 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:40 AM, wrightonalan said:

Thank you  .i was hoping to go to bbq this weekend 

Tobermory just opened up. Get up there a grab and hand full and let us know!!!!

thanks ,already loaded and heading up tomorrow nite ,cant wait.

Keep us posted

Hoping for a good march for a change. Looks like have to go a fair ways up to drop now. 

Edited by Viperules700

glad to see central Penn open now too! just need some riders up there to pack the snow in the fields. That area sees very little traffic and youll ride for an entire day and when you come back through the fields around Ferndale, if the wind has picked up and there's been no riders on the trail the wind takes all the base away...so instead of being negative VR hook your trailer up and drive 2.5hrs north and doo us all a favour and pack some of that snow down....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Trails were awesome  around tober yesterday, volunteers did a great job getting trails ready for this weekend. A added bonus was the bbq they put on at mt trout camp .nice to meet some of the tobermory club members.we put on almost  200 km ,which is quite a bit for this area .thanks al

• Like 2

Right on man! glad you got out there.. they do an awesome job, it's a wonder how they can get the groomer around in some of those cedar bushes. How where the fields around Ferndale? 

• Like 1

we never made it down that far ,did b loop and 108 down to about miller lake and then back up ,good snow cover on all that section .